Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Videos with closed captions

Once all the quizzes are exhausted, mostly what is left are videos to collect more points.  Most of the videos have closed captions as an option, for those with hearing issues, so they can learn while they earn.  

In order to max out point by watching videos alone, you need to watch about 25 videos.  If you need or prefer to use closed captions, you have to start them on each video.

Can't your programmers offer a global setting for this, to turn closed captions on for any video we watch, in the language selected, if available? I shouldn't have to add that many of the people here are in the age range where CC becomes more necessary.

Social Butterfly

@JoLo49 @RussellP197074 @j119054s 

Also wanna add another thought I use Closed Captions with my Alexa Echo Show Exercise Skills its very helpful to read words she's saying as I'm doing exercises .... confirms I'm hearing correctly 

Enjoy stay safe and blessed 

Ginger  ;  )

Social Butterfly

Hello there postees

I do my AARP activities on my Note 8 phone 

I'm deaf(75%ish only hear in right ear half or less)  and read lips but depend on Closed Captions when watch TV and do activities on phone

Not for certain it but believe it may be my settings in phone?? But I don't have to turn on CC for each video as you state Russell @RussellP197074 

Don't think its from settings in AARP but I suggest you check your CC/accessibility settings on whatever your using that may provide you with having "always"on for videos plus you can turn off on any particular video you choose.

Jolo @JoLo49 My reading & understanding of Russell's post is his request for a global program setting to "turn on cc" which also would allow persons whom are not interested in feature to keep/have off therefore it would only be available if wanted same as TV settings are. So his suggestion wouldn't cause anyone any bother... at least that's my take on it. 

I still listen to TV loud and sometimes a few folks haven't liked CC on but most & my family and ex husband adapted and came to enjoy because not everything can always be heard especially phone conversations on TV shows 

CC was truly a blessing for me and made my enjoyment and understanding of TV so much better.... last summer actually went to a movie theater that offered CC poles hooked right in front of chair was super cool 😎 no interference to others with me or around me b4 that I had to bring a device to help increase volume .... always been issue hearing speech over background sounds... so that's a nice new feature when and if ever get back to going to movies. 

Good luck Russell hope you can find it in your settings and thanks for topic because it is a needed service by choice we could use

Enjoy your week! 

Ginger  ;  )

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Closed caption wouldn't be advantageous for the exercise videos, and there are quite a few of them.  Most of the videos are short 2-3 minute segments, so turning up the volume, if needed, is an option.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

JoLo49, you would have to assume that everyone exercises while the video runs. I'd like to know how they squeeze a sometimes 15 minute exercise into what might only be a 3 minute video. If we could do that we would all be in a lot better shape!
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @RussellP197074 

The shorter 2-3 minute exercise videos are mostly strengthening exercise techniques for specific parts of the body to stretch and relieve pain (i.e. shoulders, hips, knee, back), and once you learn the exercise, you can do more repetitions on your own to add more minutes.  Because those videos are so short, I'm not sure if having the close caption would be beneficial.  Reading the closed caption may interfere with trying to concentrate on learning the exercise technique.   I like the 10-15 minute cardio and strengthening exercise routines, and having the sound on helps to keep good rhythm with the demonstrator.  The AARP exercises are low impact and a good alternative to stay in shape during the Covid-19 pandemic since all of the gyms are closed in my area.

Periodic Contributor

the original poster’s idea is a very good one.

it would provide a lot of convenience for Deaf and hard of hearing folks, and it should not be that difficult, technically, to implement.

That is if AARP could implement profiles for everyone, for AARP awards pages.

I would hope that AARP would consult with Deaf and hard of hearing folks about what they would want, rather than relying on random opinions from others about what they think would be best for this community.

I am an accessibility expert, and I have been for more than 30 years.

For example, turning up the volume would benefit some of the Deaf and hard of hearing community in very limited circumstances, and I’m sure those whom it would benefit already do it.

i’m also not at all confident that Deaf/hard of hearing folks don’t want to see what exercise instructors are saying. Perhaps they don’t need to see, every time, but I imagine it would be easier to turn off captions when they don’t, rather than having to turn on captions every time on every video.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP