Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Dental implant advice

I have a back tooth that my dentist has informed me should be pulled.  He recommends I get an implant and quoted me a price of $6500.  I'm questioning the wisdom of spending so much for one tooth at my age of 77 years.  The implant is obviously going to outlive me.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Due to malpractice by a low income clinic, I lost two molars and I had already lost two other teeth.  If I didn't replace the two molars, I would only be able to chew soft food for the rest of my life because I would have no sets of upper and lower molars that would come together to chew.  So I bit the bullet and paid for dental implants for the two molars.  It went smoothly and the oral surgeon was wonderful.  I am glad I made this decision.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I had one molar pulled and an implant placed ( upper jaw.).  about ten yrs. ago

Also had lower molar pulled & did not have it replaced on opposite side.

Both worked out OK.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Do you chew with this tooth? Does it keep other teeth from crowding? I would ask the dentist such questions. If a tooth does not take part in chewing food, but only brings discomfort, then why is it needed? Still, if there is no way without an implant, then you can ask your doctor about cheaper alternatives. Also try to see another doctor if possible.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP