Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Password Manager?

Do you use a password manager?  Do you have one you recommend?  Share it here and tell us why it's your choice.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Keeping track of passwords on paper is great if you use a unique long password for every purpose, always use a random password, and NEVER use an easily guessed password. With current hacker technology, that means do not use a word from any dictionary ever published, even with substitution of numbers for letters. I prefer a password manager so I don't have to manually enter passwords like %$Nsw7MM#!mdKt&7

Bronze Conversationalist

I'll manage my own passwords , thank you. Written down where only I ( and hubby) can see them.

Nothing is safe online !

Sandee2

I starting using ewallet several years ago, and it was fine but I have been having technical issues with it and I can't reach anyone to help me. It makes me nervous to think that these password managers are created by unknows and then the company or individuals disappear and you are STUCK and unable to get service if there is a problem.  I also wonder if the people or companies creating these managers have access to your passwords?

Periodic Contributor

I use Kasperski.  Recommended by Kim Komando.

BB

Periodic Contributor

@lucky1338, If I had not already been satisfied with Dashlane, Kim Komando's recommendation alone would have been enough to opt for Kaspersky. For those of you who are still on the fence about a password manager, you can't go wrong with Lucky1338's choice. Otherwise, here are Reviews for the Six Top Password Managers. Take your time and choose wisely.

Periodic Contributor

I have used Dashlane for several years. I like it as it supports not only my PC but mobile devices. I use Roboform for access to local applications (eg., Quicken). I was pleased with, and would have stayed with Roboform if it had supported mobile apps sooner. 

Contributor

For many years I've been using Password Safe.  As a locally-installed stand-alone application/database, it lacks some of the sophistication of cloud-based services, but I have the assurance that I have full control of both program and its vault of passwords.  Versions are available for PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, and others.  The database CAN be kept in the cloud to simplify sharing it between devices, but I always have a local copy so that I can access the passwords even when I can't access the Internet.

Contributor

I am currently using the LastPass manager. I have tried others, but I like this one best because:

* Itโ€™s easy to create and retrieve passwords

* It has fingerprint recognition for my mobile devices

* It can create complex passwords that you set the parameters for

* It is reasonably priced( or free at the basic level)

* It can auto fill 

* You can also use it to store notes for other than passwords 

Periodic Contributor

I have used Roboform for 20+ years. I believe it is the best on the market. Most of my passwords involving money ar 13+ characters and I change them every two months. Roboform helps me to keep track of all of these, I have the deluxe version for $9.95 a year since I am online at least 6 hours a day, but the basic free version would be fine for a light user.

LastPass -paid subscription on all device shared by my spouse so we will always know how to access all accounts.  Love it!

Periodic Contributor

Yes, lastpass.

1. It is supported on all of the devices I use

2. It supports access by an approved member in the event I die or otherwise incapacitated.

3. Its free!

4. Selection was based on a combination of talking with others using a password manager and rating/rankings of the various options based on capability, features, etc.

It has made my life much simpler and I have a greater confidence in my online security with every site having its own, unique, random and robust password.

Regular Contributor

I also like the password generator.  It maks life so much easer.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

LastPass for me too!  I work on many computers and also using Linux testing new distros so I can login from any of them and have all my signon and password at hand.

Contributor

I have using true key for over 2 years.  I have re-install it sometimes when the browser gets a major update and when I refresh firefox.  I use firefox as my browser.  It takes less than 30 seconds to re-install. 

Contributor

Iโ€™ve used the free version of Dashlane for several years.  Itโ€™s easy to use and if you enter basic info (name, address), the free version will populate on-line forms with the info.  Although I keep a record of all passwords, having to routinely remember just one password is very helpful.

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I use a password manager.  I tested both lastpass and 1Password back in 2013 and chose to go with 1password.  It has been very useful as I have over 100 logins and I have never used the same login for multiple websites.  

As a blind person using iOS, 1password works well for me and has been accessible using voiceover with minor difficulties occasionally.

I have either my apple product or my 1password choose strong passwords for me.  The minimum password length that I use is 18 characters.  And, to log into it, I use a very long password that is easy for me to remember.  But, how many people would be able ot guess a password that is over 20 characters long.

Additionally, I use 1password to store my passport data and my VISA data.  In the past, for photos of the passport in addition to having the normal data I have had to copy this in using my computer.  I do not know whether that can now be done simply on my phone or not as I have not needed to do that in several years.

It also does a better and more complete job of filling in credit card data than does teh built in capability in iOS.

Additionally, I have over 100 secure notes that provide me additional data such as history for various website information or other more personal data such as my data for security questions for my banks and other websites.

I also have my state ID in it as both a photo and teh number coded in.

It has the capability fo also allowing you to paste in the software keys for your various pieces of computer software.

Although I do not have it, it does allow me to have both a family information vault that is shared among family members and my personal vault, which is what I use all the time.

Regarding what the other person said about the possibility of them being hacked because the data is stored (by my choice so that I can use the information on my computer, my iPad and my iphone) in my Dropbox, that password is also a strong password and is stored in my 1password on my phone and iPad.  So, before they can access it to try to de-encrypt that data, they have to find a way to hack into my Dropbox account.  The data is not stored on 1password servers.  And, I think that the same is true for lastpass if I remember correctly, but I am not positive on how it is set up any more.

You do not need to have access to the internet to be able to use 1 password.  But, it does use the internet to synchronize the encrypted data from your phone, iPad, and computer.

One additional thing is that I should mention is that as a blind person, in addition to allowing me ot have over 100 passwords and the other things mentioned above is that as a blind person it makes it so much more accurate trying to get the login data put in for websites than when I try to type them in.  So, for me using 1password has been extremely beneficial.  And, at times while traveling has been very beneficial by having both my passport number and a photo of my passport accessible whether I am connected to the internet or not.

I hope this helps anybody who is wondering about the use of password managers.

Dexter

I am looking for a password manager but am confused with so many providers and options.
Couldn't AARP pick a good one and offer its members a reduced-rate package?
Super Contributor

@s135195k, if you're still looking -- and to all who yet are, I would suggest that you take the time to read this article that is published by AARP in their online newsletter (Sept. 2018). Essentially, it's what you need to know about password managers. And, it might also shed a little light on both the importance of having one, as well as perhaps the ability to select one that you think may work for you and may address your concerns.

Password Managers: What You Need to Know

Contributor

Good idea. I use the free version of Dashlane, but it sometimes seems to be erratic.

Super Contributor

@s135195k, I am reasonably sure that AARP wouldn't want to bear such a responsibility. After all, if they recommend it, they would also set themselves up to be blamed if that person's computer was hacked. It's best to simply take the free recommendations that have come in this forum. As I said, Dashlane is free; I've used it for years. Others have recommended a free version of LastPass. At any rate, there may be none that is 100% foolproof, but if it's worked for me fo r10 years, that "licenses" me to recommend it, but like me -- and everyone else, we're all taking a chance. I don't have my bank account password in Dashlane; I keep that somewhere else in a physical location, not somewhere in cyberspace. We're still expected to use wisdom. Check them out. Make an informed decision:

https://www.dashlane.com/

https://keepass.com/

https://www.lastpass.com/

https://www.roboform.com/

https://www.truekey.com/

Regular Contributor

I have use lastpass for free for several years.  Most of the security guys say it is the best.  They also have a paid verson (I don't know how much it cost) with more options but the free verson works fine for me.

I have used Password Safe for years and found it capable of generating 12 letters numbers and characters with no problem. I have one long password to enter the program. I am not sure how it ranks with other programs.

Yes - Dashlane

I pay for it every 3 years - it's the only one I have ever used - to switch to something else would be a HUGE undertaking I think? About 200 passwords ...

Conversationalist

Isn't Dashlane costing $40 to $60 a year? That is a lot when there are no cost and vey low cost alternatives. Switching may not be as bad as it sounded. Other software may have import option to take Dashlane data and make the conversion. You may use the free trial and see if the conversion works and how you like the other software. I just look at the one I use, SafeInCloud, it has the option to import Dashlane data.

Periodic Contributor

Years ago, I started using Dashlane, which has been rated on the Web as the world's #1 password manager. I like it for several reasons: (1) they offer a free version (which have proven to be sufficient for my use; (2) I don't have to remember my password; Dashlane logs in for me once it recognizes the website I'm logging onto; (3) if I change my password, Dashlane prompts me to ask if I want it to record the new password; (4) If for any reason I need to know -- or to see --  my password, I can easily navigate to it from the computer where Dashlane has been installed; and (5) if keylogging software has been nefariously installed on a computer, you're safe because you never have to type your password. It has safely been stored in Dashlane and, again, Dashlane will log you in.

Periodic Contributor

Roboform Everywhere.

Depending on how many passwords you need to manage and whether you use multiple devices, the free version may suit your needs. We have been using Roboform for around 10 years now. 

Auto synchronization between devices, emergency access for a trusted friend after a delay period you set. Safe notes: text notes encrypted and stored like passwords. Password generator to encourage proper password usage (different password for every site)

Regular Contributor

I use Dashlane and I love it! It's so much easier and safer having all of my passwords on this app instead of writing them in a notebook like I used to do. They are all alphabetized and the app does an excellent job of controlling my information, suggesting safe passwords, letting me categorize the web sites by type, reminding me how often I've used the same password, allows me to store my personal information, keeps track of my ID, secure notes, and receipts, and best of all it automatically inserts my password when I reach a site that requires log in - after I've authenticated my identity with Dashlane. I have the Premium plan which costs just $12.95/year; I prefer the Premium plan because it allows me to store and access my information on my smart phone as well as my laptop and syncs all my data on the two platforms. It also allows me to import and export passwords and provides a VPN as well. The standard Dashlane app is free. 

Periodic Contributor

I use Flying Bit Password Keeper. It saves everything locally to my machine and the password file can be copied between machines to share them. It's an older program, but it works well and does not rely on a hardware key as some of the others do.

Periodic Contributor

Makes no sense (to me) to have an app know or genrate all your passwords.  Every website is hackable.  What makes a passowrd manager website immune?

Then there is the "inside man (person)" possibility.  All companies can have greedy or vengeful employees thatsell or give out the sensitive information.  Even the CIA and FBI has had employees who have done this with a ling prison sentence hanging over them.

98% of my passwords are the same for frivolous websites.  Who cares if they hack that password?  Just vary/change the password for the very few websites that are important.   

Good advice.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP