From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Message 11 of 30

I have been vegan for almost 10 years. I have continually endeavored to eat more healthfully. I now live a WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) lifestyle, having gradually eliminated processed foods, salt, oil, and sugar (SOS).

There are an incredible variety of greens, grains, beans/legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds available to choose from. 

Go vegan for the animals, the earth, and your health. Watch documentaries like “Forks Overs Knives”, “Plant Pure Nation”, the newly released “Game Changers”, and many others. Learn what a plant based diet can do for you!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

I am Vegan and have been off and on for decades. This year I began a no turning back practice of all Vegan, mainly veggies, fruit and beans. I do it for health primarily but also because of the production practices in the animal products industry.  By saying off and on I mean I did eat ice cream but not anymore. I learned alot from all of the books and online videos available. I mak I highly recommend it.e all my own food and am absultely fine with it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30
Yes, I am a partial vegan. Eating no cow's milk, white sugar, very little other dairy products. Lots of vegetables, fruit & smoothies. Love a big nutritious salad for a meatless meal. Enjoy lots of fish & poultry sometimes.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

Hi everyone. I have been vegan for eleven years, vegetarian six years prior to that and flexitarian four years before that. I was a single mom of four. I "blame" it all on my eldest daughter who watched a film on the FDA in second grade and came home with the revelation that she would "never eat meat again"! That lasted for her until she was out with friends and a Meat Lovers Pizza came along. The kids were fine with no red meat at home. I haven't purchased it since the Clinton scandal. "No Meat Mondays" were a staple in our house three and four times a week. I did buy milk for my kids as they did not like soy nor almond milk. The options of today (oat, hemp, and flavored were not yet available twenty plus years ago).

I was raised on Italian and Mexican recipes. So I will be honest, finding a vegan cheese substitute was hard at first, until I started making my own from scratch. (Cashews are a must in a vegan lifestyle!) I'll never forget when I told my eldest son "look, the Daiya cheese melts just like yours." His reply,"Plastic melts too mom and it does not smell like feet!" 

My grandaughter asked me if I was on Pinterest. I love this media outlet! I get MANY of my recipes from here. My youngest daughter even made my birthday cake from a Pin :-) It was delicious.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

I became vegetarian because every year of my physical exam, I gained 25 pounds yet, I always ate the same.  Plus, the doctor said my thyroid is giving me a problem and wanted to put me on medication.  I told the doctor, I have one year to find out why I'm gaining weight( she had no clue) and why my thyroid is problematic.

So, I researched, and went to Down to Earth cooking classes in Hawaii, they are free to the public and found that we don't have to have meat of any kind to get protein!  Plus, they talk about having B-12 which can only come from meat.  That's another lie!  

Vegetables, the green ones, are builders of so many vitamins!  Protein=Beans( all kinds) and Lentils, Tofu are your buddies. Plus, your cholesterol will disappear.  Dairy, clogs the system,especially cheese.

Tofu tastes like nothing so get your spices out and experiment.  You have to trick your eyes, so example, you love scrambled eggs, take tofu, mash it up put tumeric, garlic, salt and stir fry with vegetables and your eyes see scrambled eggs.

Lentils, you make make a meatloaf, yes, and a stew that tastes like beef stew, yes, you make it the same but add more of your spices, you have no fat, and no cholesterol.

I don't eat eggs of any sort, it's cholesterol.

Pasta= who doesn't love pasta?!  But, there are all kinds so get vegetable kind, yes, there are and taste so good with your awesome Spaghetti sauce you made.  Get away from store bought additives. Make and freeze for later.

Garlic, Ginger, Tumeric, Will become your friends if not already!

Vegetables are a big part of your plate, get to know them, and experiment, yes you become a detective overnight.  Try and even it doesn't taste good, keep experimenting on recipes, go online, YouTube for cooking tips, yes, it works!

My world opened up big time and found out what you've been told since a kid is lies about Meat and Dairy!

when, I returned to my doctor, a year later, my doctor looked at me and said" What have you been doing?"  I said " Is it good or bad?"  She said " Your thyroid problem disappeared, your cholesterol is normal, you lost 50 pounds!" So, what did you do?  I became a vegetarian but haven't eaten meat in a year or ate dairy.  She said " Keep up the good work!"  She said " Since ,your not eating meat,you should take B-12 supplements.

I'm still on this regime for 15 years and will never go back.

I asked my new doctor about my B-12 and she said it was elevated because I was taking B-12 supplements when I moved and found out that this is why- I eat more hummus and it's made with Tahini, that is loaded with B-12 and B vitamins.  

I also don't take flu shots because they don't say what's in it.  I only get colds.

I don't drink Milk, because my son almost DIED from it, yes, it's so true. So, what can you drink?  I drink Hemp, Almond, and Tahini Milk for calcium.  I don't take supplements because of side effects.

I don't take any medications, nor want to ever.

So, want to better yourself and don't take medications, it's your choice!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

I am vegan for ethical reasons. I do not use any animal products. My diet is mostly whole foods and plant based. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

Eating as a vegetarian or vegan is the healthiest way to go!  There are so many recipes and cookbooks to help you with your decision to stop eating meat or at the least cut way back on your animal protein intake. The more healthy veggies and fruits you eat, the more your body will thank you. It helps you lose weight as you will have more nutrients with less calories. This makes our bodies full faster and less likely to overeat. You can start by eating a big salad every day with romaine, shredded red cabbage and carrots and any other salad veggies you wish. Add some nuts or seeds on top for crunch. Have fun!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

My Health and Animal Rights are my MAIN reason for my complete re haul switch! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

VEGETARIAN ! Almost there to Vegan.  I did a complete re haul on my diet when I had Cancer 19 years ago! Never did Chemo or Radiation, the Cancer was removed, and I have had no issues since! Prior to the Cancer I was getting Cysts and Tumors. They would be removed and a bigger one would return until Cancer itself formed.  All Meat and Dairy has been removed from my diet . Veggies & Fruits are number one. I have Tofu , and many tofu products which all are seriously, good! I do not drink soda.  No alcohol and no drugs of any kind, ever ! I drink lots of water, mineral water and my number one go to for any ailment is: Coconut Water. It helps for everything. It can help with a cold / flu , stomach bug especially! Even food poisoning. I use Ginger Root in a lot of my food dishes. I try to eat Kimchi with added Garlic, Onions and Ginger Root. This stabilizes my system and keeps my Immune System at it's best! I have 3 grown sons with families of their own. Only one of my sons and his family follow on the same path as me. I watch as my other 2 sons and their familes have wieght issues and smaller health problems, which worries me, of course! They will not give up Meat! I have warned them of the health prroblems that come from it. My brother too, he is another one who will not switch, he tries at times. But, will not stay away from Meat! Carbs are not even as dangerous as Meat !  But, what I call " White Carbs " [ Sugar, Flour , White Rice ] they are nothing but glue, and plug ones system up to not work correctly, so how is that good ? I highly advise any one to make the siwtch for better health ! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for the past 10 years, and am phasing out dairy and sugar. Focusing my diet on fresh fruits and vegetables has been most helpful. Avoiding baked goods also helps, especially with weight management.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season