Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

IS IT BAD MANNERS?

Do you find that a private message that was read but not responded to purposely is bad manners?

I do.

Sometimes a lot of thought goes into the composition of a private message and to ignore the message purposely seems rude and insolent.

It is another way of imposing one's power over another.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Bronze Conversationalist

Turning the question around, I've read and ignored occasional private messages on social media. Often the questioner is asking for a free service, counting on sympathy for what amounts to emotional blackmail. I never respond to those.

In your example of a person in a power position, I can relate as an admin in several social media groups where I have had to ban members for various infractions of group rules. Whether I'd respond to a subsequent private message or not really depended on the tone of the message and frankly with my level of annoyance with the reason they were banned, and whether we had had a previously good online relationship. Belligerent, demanding, insulting, bullying, trolling, entitled attitudes don't get a response from me as those are not behaviors I want to reward. Respectful, sincere, tactful messages always get a response.

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , Perfect!  Christine

Honored Social Butterfly

No, I don't find it to be 'bad manners' any more than not responding to an unsolicited email, as a private message is not much different than an email.  With that said, if someone is paid to respond to private messages/emails and they choose not to respond, it's a failure to perform their duties, IMO.

If you routinely express intolerance, please consider the definition of "bigotry".
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@nctarheel , Great question!  It really depends on the nature of the message. I guess we should feel comfortable saying a version of "no comment" if we don't want to be drawn into something. Christine

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for your response, @Rhymesometimes .

The scenario, to be more specific, is a private message being sent to a person with a position of power, who has control over your mere existence in a venue, asking for their opinion on an issue on how that venue is run.

No comment would be a response.

Just reading the PM and giving no response is avoiding their responsibility.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

Thank you for your response, @Rhymesometimes .

The scenario, to be more specific, is a private message being sent to a person with a position of power, who has control over your mere existence in a venue, asking for their opinion on an issue on how that venue is run.

No comment would be a response.

Indeed it would, nc, but not a professional or competent response. It reminds me of AARP St. Mgmt responding to two AARP Members and sayIng they would research and get back to them and over a month later, still 'ghoasting' them.,..

If you routinely express intolerance, please consider the definition of "bigotry".
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP