Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What is your favorite piece of technology that you own?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What is your favorite piece of technology that you own?

Hi community members! What's your favorite piece of technology that own? For me, it's definitely my iphone. I use it for all sorts of things every day and I feel lost when I don't have it (I'm working on disconnecting better). What about you? Leave a reply!

Regular Contributor

It's several things working in concert. When I started with computers I had 300 baud dial up internet. I now have cable that speed tests at 120mbps. I stream outgoing video (Twitch, Youtube and Facebook) with characters, voices on a Roland VT3 voice changer, backdrops in front of the greenscreen... I stream my TV on a Roku, or a Firestick, or just a TV app on a computer connected to a TV. I can watch my house from wherever I am on any of 6 security cams. I have a small music studio in my house that I have used to record and release a CD. I just upgraded my phone to a 5G ready phone, and the 5G where I live is so well seeded that in spots in the city I see speeds almost as fast as on my cable at home. I don't need anything but a flip phone for the number of calls I get, but when I drive around I can have a lot of stuff streaming in the car. A friend and I just recorded 4 songs, me at my house and him at his house, by recording parts and sending them back and forth to me where I layered them into my recording software (called a DAW - digital audio workstation), with digital drum machines playing drums and the 2 of us playing and singing. We did NOT do video. (NOBODY wants to see 2 old ugly dudes recording songs!) So it really isn't one thing in any one interest. The bandwidth that the computers ride on, the speed of the computers themselves, the file transfer capacity... it all works together. And right now I am laying in bed, laptop on my lap, dog to my right, watching Guy' Grocery Games as I surf.

Many people choose to hate computers, using the "sour grapes" routine and saying they hate  them when the issue us really that they just don't want to learn how it all works. And what is sad is that it's really not that hard to understand. Those same people also likely wait until morning to read yesterday's news in a paper rather than see updates as stuff happens, and pay bills by sending them in via USPS using 55 cent stamps. That is living in darkness to me, and I won't do it.

Super Contributor

Indoor plumbing! ๐Ÿ˜

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Trusted Contributor

Computer + Internet+YouTube and I haven't watched normal cable or OTA TV in months at a time.

The regular TV with commercials is too depressing. All the "Pill AD's" should be banned! I feel ill just after having to endure all the side effects listed. They have banned tobacco ad's, liquor ad's, vaping ad's why not pill ad's? This is something between you and your doctor not for you to think up your own diagnosis and go to your doctor with "I saw this ad on TV". scheech...

I know there are web sites about banning pill ad's and when I listen to UK radio I don't hear any pill ad's. Is this nationwide or am I just in the wrong place/market? (Florida).

Big Pharma, I know, I know, it's like fighting 'City Hall'.

It's a shame as I like Robin Meade in The Morning to get a variety of my daily news but with all the pill ad's I just click it off.

Oh and BTW about Hard Liquor AD's, I've seen (last year as I watched no commercial TV this past holidays) that they reappear around the holidays. What changed? Some $erious lobbying?

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
Trusted Social Butterfly

I know I've already posted once, but I have to add another:  I still have a Manual Can Opener (primitive, but Technology nonetheless).

If the clods that claim to be our Leaders lead us down the road to ruin at least I'll still be able to access canned food.

Regular Contributor

My 66" LG OLED SMART TV !!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

My desktop!  ๐Ÿ‘  

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Silver Conversationalist

We are all so dependent on technology considering when we were kids computers took up a whole room. Heaven help us if it ever fails. Technology helps me stay in touch with family and friends, especially now with stay at home orders. I spend a lot of time on my Ipad mini, streaming movies, reading Kindle books, Facebook etc. this would be a lot harder without my trusty Ipad.

Regular Contributor

@MarkM338985 wrote:

We are all so dependent on technology considering when we were kids computers took up a whole room. Heaven help us if it ever fails. 

That's why you have at least 2!

Bronze Conversationalist

Considering the fact that I am about as techno-minded as a flea, I am so thankful my "computer guru and savior friend" keeps me in "Apple mode," and is incredibly patient with me when I call

him with a problem. (So far, no smoke has curled out of the back of my computer!)

So, too, my ad agency who can work miracles for my business.

Bits, and bytes, and megabytes OH MY!!!  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Building desktop computers is fun, but, yeah, driving is more fun.

Regular Contributor

Any technology? Probably my car. ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

Iphone

Super Contributor

I'll tell you my least favorite.  Cell phones, selfies, people constantly on their phone allowing me to hear their conversations on the bus.  A couple sitting across from another at a table each on a cell.

At least I haven't been hit by a self-driven car yet.

Trusted Contributor

Yea to go way back one of the last times I ate out at a restaurant was with a good old friend (RIP) for lunch, this was back around 2005 in the heyday of the housing boom and across the restaurant in my view was a guy constantly on his 'flip phone' I told my friend to check it out and it wasn't one of these "don't turn around and look moments" ya know. He did get off the phone to pay the check but as I was outside having my after eating smoke as soon as he exited the restaurant he was back on it.

Now-a-daze when I see a young person staring at their smart phone screen I just think, 'at least they ain't bothering me' Happy Days!

"Don't worry about the oil running out, worry about the food running out"
Professor Al Bartlett PhD (emeritus 1923-2013)
Bronze Conversationalist

I hear you, Martin!  Try being in a public restroom with the person in the next stall on their cell phone.  Nothing like some stranger listening to you pee or worse!  Egads!

Trusted Social Butterfly

lol...Years ago I was showering at the gym, after exercising, and a guy came into the shower talking on his cell phone.  I kept interrupting him with questions like 'Is your shower too hot'...'darn, I dropped the soap would you kick it over here please'...etc..  I think he eventually got more annoyed with me than I was with him.

Super Contributor

My favorite piece?  Probably my hearing aids from VA, and my glasses, my shoes, alert device around my neck and probably half a million other things.

Periodic Contributor

It is hard for me to name just one technology. I'm legally deaf, handicap in a wheelchair. I really on my digital hiring aids to communicate with others, my wheelchair lets me be mobile, and my handicap adapter Minivan allows me to do chores and travel. So, without my hiring aids, wheelchair and minivan I would really feel handicap. I have to name all three. Jack.

Bronze Conversationalist

That's GREAT that you have all those things to make your life easier and safer, Jack!!  ๐Ÿ‘

My desktop computer system that has been my 'office.' I started in 1995-6 when the Internet became available to the public.

Contributor

iPad

Super Contributor

Refrigerator/Freezer

Regular Contributor

Being a video gamer, yes I am 55, I love my new Nintendo Switch that my oldest daughter gave me for Christmas. I will probably be a gamer until the day I die LOL  

Also I just got my first iPhone and I am loving it!!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

An air conditioner because, without it, I would either be dead or wish I was dead.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I agree whole heartily! With out air conditioning in a heat prone area people can die from heat exhaustion. Plus if you feel that uncomfortable you are not likely to be nice. You are miserable and sweaty and totally out of sorts. Give-Me-Air-or give me ...!  Air conditioners at the wrong time of the season are at a premium. Buy one in the off season if you can. Depending on the room size consider the cooling area of the unit. A window unit works fine if installed correctly again depending on the area you wish to have cooled. a lot has to do with where you install the unit and the natural air currents and the path of the sun also the window shades and other covers you may have. If you have good windows that block a lot of the heat then a simple shade will or drape will do. If you have cracks in the house or within you foundation that could also affect the heating and cooling of a room or house. Have a professional look at it and install it at a low cost and be done with it. Most window unit will last two to three years if properly run and maintained. Be Kool and happy icemass..brrrrr!   

Social Butterfly

I would have to say my Home Network and all the devices that are on it. Due to Covid19 and staying home the majority of the time now I am putting virtually everything on my Home Network to use every day. My devices are computers, my smart TV, Alexa, cell phone, tablet, weather station, garage door opener etc. 

Honored Social Butterfly

After 52 years working & living with technology, think my iPhone and BLuetooth enabled Sansui, Onkyo and Marantz stereos are my favorite bits of kit.

Hi Fi from the 60 or 70โ€™s, upgraded to play in the 2020โ€™s. I need my tunes.

If I ever can lose the laptops running DOS to Win10 pro on 286โ€™s to I9โ€™s, maybe Iโ€™ll like/love modern technology again.

For now itโ€™s just another day at work.๐Ÿ˜ท

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Contributor

Hummm... My Fire TV, Kindle Fire, my laptop with a linux O/S...

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP