Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP ASKING FOR OUR PHONE NUMBER WHEN SIGNING IN

Super Contributor

AARP ASKING FOR OUR PHONE NUMBER WHEN SIGNING IN

WHY IS AARP ASKING FOR OUR PHONE NUMBER WHEN WE SIGN IN? I HAVE BEEN AN AARP MEMBER FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND NEVER ASKED TO GIVE MY PHONE NUMBER WHICH I DID NOT GIVE. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@AARPJodeeR, You're just repeating what the website says. I can't receive a text or phone call if AARP won't accept my VOIP phone number. This has to be corrected or many seniors will be dropping memberships. AARP is supposed to be advocating for simpler lives for seniors, not forcing us to pay more money and complicate things. Banks use email verification; why does AARP think it needs more that a bank? It's also ironic that AARP has a 2020 post explaining how to get a free VOIP phone number!

Periodic Contributor

Okay, I would use a cuss-word to you, but I'll refrain.  Protecting our online account, my arse. My phone number shouldn't be made available for that, and there are better ways. All these websites are just being invasive and rude. You're just following the leader and making excuses for whoever that leader is.  You're using high-level software to authenticate, and that nonsense of protecting our privacy is just that. They should say they are making our privacy PUBLIC and tell the gosh darn truth about it. Just stop it. I used to work in software, and I see this for what it is.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You need to provide an alternate method of providing identification. Requesting a phone number is invasive. Here's a thought: Allow users to provide an alternate email address where they can receive their multi-factor authentication code. I can create an email address expressly for receiving the code.

Super Contributor

I give you a standing ovation for your post. I feel as you do. I have NOT given my phone number when signing in. That's something that was done upon sign up many many years ago when I first joined AARP, but NEVER asked me for my phone number since I've been a member. What's with this deliberate invasion of everybody's privacy lately??? It's bad enough what we're all going through with the pandemic...being on lockdown...can't do this or that...yaddy yaddy yaddy. We ARE entitled to our privacy and giving out my phone number over and over is ridiculous. I have no desire to tie all my information into one from one site to another. Email sites...Google...Microsoft...ALL GETTING WAY TOO NOSEY!!! GEESH! 🙄

Periodic Contributor

My exact sentiments. It's about being nosey, wanting to know our every move, and advertising at our phones. This isn't about security; it's about dominance & control. I bark at everybody who insists I give them my phone number and you should hear all the resistance when I give them my 800-number. These places don't pay our phone bills, aren't a financial institution, so they need to butt out of my privacy. Making it mandatory is a huge mistake and they're keeping the software in to pull the plug later and not let us in without giving out our phone numbers. I will let my membership lapse, because I'm truly tired of this. Gaming sites are in on it too, i.e., Steam.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I understand why some sites, such as banks, require multi-factor authentication. It helps prevent someone who somehow acquired my login credentials from getting into a site and actually accessing my money or whatever.

However, I fail to understand why AARP needs multi-factor authentication to access the site. You're not my bank. You're AARP. If someone did manage to log into the site with my credentials, what exactly would they have access to that is so critical (and that they couldn't get just by surfing the internet, in some cases)?  

I'd also like to point out that for many seniors, multi-factor authentication will make accessing the AARP site more difficult. Thanks a bunch for that. 

Moreover, I access the AARP site via my PC and I don't always have immediate access to my phone, so yeah, I'm not down with your brilliant MFA plan.

In summary:  If there is truly a compelling reason for AARP to have multi-factor authentication, you need to explain what that reason is. And you should provide an authentication process that does not involve personal information (though I realize that since I am an AARP member, you have that info on file). And members using PCs should not have to have a phone handy in order to access the site.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP