Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Controlled substance laws unfair to Seniors

Contributor

Controlled substance laws unfair to Seniors

If you suffer from chronic pain and require a controlled drug in order to live

a some what normal life.  Please Read.

Im 66 yrs old, have a chronic back problem that requires opioids daily in order to Lead a normal life.   The government has put so many restrictions on these drugs , doctors and pharmacies that it is making my life and I assume allot of other honest folks miserable.  

I would like to form form a group or organization to fight Washington and get them to rewrite some of these laws to lesson the restrictions on chronic pain patients.   Please reply to this post with comments or suggestions.  I’m open to

any and all ideas, please don’t bash me , I’m suffering and would like to travel for more than 30 days at a time, but due to current perscribing laws, I cannot.

if you like, PM me  [private email address removed from public view to protect your privacy].   Let’s stand up for our rights ! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We need to come up with a list of names or organizations we need to contact. My son suggested the state medical boards. I think legislators need to be made aware. I thought AARP might be a place to contact and maybe they'd have some influence but I talked to at least three people and they said it was something they wouldn't be interested in pursuing....nearly laughed at me. The problem needs to be out there as an issue....not all long term prescriptions mean illegal drug users and post surgical treatment means enough pain control to make the patient comfortable. If you agree, at least contact these:

State Medical Boards

Legislators

Suggestions for others

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BarbaraC520778 wrote

.. . . not all long term prescriptions mean illegal drug users and post surgical treatment means enough pain control to make the patient comfortable

===================

Like @aruzinsky said and linked - CDC issues these guidelines on pain meds esp. opioids and I think that ship has sailed.  Talk to the doc - they may need to review why the pain is still so bad post-surgery and they may be able to recommend something else or another med.

Opioids are now pretty much left for active cancer treatment, palliative care, and end-of-life care.

See the link that @aruzinsky gave - the guidelines are pretty specific, and docs have now had long enough to adjust - pharmacies & even insurance companies are also aware of the guidelines and monitor the use based on the Dx.

Also CDC.gov - Post-Surgical Pain/Acute Pain

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The CDC is responsible for opioid prescription guidelines. You know, the same organization that admitted to incompetence in handling the covid pandemic? 

You had an opportunity to comment to the CDC on the new guidelines several months ago.  I didn't miss the opportunity.

https://www.cdc.gov/opioids/providers/prescribing/guideline.html

Contributor

Along this same line is pain control after surgery. First of all....there is no such thing as a hospital stay after surgery.....nearly everything is outpatient, The prescribed medication is TYLENOL!!! A narcotic may be prescribed for "breakthrough pain" for a very short time. My son just had hip replacement & has been in excruciating pain ever since (10 days). Instructions say "do not let your pain get out of control". I'm nearly laughing in disbelief Tylenol DOES NOT control surgical pain.

I am supposed to have my second knee replacement but with these restrictions in place, I'm going to wait & see if the powers that be won't regain their senses.

I agree with rdonihoo, we need to form a group & light a fire under someone who understands the the difference in over prescribing opioids as recreational drugs & pain control. If you decide to start a "campaign", letter writing or whatever.....count me in.

bscrippen@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

A possible, but, unlikely solution to your problem is to switch to a Schedule IV opioid, which, depending on your state, allows a 90 day supply and 3 refills.  The problem is that you have to be genetically abnormal for any Schedule IV opioid to be effective. 

Some are

Tramadol

Pentazocine/naloxone

Butorphanol

I regularly take pentazocine/naloxone with good results.  I have tried the other two and butorphanol is also effective for me.  Tramadol has no noticeable effect on me.  I reiterate, it is genetic.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Both a friend and I have chronic pain and we both were placed on Tramadol by our doctors.  It was a nightmare.  My friend had a bad allergic reaction and I felt as though my head was going to explode, while meanwhile the Tramadol did absolutely nothing for the pain.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Many chronic pain sufferers, including myself, are taking kratom which is legal in most states.  For most intents and purposes, kratom is an opioid with a high rate of tolerance increase and withdrawal symptoms. The principal withdrawal symptom is restless leg syndrome (RLS).   There are different kinds of kratom and the best for pain are Red Maeng Da and Red Bali.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Kratom remains controversial because though it definitely provides pain relief and, at high doses even euphoria, it has withdrawal symptoms and, if taken with other medications, can cause brain confusion and disorder.  If you're considering it, speak to your PCP about it and learn all you can.  I can understand why someone who is in severe pain and is denied opiates would consider this substance as an alternative.  But it is not without risks.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/in-depth/kratom/art-20402171

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

An advantage of not taking kratom is that it gives people an excuse to complain about tramadol, another opioid with risks.  I have no sympathy for these people because their pain is largely self inflicted,

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Of course, they are unfair but your viewpoint is shallow in that you don't know who your enemies are and I do.  The cause of the problem is overwhelming sympathy for the self inflicted injuries of drug abusers within our culture.  And, the prevailing sympathizers of those with self inflicted injuries are Liberals.

Drug abusers should not only be allowed to kill themselves, it should be encouraged.  I have the opposite of sympathy for drug abusers because they and their liberal guardians decrease my quality of life.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP