Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

Apple watch won't sync with AARP

My apple watch quit syncing with the AARP earn rewards on 12/15/2019.  I didn't notice until 1/7/2020 that I wasn't getting rewards points for 10,000 steps a day or cycling work outs.  I called the rewards help line and they reimbursed me missing points  and suggested I remove tracker and resync on my phone which I did but reward points still are being awarded automatically.  I have allowed sharing data on my apple health app.  Everything worked fine up until mid December then just suddenly quit.  When I log into the AARP website on my iMac desktop computer and click earn on the rewards site I see the apple health icon but there is a message next to the icon "An error occurred please refresh the and try again".  Refreshing the page does not remove the error message.  I have tried logging in through both google and safari with the same error message result.  So far I have called the help line twice but te problem still is not fixed.

Anyone else have problem with their fitness tracker no longer syncing?

Any Apple Watch users suddenly have their watch quit syncing with the rewards website?

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Contributor

Wow, I can’t believe the same situation happened to many people. It happened to m as well, as you can guess. I see no point in such watches if they don’t sync. Moreover, mine sometimes showed me the wrong data. For example, it showed much fewer steps, at the day went 10 kilometers by foot. Or I had some extra activity at night (not just a few moves, the numbers I see after harsh training). And no, I don’t walk asleep, and I know it for sure. Anyway, now this useless thing stays in jqueen watch winder

0 Kudos

It used to work, it doesn’t anymore. And no, I am not a computer idiot or senile, I was IT for our district for years. My Apple watch is synced tio my iPhone and iPad, my data is showing in Appl,e Health. I have tried everything, sync and unsync, restart, etc. That AARP recommends. Plainly, the AARP app is deficient. Period.

Trusted Contributor

Did you ever get your apple watch synced so you would automatically get rewards points for steps and workouts?  You said it used to work.  Do you remember how long it has been since it worked. I haven't been able to get reward points for activity for well over 2 years.  Before December 2019 it worked fine.

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I am still having the same problem as you after 2 YEARS.  I have called multiple times and given the same trouble shooting suggestions which don't work.  My account has had an error message whenever I go to "earn" points by watching videos.  It states "an error has occurred please refresh and try again".  This does nothing.  I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support speaking with a supervisor who had me troubleshoot every way possible to get AARP to recognize and give me credit for exercise and steps.  He verified that I had clearly given AARP permission to access this information.  Other apps that I have given permission to access info work fine.  I have an Apple 12 Pro iPhone and things don't work with this phone or the iPhone 7 I had before.  Because AARP just can't fix this problem I am thinking of reporting the Rewards program to the BBB.   

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@rdtetu Thanks for letting us know. You may need to adjust the permissions in your Apple Health app. Check out the troubleshooting steps for your device here: https://aarp.info/3v19IpI 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I clicked the link you suggested above and these are the same things I have been told to do many times. #1 Yes AARP has permission in the Apple Health app.  #2 Yes all the data is populating.  MyChart app and the Lose-It app which also have permission get the data just fine. #3 Yes I have contacted Apple support and spoken with a tech and a supervisor and the supervisor determined that the problem is an AARP problem especially since other apps are able to correctly access and use the data from the apple health app.

I have also taken the next step multiple times which is to directly call the rewards helpline.  The result is always the same.  I am told to go through yet AGAIN these troubleshooting steps with the same result.  Then I get the promise that they will make some type of official request to have a higher up contact me in a few days.  Multiple times the higher up never contacts me.  So here I sit 2 years later with no solution.

Troubleshooting

Apple Health on iPhones & Apple Watches

1. Check permissions in your Apple Health app and make sure AARP Now has access to steps, cycling and swimming data.
  2. Check your Apple Health app on your iPhone and confirm that health data from your phone or watch are populating.
  3. Go to Apple Support for more help. You'll leave the AARP Help website and go to the Apple Support website. Apple's terms, conditions, and policies apply.
Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@ph8624 Got it. Thank you for all of that information. I was able to capture the details and get this escalated to our designated web team. Please allow up to 3-5 business days to receive a response from them via email. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Is anything being done to fix the problem with Apple Health not syncing with your rewards program?? I see I'm not the only one with this happening. All the permissions are there on Apple and Apple support has done all they can. The problem is with your app. Do I have to call every day to get my points manually added? Do something to fix it asap. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hey Wanda,

My apple watch has been syncing with AARP nearly all the time for over 6 months.  If I have a few days where it stops syncing I just log into the AARP app on my iPhone then it will start syncing again. If I never log into the AARP app on my iPhone the watch won’t sync.  Sometimes steps or a bike ride don’t show up until the following day. 

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for the info. Just got my watch last week and nothing would sync but today's swim and yesterday's steps are there today. I'm glad it's finally working for everyone.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have now waited 24 days since you escalated this to the "designated web team".  Still no response.

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Thank you.

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@ph8624 You're welcome!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have patiently waited 13 days since you escalated this problem to "our designated web team".  I still haven't heard from anyone.  Not really surprised.

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hey there. Did you ever get an answer? I was going to use my husbands, since he doesn't use it any more, but if it won't sinc my steps and workouts, it won't do me a bit of good.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Did you ever get your apple watch to sync and give you reward points for steps and workouts?

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

no

Mary Ann Hoffman
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP