Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Help for Seniors Who Aren’t Tech-Savvy

Honored Social Butterfly

Help for Seniors Who Aren’t Tech-Savvy

KHN 06/28/2021 - Calming Computer Jitters: Help for Seniors Who Aren’t Tech-Savvy

from the link ~

A recent survey from AARP, conducted in September and October, . . . . found that older adults boosted technology purchases during the pandemic but more than half (54%) said they needed a better grasp of the devices they’d acquired. Nearly 4 in 10 people (37%) admitted they weren’t confident about using these technologies.

However, I can't tell you the number of older adults who have asked for my help in trying to conduct a telemedicine session with their doctor.  Or who want to zoom with their grandkids.  Technology only works to everybody's advantage if the sender and the receiver understands how it works.

So this [ non-profit ] company that is mentioned in the KHN article might give out some help.  It says it is FREE.  I have bookmarked it for further review but thought I would just give the link to those here who might also want to check it out.  

Might also be something that AARP.org will want to also check out.  

Generations On Line 

The sites MENU is on the left side of the page for further information on what they do and how.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Social Butterfly

This is a good topic. Some suggestions I'll make are for the person to look for help on what device and applications they plan to use.

I have Windows 11 Pro on my newest laptop, my new desktop, and Windows 10 Pro on my older laptop.

These suggestions come from Windows 11. Looking at the list of Apps check out, Get Help, Get Started, Tips and Windows Ease of Access.

A person can type in the search box what they want to learn more about. See example image below. Click on, tap, or activate image  AARPActivateEnlarge.jpg  to enlarge it.

Windows11SearchHelp.jpg

Look at Microsoft Support too.

Microsoft Support

Periodic Contributor

Thank you Cat0w for responding.  I guess I wasn't clear enough in my statements.  I know there is much on line, but even finding the "answer" rarely answers my questions!  What I'm looking for is a forum (?) where AARP members can communicate about ideas regarding how to make our lives easier in the ever-growing complexity of the tech world.  I haven't checked if there is a Facebook group (I'm not fond of Facebook).  At any rate, thanks for responding.  Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@susysmith 

I was responding to the topic of this discussion and providing some suggestions. If you own Apple products, have you checked their website for information and help? If you live close enough to an Apple store, they have customer help available in the store. I live close to Austin, Texas and they have a nice store in the Barton Creek Mall. 

Apple

I use Dell computers.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi!  I've never done this before, but this seems like a place to begin.  It's about my concern for seniors as technology becomes more and more complex.  I'm 76 and have Apple devices.  I just downloaded 15.2 and am befuddled.  Apple assumes all users are YOUNG and tech-savvy.  How can AARP help communicate to the major providers seniors' need for simplicity?  

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@GailL1 great post! I did check out the site and it is recommended by Kaiser Health (that I totally trust).

The only thing I found that would detract is they only have apps for Google and Apple devices. Not sure, and could not find on the site, whether there were shared Windows space to use, and if so, what browser compatibility there is.

Thanks again! Stay safe!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

Just saw your year old post, but wanted to suggest that if you REALLY want to run an android app on your windows computer, install an android emulator like Bluestacks.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Actually, Windows also have apps from its app store. Windows 11 can run Android apps natively. I understand it is pretty good but I have not try that yet. Bluestacks is okay but it is slow and I experience incompatibilities on some of the Android apps I tried.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP