Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

The Magnolia Tree

Hi you can call me Hubert G.

I remember when I was in high school about 50 years ago. My horticulture teacher visited my house to help arrange my mother Violar plants and flowers in her yard. This was to help me with my grades in school. She agreed. Everything was going fine until the teacher wanted to move certain flowers. Mom said, "You'r not going to move this flower." When everything was over I got an excellent grade in his class. Mom said, "The yard do look better." She always try to be encouraging to her 12 children, 7 boys and 5 girls. Dad did too in his on way. He was a hard worker. He showed us how to work. We were a Sharecropper family during the 1930's to 1960's. We moved off the farm into our own house, that we had built by picking cotton to pay for it. (The house is still there today in Lynchburg, SC with the magnolia tree in the front yard) 

We move off the farm in our own house. What a happy day! Dad was able to rest from his hard work for 10 years then he died.  Mom later came down with Alzheimer's disease. I wanted to write down some things mother told me about the pass but now it was to late. She could not carry on those clear conversations any more.

One day while it was my turn to set with her, I decided to write that book. What would be the title of it? I said a prayer, stood up from my chair, walked to my mother's front door and saw the magnolia tree in her yard. I knew I needed more to the title. So a few days late while driving to work I said in my mind, "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?" That provide to be my first book title.

So now there is a second book and 3 screenplay and more.

I send a challenge out to all. What is your magnolia story? If you live in the eastern part of the United States you will see these tree often. A fellow writer and friend of mine just returned from Switzerland. He saw the trees there too.

Try this, have the passager in your car spot a magnolia tree then have them count to 15, as you drive you should spot another magnolia tree. Let me know if it works and what state you are in. I am in South Carolina.

Love your magnolia (Mom)!

Thanks

Hubert G.

Super Contributor

Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming
Head's all empty, and I don't care
Saw my baby down by the river
Knew she'd have to come up soon for air

Sweet blossom come on under the willow
We can have high times if you'll abide
We can discover the wonders of nature
Rolling in the rushes down by the riverside

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

In the Chicago areas, Magnolia trees have sick looking chlorotic leaves and the flowers are practically odorless.

Magnolia2.2.jpg

Presumably, it is because of alkaline soil but other plants are normally green.  I had one in my back yard that got sicker and sicker so I cut it down.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi @aruzinsky 

Oh, but they still looks nice and green. We will still send you our pictures from SC and other places. Right fans? @Anonymous @LydiaN586309 @KayshoneP6222 

0 Kudos

This is my Magnolia sign(SC)My Magnolia signMy Magnolia sign

Super Contributor

See below, "This is how you do it."

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Sometimes we can speak or write many, many words but none of these compare to God's words. Note what is said at Psalms 1:1-3: "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers...."

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @Magnolia2021 

Absolutely heart warming story, and sure it's a great book.  There's a huge Magnolia tree in the yard across the street from my home (TN).  One day my husband brought me flowers from this tree.  They were beautiful, my husband passed away 10 years ago and miss him even more when tree is in bloom.

Look at a Magnolia everday for 30 years nowHeart

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin15723578881442143946833.jpg

Super Contributor

Hi Mrs. Marylin,

Thank you for all the kind words. Those are some wonderful memoirs of your husband. I have given my wife flowers from my mother's magnolia tree also. They make the house smell so good. This is the kind of stories this page was created for.

Thank you,

Hubert

Super Contributor

Hi Lydia,  Thank you again for the tree pic's. It is  amazing how God has made these trees. Think about the way they are made. They are very heavy but very balanced. Every wind storm don't just blow them over all the time. Now, looking back at all these posts on trees and flowers, is there ANYONE else out there that cares? But still the trees live and we breath fresh air. Thankful! Life goes on, so we go on living.

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

From mother magnolia treeFrom mother magnolia tree

For "all flesh is like grass, and all its glory is like a blosom of the field; the grass withers, and the flower falls off."  1 Peter 1:24   Lets care for one another while we are here.

P.S. A flower from my mother magnolia tree.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Hubert!

Just thought about you today and thought I'd say "Hello!"

Lydia

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I post anything. Well, I ran across a song I wrote back in 2016 on my laptop. Got some beat for it in three days. Got someone to sing it. Now you can here and see it on YouTube. "My Magnolia Friend". Can you let me know is you like it?

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Lydia, I wrote and produced two song that you might like. "My Magnolia Friend" and "Magnolias at the Beach" on YouTube. The beach sound in the background of the song is from Myrtle Beach. I drove there and recorded them on my Iphone. Let me know what you think of the songs.

Hubert

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi everyone,

So much is going on now (01/12/21}.  What do you see in this picture that was drawn some 15 years ago? Can you see the magnolia in it?

HubertEbony.jpeg

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Ms. Lydia,

I am still here. The magnolias are still blooming.

Thank you for checking.

Hubert

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I loved your story, and your mom would be so happy that you shared your experiences with her magnolia tree!

I live in California and see magnolia trees all over the place. Right now I'm thinking of one I saw the other day on one of my walks and I remember saying out loud: God, look at your beautiful tree!

I was happy to read that your father lived for 10 years and was able to enjoy living in his own home. I can see the surroundings where you lived by your descriptions.

You brightened my day reading your story!

Sir Granny Tracy
Super Contributor

Hi Tracy, Have you seen any magnolia trees lately? If so how about sending me picture? By the way do you work with the film     Industry there in Calaforia?  Hubert                                             PS. By the we are fixing up Dad  and Mom house. It is still live able. See the pic, in the upper left corner is mom's magnolia tree. We may need to set up a 'Go fund me page'. LoL

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Tracy, We are doing repairs on Dad and Mom house. It was built in the early 60's. I remember so clearly the day we moved off the farm to the city of Lynchburg. A HAPPY DAY!!!!  There was many tears of joy that day.               Huber

Repairs on Dad and Mom houseRepairs on Dad and Mom house

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi All,

I just uploaded a video of my mom's magnolia tree. I know this tree is just another tree as part of God's great creations. But my life had some connections around this tree. So much so that books and screenplays were written

. Let me know if you like the video.

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

"Slow down, watch your speed and see the magnolia trees"! (In Sumter, SC.)Slow down!Slow down!

Watch the trees!Watch the trees!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

What would a pine tree say to the lady of the house if it could talk? "Please plant magnolia trees, because we (pine trees) may not be around that long. These storm that come this way and people using us for building materialsPine TreePine Tree

Mom"s  Magnolia TreeMom"s Magnolia Tree

Pine with Magnolia in back groundPine with Magnolia in back ground

."

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Now, what do you think the lady of the house and yard would say to the humble pine tree? -------- If she is any thing like my mother, this is how it would go, "Stop putting yourself down pine tree. You are just as important to me as any other tree in my yard. That's why I planted you. Keep your limbs (head)up high. God made all things.. By the way some trees live longer than us humans. As long as I am alive nobody will cut you down. Just brace yourself when the storm winds come. I love ALL my trees and flowers." The next day that pine tree stood tall and green in the sun light. That is how it could be "IF TREES COULD TALK"     HubertA Proud pine tree!A Proud pine tree!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Hubert!

As you suggest, the pine tree, much like everything that our Creator made, is equally beautiful.  Though the pine has no colorful flowers to see and smell, it does produce it's "version" in the form of those prickley pinecones.  The pines grow tall and stately and the evergreen is, in fact, "ever green."  So, yes, it has it's own beauty and is worthy of admiration in it's own right.

Super Contributor

What can be said after the truth about the pine trees have been told? Nothing.  Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Mom's MagnoliaMom's Magnolia

Now, what is the BIG question? "Magnolia, Magnolia, Where Are You?"

Don't be ashamed to send a picture of your magnolia tree. It dosn't matter if it is blooming or not. It is still a magnolia tree.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Dear Hubert,

You gave me my first chuckle for the day. It was when you said to send a picture of I'm magnolia tree. And then you said even without the flowers, it's still a magnolia tree. And all I can say is without the flowers,  I wouldn't know a magnolia tree from any other tree. And that's the truth!  Guess I'll have to take a closer look at the leaves.

Lol,

Lydia 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

See, laughter is good! Now how about this, if you all can't find a magnolia tree send a picture of a "magnolia street" sign. How can you find one? Put "magnolia street" in your cell phone map search.Lynchburg (Magnolia) SCLynchburg (Magnolia) SC

Here is one from my city. lol

Hubert

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Did any one see a magnolia tree today?  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Hubert!

I haven't notice any magnolia's lately.  But what I have taken note of lately are the weeping willow trees.  Seems like they're EVERYWHERE!  So beautiful.  So languid--swaying in the breeze.  So nope, no new magnolis.   But I will keep my eyes peeled.

Hope all's well with you and yours.

Lydia

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP