Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

WHY IS AARP ALLOWING MISINFORMATION AND LIES ON THEIR WEB SITE????

Honored Social Butterfly

WHY IS AARP ALLOWING MISINFORMATION AND LIES ON THEIR WEB SITE????

I just read an article about the recommendations for Covid-19 vaccine boosters on AARP'S web site. It was easy to read and understand. What concerns me are the comments attached to this article. Misinformation like COVID-19 has disappeared and bold face lies like thousands of deaths were caused by the vaccine are rife throughout the comment section. That kind of thing would be removed from these discussion boards.....WHY AREN'T THEY BEING REMOVED FROM THE COMMENT SECTION OF THAT ARTICLE. This could affect someone's health. Can someone tell me why these comments are allowed to stay attached to the article day after day.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Try this one, but be forewarned, if you're sincere about your concern, it'll really get your hackles up.

Long Running AARP Health Article: What You Need to Know About the Coronavirus 

Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, some of the comments to that one are also WAAAAAY out there - 

But ya know, almost every vaccine has its naysayers - even the really old ones.

Recently we have had specifically defined areas of outbreaks of measles.

Annual flu vaccine rates are terrible.  Wonder even how many elderly even get the ones that protect them from various types (23, I think is the last count) of viral pneumonia or get the new shingles Vaccine.  

All the recommended ones for the elderly are now zero out of pocket.

Wonder how many elderly get a redo of DPT every so often to protect themselves and others?

So what I am saying is there is nothing new here - 

Wonder how many young adolescents are getting the HPV or how many young college students are protected against meningitis B?

Unless, there is some way to pay for play that works or a direct order by powers, which isn’t our way in this society - although we did get close, I think - many people don’t care or maybe they aren’t even aware.

Nothing new here - do what you need or want to do - nobody is gonna trust the experts 100% of the time - maybe a whole lot less.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Excellent points @GailL1  ...Just can't help wondering how much of the WAAAAAY out there stuff is a side effect of a cultural value system that has an unhealthy obsession with competition...rather than cooperation.  Vaccinations, like almost everthing else in life probably are not a zero sum (get em all or get none) consideration.  Competition seems to encourage the over simplification of any question so it can be reduced to a Yes or No argument.  Cooperation seems to at least let us make a reasonable attempt at playing the most favorable odds which is probably far more realistic.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote

I just read an article about the recommendations for Covid-19 vaccine boosters on AARP'S web site. It was easy to read and understand

===============================================

What article?  

Fresh new happenings today on new recommendations on the newest boosters - take your pick of sources 

KHN Morning Breakout 04/19/2023 - FDA Approves Second Updated Covid Booster For Some At High Risk

Are you saying that you don’t want people to be able to say their own experiences or what they think are their experiences?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

What article?

Are you saying that you don’t want people to be able to say their own experiences or what they think are their experiences?

The article is "FDA GIVES OK TO SECOND UPDATED COVID BOOSTER".

Did you read the comments that have been allowed to stay on the site for months in some cases?

They run the gamut from falsely saying "COVID is over" to racial and national origin comments like calling it the "Hunan Virus" to saying darker skinned people get the virus easier because of skin color.

Other comments state the vaccines come from aborted fetuses.

Some comments even talk about male organ size improvement.

I doubt any of these comments would have passed muster on these discussion boards so why are they allowed on the comment sections of AARP'S main articles?????

Trusted Social Butterfly

Ya know @nctarheel  if you would include a link to the specific article you claim to be referencing, the whole topic might seem a little less trollish.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EricC28201 wrote:

Ya know @nctarheel  if you would include a link to the specific article you claim to be referencing, the whole topic might seem a little less trollish.

@EricC28201 

I believe giving the title of the article and knowing it is on AARP's web site should be enough information to locate it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel 

I found this one which seems to be the newest talking about the 2nd Bivalent booster.  

AARP.org 03/28/2023  When Can You Get Another Bivalent COVID Booster Shot?

I read some of the comments and yes some of them are WAAAAAY out there - there is a button to “FLAG” - maybe AARP is relying on you and others reading the comments to “Flag” it - Kind of a self-reporting use of people participating - much like here.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@GailL1  wrote

====================================================================

Maybe it has more to do with curtailing the passing off of buffalo bagels as accurate information on a public forum in a culture that accepts Plausible Deniability as a standard of truth.  Perhaps it is simply a suggestion that those experiences be shared in the privacy of a mental health professional's office.
...you know that pesky old 'Shouting Fire in a Crowded Theater That Isn't on Fire' thing.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Respond to a lie with an expletive, or address the poster directly by using their handle (@whatever) @nctarheel .  First the post might be blocked 'Pending Revision' or it might just be deleted and get you a chastising email.  It'll be interesting to see if anything changes after the recent developments in re: Dominion vs Fox News.

The settlement seems pretty whimpy.  A business like that plans and prepares for things like this.

Back in the 1990's in the I.T. business there was a process called an R.C.A. (Root Cause Analysis) which was required after a failed Change Activity or major service interruption.  The responsible party(s) had to respond in writing answering five questions:  1)  What were you trying to accomplish?  2) Why were you trying to accomplish it?  3) What went wrong?  4) Why did it go wrong?  5) What changes will be made to your processes and procedures to prevent it from ever going wrong again?

Said R.C.A. was then reviewed by all affected parties and if deemed insufficient, it had to be done again until accepted by the reviewers.

Fox News really ought to have to do a very public R.C.A. in the hopes of helping them mitigate their own insanity.

Disclaimer:  This Opinion is in no way intended as a political commentary.  It is a socio-cultural observation with one possible suggestion for remedial action.

...In an unrelated, but somewhat ironic matter the security challenge this time was TET...wonder how many that'll ring a bell for.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EricC28201 wrote:

Respond to a lie with an expletive, or address the poster directly by using their handle (@whatever) @nctarheel

@EricC28201- I am not sure of the point of your comment. My comment relates to offensive, false, and misleading comments allowed on the articles at AARP'S web site and that I am sure those comments would not pass muster here on the discussion boards.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@nctarheel  wrote:

WHY AREN'T THEY BEING REMOVED FROM THE COMMENT SECTION OF THAT ARTICLE.

If ya gotta be spoon fed...Started with things that will get a comment removed (without being FLAGged)...the rest is self explanatory.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP