With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: The Magnolia Tree

Message 51 of 61

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for the great information on the magnolia tree.

I also found that - "Found in the rocks are fossil leaves of many trees and shrubs that show very little difference from the leaves of such plants today: oak, walnut, hickory, grape, magnolia, palm and many others."

You have shown great insight and knowledge. I hope others can see the beauty in them. Not to put one tree above another because they are all God's creation.

Keep up the find work. Thank you AARP for helping us to take it to the next level. 

Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 61

Did you know?

There are around 210 species of magnolia that differ in size, shape, color of the flower and type of habitat. Magnolia trees originate from Southeast Asia and North America, but they have been naturalized to almost all continents in the world because of their beauty. Magnolia usually grows on acidic soils that are rich in nutrients, in areas that provide enough moisture and direct sunlight. It is often planted in parks and on the golf courses because of its ornamental morphology and ability to provide shade. Unfortunately, some species of magnolia are facing uncertain future due to habitat loss as a result of increased human activity.

And.......

Magnolia has dark green, oval shaped leaves that are covered with layer of wax. Leaves are evergreen.

Color of the flower depends on the species and it can be white, yellow, pinkish, purple and green.

Flower of magnolia has pleasant scent that resembles the smell of tropical fruit.

Magnolia blooms from April to June. First flowers develop seven years after planting.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 61

Lydia, Just breath taking!!! (live)

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 61

Thank you Hubert.   Enjoy God's gift today!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 61

Hi Lydia,

Wow!!!!!!! What a beautiful flower. I called you Joyce by mistake before, sorry. I see now Joyce Kilmer wrote the poem "Trees".

Mr. Kilmer was right in writing, "Only God can make a tree".

Hubert G. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 61

Image result for PHOTOS OF THE MAGNOLIA TREEHello Hubert,

My name is Lydia and I am the one who posted the picture of that beautiful magnolia tree back on the 13th of October.  I also posted the classic poem entitled "Trees" written in 1913 by the poetess Joyce Kilmer.  I just wanted to thank you for acknowledging my post.  I am  glad you enjoyed the photo and the poem.  So here's another pic -- this time of the beautiful flower of our delightful tree.  Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 61

Hi Joyce,

What a beautiful tree! Keep writing poems. You bring more life to the magnolia tree.

Hubert G.

P.S. Let your friends know about this site.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 61

What a beautiful tree indeed!  I have no magnolia tree story to tell.  So I offer this photo and a famous and most fitting poem about and entitled simply "Trees"  by Joyce Kilmer.

Trees 
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 61

Hi Ms. Soosie,

Thank you for the kind words. It means so much.

Hubert G.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 61

What a sweet story.  I have a big Magnolia Tree in my front yard and love it.  Neighbors have taken blooms and greenery at different times to decorate.  

I love to write also and have a book.  I have not done anything with it yet, but it is my humorous view of a dsyfunctional family.  It is a self help book written with humor.

Loved your story.  Keep writing.

Kudos
Views