Conversationalist

Windows Defender

I get periodic notices to scan  Defender, so I do the quick scan.What about the more complete scans that never seem to actually complete ? I have heard these don't even need to be done. Anyone ?

Thanks  🤙

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I have McAfee Total Protection. For my desktop which is on 24/7 it does a scan automatically once a week when I am not using the computer. My other computers start and run a scan when I have them on ( when it has been over a week since the last scan). 

I use Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool too. You can find it under view update history in Settings>Update and security>Windows Update.

WindowsWMSRTool.jpg

Regular Contributor

My suggestion would be to disable Defender completely and invest in a complete antivirus program.  I have been using ESET for 20 years and have never been infected.  BitDefender and Kaspersky are also good choices.  Stay away from Norton/Symantec and McAfee.

Social Butterfly

I have to open with a caveat - although I haven't removed it from my system, I often think of it as Windows Offender instead of Windows Defender (now known as Microsoft Offender...I mean Defender).  In my experience the best way to run a full scan was to set the Windows Power Options so the system would keep running all night, and start a full scan before going to bed....so I stopped doing it.

If you have not already done so, it might be a good idea to spring for a 3rd party security package.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3219792/best-antivirus-for-windows-pc.html

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/best-windows-10-antivirus-protection-for-2020/

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health