Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

The Magnolia Tree

Hi you can call me Hubert G.

I remember when I was in high school about 50 years ago. My horticulture teacher visited my house to help arrange my mother Violar plants and flowers in her yard. This was to help me with my grades in school. She agreed. Everything was going fine until the teacher wanted to move certain flowers. Mom said, "You'r not going to move this flower." When everything was over I got an excellent grade in his class. Mom said, "The yard do look better." She always try to be encouraging to her 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls. Dad did too in his on way. He was a hard worker. He showed us how to work. We were a Sharecropper family during the 1930's to 1960's. We moved off the farm into our own house, that we had built by picking cotton to pay for it. (The house is still there today in Lynchburg, SC with the magnolia tree in the front yard) 

We move off the farm in our own house. What a happy day! Dad was able to rest from his hard work for 10 years then he died.  Mom later came down with Alzheimer's disease. I wanted to write down some things mother told me about the pass but now it was to late. She could not carry on those clear conversations any more.

One day while it was my turn to set with her, I decided to write that book. What would be the title of it? I said a prayer, stood up from my chair, walked to my mother's front door and saw the magnolia tree in her yard. I knew I needed more to the title. So a few days late while driving to work I said in my mind, "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That provide to be my first book title.

So now there is a second book and 3 screenplay and more.

I send a challenge out to all. What is your magnolia story? If you live in the eastern part of the United States you will see these tree often. A fellow writer and friend of mine just returned from Switzerland. He saw the trees there too.

Try this, have the passager in your car spot a magnolia tree then have them count to 15, as you drive you should spot another magnolia tree. Let me know if it works and what state you are in. I am in South Carolina.

Love your magnolia (Mom)!

Thanks

Hubert G.

Super Contributor

Come on magnolias! I know there must be a "magnolia street" sign or  more magnolia tree some where out there in your state.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Magnolia2021 wrote:

Come on magnolias! I know there must be a "magnolia street" sign or  more magnolia tree some where out there in your state.

@Magnolia2021,

I had to do some searching, but I found a Magnolia street in a not too far away town.  So here we go.......

Magnolia StreetMagnolia Street

Super Contributor

"Like" your picture "Magnolia"!

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh my goodness, Hubert! Long time no hear. Glad you made it through the winter 2 spring. But what a spring we are having.  Eh?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Hubert!

I don't know if there is a Magnolia Street in my vincinity.  But I'm going to keep a eye out and if I find one, I will be posting it here.  In the meantime,  the only thing I can offer here right now are....

Image result for picture of a magnolia tree

Memories

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

@Magnolia2021,

While we have fond memories of Spring's magnolias, here we're having winter's reality.....snow.  It's been snowing all night and all this morning.  The inches are piling up.  Memories of colorful magnolias now give way to snow covered white pines.  Brrrrr! Countdown to warmer days to come begins today.

Super Contributor

Wow, it is snowing! Not here yet. It is about 70 degrees here today. Look at how Mom's magnolia tree looks in the spring and in the winter when it snows.Mom's tree in the spring.Mom's tree in the spring.

Mom's tree in the winter.Mom's tree in the winter.

Super Contributor

CEDAR TREE leans on MAGNOLIA TREECEDAR TREE leans on MAGNOLIA TREESECOND BOOK, (SEETREE LEANS)SECOND BOOK, (SEETREE LEANS)

When I was about 14 years old I went to the woods back behind our new house to get a cedar tree. I planted it in my Mom's front yard, just a little ways from the magnolia tree. Now, for some reason the cedar tree leans on the magnolia tree. (See above) It made me think about the song "Lean on me" by Bill Withers. The lyrics goes like this "Lean on me, When you''re not strong, I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, T'ill I'm gonna need somebody to lean on".

A few years ago these trees were encouragement for me to paint a cover for my second book. (Look in the upper right hand corner of cover) Do you see the trees? It also give the idea of "Caring".

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Breaking News! I didn't  know until today, November 15, 2019, the story how the magnolia tree came about in Mom's yard. One of my older sisters told me A small magnolia tree.A small magnolia tree.

Mom tree today.Mom tree today.

today that Mom planted two other magnolia trees, but they did not live. Mom found a small magnolia tree about a mile from her house, beside the road. She planted it in her yard. This was over 50 years ago. It lived!

Super Contributor

"AWAKEN MAGNOLIA""AWAKEN MAGNOLIA"

"Awaken Magnolia" I got up this morning and walked over to my Mom's house. I saw Mom's "Awaken Magnolia" in the rising sunlight. The cedar is still leaning on the magnolia tree.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Have you heard the song "This is how you do it"? Well, this is how you do it,

posting the magnolia sign (SC)."THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT""THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT"

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Have someone "befriended" you lately? I visited a man in the hospital a few days ago who had befriended me with some work. He was under going an operation. As I walked down the hallway to the waiting room this is what I saw looking out the window, two magnolia trees. The man is home now. Two mangolia treesTwo mangolia trees

"Befriended".

Super Contributor

"and look! it was very good."  What can I say more? I am small. I am just dust.

Lydia,

Guess what restaurant we went to this weekend for our family reunion? The Magnolia Restaurant in Myrtle Beach SC! The food was good!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

Hubert

Honored Social Butterfly

Hubert,

Hope that reunion was a good one.  I know it was.  And was the choice of restaurant your pick?  Yep!  I thought so.  I can feel ya smilin'!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I did smile. I wonder what "REAL POSSIBILITIES" are there for these pages to get into the AARP Magazine? Your pictures needs to be seen by the whole world.

And it would  really make my day to see my first book cover on the cover of AARP Magazine.

Well, this is just talk from an old man.

Thanks,

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

"Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That is the question today.There must be at least one "Steele Magnolia" that can get this done. What done? Please go back to the first post made on 10-09-18 for more information.

(My favorite post made by Lydia on 10-22-18 is one of the best )

Think now, if Kentucky Fried Chicken is now serving chicken and waffle,(which I must get today) we can get this done.

If these beautiful trees and flowers can come to life from a seed, surely this can come to life. We have the SEED!

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Where did the idea for the title (The Magnolia Tree) come from? Where did the idea for the books and screenplay and more came from after I prayed back in 2001? SEE the next post.

---- Hubert G.

P.S. Don's let The Magnolia Tree die. Post your tree picture so others can notice God's creation.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

IN LYNCHBURG, SCIN LYNCHBURG, SC

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here we go! "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" Today I found this magnolia tree at a rest stop near exit 135 on     I-95 in SC. Can YOU find it and reply with a picture of that tree? Let's see how long it takes

IN SOUTH CAROLINAIN SOUTH CAROLINA

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here it is upright also. Can you find it?

HubertIn SOUTH CAROLINAIn SOUTH CAROLINA

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Is there at least ONE more picture of a magnolia in the world?  --HubertOne?One?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I have not a story to tell, but this I offer in it's sted.

Image result for magnolia tree

Image result for poems about magnolia trees

Super Contributor

"A picture is worth a thousand words" This is so true when it comes to a magnolia tree blossom.

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I am "speechless", the magnolia blossom speeches for itself. God's creation! Patricia Neely-Dorsey said it so well in her poem.

Thank you so much,

Hubert

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hubert,

Have you submited any of your writings to publishers or an agent?  Time's a wastin' you know.   In what you've written, you may have something as beautiful to share as our maggie here.

Super Contributor

"Time's a wastin'"

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Well, I need to get back to the point. I may have been a little selfish.

What is your magnolia story? (pictures of your tree, if you like)

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Just think about this, a couple welcomes their new baby son. His mother on many occasions takes her bundle of joy on the front porch of their house and rocks him to sleep. His mother Anna, eyes is admiring the magnolia tree in her parent's yard next door. The tree brings back to mind the many times she picked flowers of it's branches. Anna's mother told her many years ago how she planted the tree on their first wedding anniversary, over 60 years ago. The smell of it's flowers is so refreshing. It stand so tell, strong and beautiful. Anna remember the spot over there where the mighty oak tree once stood but now is no more. Her daddy had a swing on one of it limbs. Then over there next to the oak was a huge pecan tree. Anna's mother made many cakes and pies from those pecans. Her daddy use to bake the pecans in the ashes of the fireplace.

Anna recall how a powerful hurricane blew down both the oak and pecan tree, but the strong magnolia stood her ground. It only lost a few old limbs.

Now Anna's son has grown up and he and his wife is moving in the house next door to Anna to help look out for her. His father pass away a few years ago.

The young man stood on his front pouch looking over at his mother's then his grand parents house seeing the old magnolia tree. The thought runs through his mind, "how can a tree live longer then a man?" Then he reasoned, "it just do." Then something his mother told him as a boy came back to mind. Anna told him, "one day man will live longer than a tree".

Later Anna passed away. The son came home from her funeral, went out back to the barn, gets a shovel, walked over to the magnolia tree in his grand parent's yard and dug up a small offshoot of the magnolia tree. He then planted it in his yard. He stood over the planted tree looking down at it and smiled, saying "Life goes on, enjoy it".

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

(It is still alright to post your magnolia stories)(This store is not from my books.)

Now the story about Anna continues as her son Teo stands over the newly planted, little magnolia tree. Teo walks to his front porch and sit in his rocking chair. The chair kept hitting the wall of the house as he rocks. Ebony, Teo wife comes to the door asking, "Did you knock honey?" Teo replies, "No, I think the back of the chair just keeps hitting the wall." "Are you ok darling?", Ebony warmly asked Teo. "I will be alright, it just hurts so bad right now", "I just want to sit out here alone for a while", said Teo. "Alright, I will check on you shortly, and the little tree looks nice out there Teo",said Ebony as she walked back into the house."Thank you Ebony, I want to watch it grow", replied Teo.

Teo had questions going on in his head as he looked up into the sky.

(To be continued)

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Lydia,

You are so right. Time's a wastin'. I do have two books published. My first book title is "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?". My second book and the follow up to the first is "Magnolias That Cared About Me feathering THUNDER". Both books are on Amazon. I designed and painted the covers with a $2 paint set from Walmart.

Then I wrote the 100 page screenplay (movie) based on these two books. I sent it to a script consult with 20 years of experience in California. She read it and liked it, stating it would be a costly movie. That being said, I then broke the script down to 3 TV scripts.

On the cover of the first book you will see at the bottom of the book the two main charterers Anna and Ebony. (fiction) My Mom picture is on the top cover. Yes I called a number of agent with no good result. I sent two copy of my book to Oprah, Spike Lee and Steven Spielberg no good result.

Your flower above looks like it is just "reaching out". A photo like this one keeps me writing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP