Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

Marketing Emails

I did a couple searches through the messages boards and didn't find anything so I thought I'd ask if anybody else has noticed this.

Those of us who use security (anti-virus) software know that these days it usually comes in a package containing other 'tools'.  Usually one of those tool kits has to do with Performance and Cleanup.  Out of curiosity I have tried out the cleanup tools of various vendor's kits.  I think I have noticed something that most of the vendors have in common:

If I use a cleanup tool while the computer is connected to the internet, I wlll, in a day or two, receive an email offering me an 'inexpensive upgrade' to their 'enhanced toolkit'.  If I disconnect from the internet before running their tool(s) I receive no such emails.  The solution seems obvious: Buy, Disconnect before using, or Don't use.  So I'm not looking for a solution, but simply asking if anybody else has noticed a similar correlation?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@intersan's post, while missing the point, kinda makes the point.  Oddly enough even though the original post explicitly concludes with, "So I'm not looking for a solution, but simply asking if anybody else has noticed a similar correlation?", both replies have an "Accept Solution" button attached.

The question was:  Has anybody else noticed that they receive a marketing email after using the 'Tools' that usually accompany anti-virus software?  And in particular have they noticed that they do not receive an email if they use the 'Tools' while not connected to the internet?

The correlation to @intersan's post is that the marketing efforts of the anti-virus companies may, paradoxically, be creating the environment that @intersan's spammers are trying to exploit.

@cat0w 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

What computer, make and model plus operating system do you use? If Windows, do you have Windows Security and do you have it set up for use? I have and use McAfee instead of Windows Security. 

Have you ever run Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool? This tool comes with Windows updates. See example image below. Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

WindowsMSRT2022.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I keep getting emails saying that my Norton anti-virus is expiring. I get a few of these each day, even though I don't have this on my computer. I just delete it because it's a scam.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP