Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Help and signs from loved one

I know my husband helps me often from Heaven.  I was very dependent on him, but I know he is helping me because I am doing all the things I need to do and handling it all well.  My family and friends are in awe of how well I am managing the day to day things you have to do.

As for signs, I was once going to put on a Rod Stewart CD but then remembered it had a scratch on it.  My husband was with me when I bought it years ago - my first CD ever.  But I realized it was damaged, so I put the radio on and on it was playing a Rod Stewart song.  I firmly believe it was a sign.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@bk11902161 I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband. My husband died of colon cancer in just ten months. All of it is excruciatingly painful. I do believe in signs from our loved ones and those pennys are definitely from him. As sad as it is, you will, in due time smile every time you pick one up. Thinking of you on this journey no one wants to take. Thanks for sharing 💜🙏

Trusted Social Butterfly

One Step At A Time 🤗

Bronze Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy , I took a break to go to the Japanese Garden today. I saw more butterflies than I have ever seen when I have visited. To me they are signs of life, growth, spirituality, and being free. They are all things to think about and carry with me on this journey.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

One Step At A Time 🤗

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Yes I do believe that loved ones send us messages. I have had several of them but for now I will share one of them. I set up a video call with my husband's daughter. After we had spoken for a few minutes, Alexa turned herself on and started playing George Winston selections. George Winston was my husband's go to artist when he wanted to relax or to have a sense of calm during trying times. The music continued to play until a few minutes after the video call ended. At that time, Alexa turned herself off.

Marcy

Conversationalist

Hi, Carolyn, I wanted to let you know that I too having been having some difficult days now in my second year.  There is an image shared in my GriefShare session of a jar with a ball of grief inside.  Over time the grief ball is still the same size (contrary to the misconception that grief goes away or diminishes) but the jar expands to a bigger space.  The thought is that yes, grief will always be with us, but our environment grows as we continue on our grief journey.  I like the word journey since it implies that there is a continuum to another phase or stage of life.  We are not stuck in our valley of despair but on a path.  What happens on the path varies from individual to individual.  I too smell the roses that my husband planted or see the ferns swaying in the breeze.  At various times of the year, I see different colored butterflies.  Recently I have been seeing white butterflies, which I think is a good omen.  All of these sensory images reinforce that my husband of almost 50 years still has presence in my life.  Like you and others I am facing a new identity whether I like it or not.  I am actually more comfortable with house projects and other tasks.  Take it slow and ask for help.  I am in a calmer place and now reflect before I dive into new projects, particularly since we all live on a limited budget.  Lo and behold, I received some great advice from my HVAC guy the other day, which saved me several thousand dollars.  You can do it too.  We just have to remember we are not alone.  Easier said than done.  Have relaxing weekend and try to do something you enjoy.  You deserve it.  Sue 🦋

Honored Social Butterfly

I had forgotten one of John’s signs. We always would see ladybugs but only down the shore. We always associated them with him because he always commented on them. Every now and again,I’ll spot one at home. It always makes me think of him with the fondest of memories 💜

Conversationalist

Thanks for sharing.  That is literally the beauty of this site.  I too see other signs as well and am comforted by them.  I planted some ferns and Lenten Roses in his memory in an area he had already planted.  Now during the season of Lent, all the Lenten Roses are in full bloom as if smiling at me in remembrance of better times.  What a wonderful sight.  These are the living memories which we enjoy and receive from them.  We just have to keep an open heart and mind.  It is comforting and reassuring.  Sue🍀

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Our loved ones are always with us 💜

Conversationalist

Hi, Carolyn, I agree with you and the many folks who replied to your message. It is uplifting and beautiful, particularly since this topic has been somewhat taboo in our world today.  Ironically some of the nonbelievers become believers once they lose a loved one and receive messages from them.  I started to receive them shortly after my husband died.  I saw his name on many billboard signs, name of grocery clerks who helped me, etc.  I saw butterflies hovering around me in late fall.  That was right before the funeral services.  These were uplifting moments for me, and I needed them badly.  They continue today. You are right about the closeness of our deceased loved ones.  They never leave but are part of our continued lives through our memories of many years of companionship and love.  I am also finding that I remember my husband's words of wisdom when I venture into the unknown house projects and like someone said find the right tools at the right time.  This just goes to show we are not really alone but have to be open to them in spirit.  As I read somewhere this grievance journey is a series of blessings and lessons thanks to them.  I'm glad you shared your feelings, and, in my case, it brought me some "joy."  Thanks, Sue

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Sue, and all for sharing your signs from loved ones. For me it's finding shiny new quarters. When the grandchildren visited their grandfather would let them have his loose change of quarters and dollar bills he kept in a Maxwell House coffee can. Plus when I write to the grandkids I put a few dollars in their cards. So when I was looking for dollar bills I picked up a storage basket next to my chair. Under the basket were several shiny new quarters. I couldn't believe it. Its true these events are comforting. Knowing our loved ones are nearer than we think. Take care.

Conversationalist

I actually started a conversation with the clerk at the grocery store and she talked to me and said my husband's name just guessing I guess.  I was so excited she mentioned Dan without knowing him.  I guess an angel told her.

Bronze Conversationalist

I believe in the angels, too!  Take care.

Conversationalist

Thank you, Sue.

Bronze Conversationalist

I believe in signs from loved ones. I joined AARP many years ago. I posted a photo of a pink hibiscus for my avatar. He loved that hibiscus from our little garden. It bloomed in the warm sunny weather. When I returned to AARP for bereavement and grief loss this past week, I saw the hibiscus as my avatar. I took it as a sign of support from him that I am on the right path and trying to get better. Take care.

Info Seeker

I was never one for believing in signs until recently. My mother passed away on January 20th. The first day the family all came together after traveling to gather at her home, we were outside. My daughter spotted a pink butterfly, which none of us had ever seen. It was more of a blush pink.

My mother absolutely hated pink. However, it's mine and my daughter's favorite color. My mother loved gardening and loved butterflies. Since we have never seen a pink one we did some research on them.

We read an article about the meaning of a pink butterfly. They said it's a way for the recently passed loved one to communicate to others that they are at peace in their afterlife. I truly believe this was my mother letting my daughter and I know she was ok. We were very close to her and I know she was probably worried about us.  The butterfly was representing her and pink to direct the message to us. 

I would like to say each day is getting easier with her passing, but it would be a lie at this point. I know eventually, I'll be able to get through a day without ugly crying. But I'm not sure if the feeling of emptiness or being incomplete will ever change. It's like someone took the main ingredients out of a pie and all your left with is just a crust with small traces of evidence it was an apple pie. 

I guess all you can do is take it one day at a time and hope it gets better. 

Thank you for sharing your story. Jen

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for your poignant post. What a

wonderful sign from your Mother. You will

keep getting those signs, hopefully, and

that is part of what helps us heal and to 

go on living. All the best to you 🙏

Bronze Conversationalist

@CarolynS674392 

Thanks for the uplifting post! It's great to read a positive post that gives us all hope. More people need to recognize that sometimes things do happen that we can't explain as just coincidence. 

Conversationalist

Thank you.  I'm glad it was uplifting.  Nice to meet you.

Honored Social Butterfly

Four plus years later and he’s still helping me 

and sending me signs. When I need some

weird tool that I don’t think I have, 9 times

out of 10 I’ll find it in the garage. He saved everything. And when I turn on the radio

and hear one of his fav songs, I know he’s 

with me. I’ll always be grateful for his help

and those signs 💜

Anonymous
Not applicable

4 comments (1/24/23) I luv this topic Carolyn @CarolynS674392 🤎🤗

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I'm sorry.  I don't know your real name.  I THOUGHT it was Nicole, but I'm not sure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/24/23) Hi Carolyn @CarolynS674392 , it is Nicole 🤎🤗 Took a week off last week to fill up again. There were some things I was not liking on this site. Anyway, missed you guys and I am back 🙂 Luv you guys...

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Glad you are back!!!🌈

Conversationalist

❤️Thanks Nicole.

Conversationalist

I hope others don't find that silly.

Regular Contributor

I definitely don't think it is silly.  I think we receive many signs from our loved ones, but the problem is we don't always recognize them.  When my brother in law died there were many signs but my sister always said they were coincidence.  Then one day when she especially needed him she was driving and looked at the car in front of her and the license plate read with the words he always signed cards and letters with.  That was one sign she definitely recognized.  ....I am sure I received multiple little signs but am still waiting for the big sign that I can't chalk up to coincidence.  I hope you keep receiving those signs Carolyn.......Eileen

Conversationalist

You will, Eileen.💕

Conversationalist

Yes.  Another one is when I going through old papers and stuff in a bag.  This was just a short time after he died.  I came across a movie theatre stub that said "Heaven is for Real."  We saw that movie a long time ago and it was in these papers.  I saved it and since then, it is in a book that I made of memories of him.

Silver Conversationalist

Not at all !!! I believe we receive guidance and support from out loved ones constantly. Hold those thoughts deep in your heart,they will give you great strength..

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP