Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Connecting using Technology, How do you do it?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Connecting using Technology, How do you do it?

Do you use social media to connect with your family and friend?  What works for you?  Have you tried Skype, Google Hangouts or, if you have an iPhone or iPad, FaceTime?

These technologies make it easier to connect with family that is spead out.  How do you connect?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Periodic Contributor

@AARPTeri Just got a Grandpad for my mother, who can't even text on a flip-phone. Is there a community here for caregivers trying to use this endorsed product or another user group somewhere? Who is the AARP contact for this benefit?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

I usually text or call. I prefer talking to texting, though. I also use Duo to keep up with my daughter and new granddaughter. I recently bought a GrandPad through Consumer Cellular for my mom who's in a nursing home. She can't have any visitors now and my brother can't visit or go with her to dialysis. We can call her, but she can't call out. Now we can video chat and send pictures and she's connected to the internet so she can play games or listen to music or just search to see what's out there. I made sure I added all the grands and great grands she has so they can keep in touch with her. So everyone can stay connected!

Please tell me about the grandpad.  Would it be good for my 87 year old husband who has so much trouble using my phone or iPad?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Community Connections is a new website that offers steps to find help – or give it – during the coronavirus pandemic. The website enables you to join or organize your own online mutual aid group to stay connected locally during this time.

Have thoughts about this new tool? We value your feedback! Drop us a line and let us know your thoughts!

Learn more and get involved today.

0 Kudos

I'm wondering if my equipment will support the current technology available to connect with others.  My phone does not have the internet.  My computer is about 10 years old, and doesn't have a microphone or camera that I am aware of.  Is the visual interaction available not available with my current equipment?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

You did not explain what is your goal as what current technology you want to do. Just phone calls, video calls, text messaging, group chat, group video conferencing? As for your equipment, what exactly do you have in details. Your phone does not have the internet means you have a land line phone, a cell phone can just call and text, a smart phone but you did not subscribe to mobile service? You 10 year old computer, is it running windows 7, do you have internet, there is no camera, no mic, is there speaker or ear phone jack, is there a usb port? Last but not least, how much $ you want to spend? Without the above information, it is difficult for one to give you a realistic suggestion.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Need technology more than ever in this time of social distancing. Due to high risk of COPID 19, I have been unable to visit with family. Both of my sons have come up with ways for me to stay in touch. Now I am video calling with them. One has connected me to google dou. The other uses facebook messages video chat. I'm not that tech savy, but my smart kids have walked me through the connection process for those video calls. Still learning.

My only sibling does not have internet, but we connect through texts or phonecalls.

I do online shopping, but haven't used the grocery store drive through or delivery services yet. That will probably be my next tech adveture.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't have social media, however I do have a large community of friends so we stay in touch via group text and email. Sometimes a good old fashioned phone call does the trick. I do have internet at a discounted rate (Access by At&t) installed in my home so I am able to share photos and large files and not use up all the data on my phone. 

0 Kudos

I am much more comfortable with a keypad (like my laptop).  I use FB on my  phone to stay connected with friends and family. I have 30+ cousins so I have separate groups of paternal and maternal cousins. Keeps me connected.  Also have the same groups on email for more important topics.   Not everyone checks FB each day.

I do use my laptop to check my financial accounts several times a week.  I have a firewall and security software on my laptop.  I do not use my phone for banking or financials since phones are not as secure.  And all my financial accounts are setup with alerts so I know when something happens.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In my mid-80s now; have used a computer for years but decided I needed a smart phone.  Went to a local store to buy phone but asked about assistance with it "we're too busy" was the reply so I marched out and went to a city close to where I live.  Received immediate assistance, bought the phone but now what?   How do I get started with an I-phone without driving to a store or setting up time to attend a class.  I purchased  the dummies book but I still need someone to sit by me and answer questions.  Now what?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm in the same position.. I know just enough to have had a negative experience with the configuration on my Galaxy A20, starting with the graphics. I've been playing with computers for 25 years or more, "Trial and Error" and hate to read manuals. briefly, I have a Android and have mixed Samsung configurations with Office 365 and Chrome. Firfox and Opera are lurking but I have resisted loading them too.... so far. My guess is that I need to select ONE of the above but...... I need advice. Thanx for listening (Looking?)  StaySafe!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I dislike reading manuals. Not having a personal tutor standing by 24/7, Youtube is probably the best way to find out how to get things done. Not just technology, but all kind of DIY projects too. Just use Google search or the search function within Youtube. Define what you want to do and with the hardware you have. Find the apps or software that can perform the task and learn it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@tutulaurie 

Questions just ask, been using iPhones since 4S with 32 Gb (Woohoo) for business and texting. 2011 Me thinks.

@fffred 

Is spot on for using YouTube videos on using, care and apps to use. There also are webpages devoted to how to use your iPhone , iPad or Android device.

And your online or downloadable iPhone model manual.

Browsers many used think I have 6 on my iPhone 7 with 128Gb. Email The same number in apps , setup was a pita but, doable after learning to text with my thumbs.

Been using computers and been in biz since '68 and the ARPANet, if you look through the AARP technology pages you'll find links to iPhone you tube tutorials for different iOS versions, which you might like to subscribe to. Such as 9to5Mac😎. The following link from AARP tech had me making changes, after viewing for 45 minutes on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDiQsI18Zk4&feature=youtu.be

The same with daily, weekly newsletters on how to get the most out of using your 📱.

Found the address of another go to newsletter on most things iOS or the operating system for iPhones and iPads.

Cult of Mac.com

Check out their newsletter link of removing the frustration of editing in iOS and a simple fix.

Otherwise just ask, or pm (personal mail) a friend on AARP, etc.

It's easy with some cussing involved , as we all have been there. Half of my battle with phones were getting used to entering that first user name and password with my thumbs, and setting up my WiFi connection when in the house or up at camp to satellite connection.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Replying from my Android phone, I prefer to use my computer. Please excuse any typing errors.

Think of your smart phone as a mini-computer. With built-in "apps' to get productive work (or games) done.

Try going to YouTube on your computer and search it for iPhone tutorials. Go through some. Then search Google for same thing. Maybe AARP has video tutorials.

To get you used to the iPhone try using the browser on it, it's like one ona computer. Of course, you have to have wifi or cell data to use the browser.

Many of the "apps" are for businesses, etc, to replace their website. The app is faster and easier (less demand) for the smart phone hardware.

Then go to the AARP forums for any more help.

@tutulaurie wrote:

In my mid-80s now; have used a computer for years but decided I needed a smart phone.  Went to a local store to buy phone but asked about assistance with it "we're too busy" was the reply so I marched out and went to a city close to where I live.  Received immediate assistance, bought the phone but now what?   How do I get started with an I-phone without driving to a store or setting up time to attend a class.  I purchased  the dummies book but I still need someone to sit by me and answer questions.  Now what?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have Hunter assist me in sending letters with my phone. And Taylor posts pictures of me through instant grahm. We usually see each other through facebook, and when they are arounf, they set up a video camera so they can appear through the TV set.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Ages 79 and 86, most definitely not a Techies. No cell phone, no hand-held device, computer only, no Skype.  Communicate using  landline phone, emails, letters, or in person. Old-fashioned, but works for us!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

Great topic, @AARPTeri !

Google Hangouts has been our family choice for almost a decade, I think (or however long it's been available).

Text is next preferred option as that seems to be more condusive to busy lifestyles they have vs my retirement lifestyle 😉

We used one international phone/text service for a couple of years when SIL was deployed, and I needed to contact non-US colleagues, but then they started charging, then he came home, I retired, so no need (but it was great when we were users, in fact I was able to share "snow falling in Las Vegas" with one of my Asian-based colleagues).

I was an early-adopter of Google and remain so, trusting their tech and security, so still a Fi customer and product user and proponent. We, to date, have not experienced any issues, tech- or security-wise, so we'll stay loyal. In fact, I have to think we stay because they're loyal to us, as well.

Again, thanks for a great topic.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

Social like FB or Liker only for family or at least 20 year friends.

Linkedin about the same.

Text or messenger for friends, foe or customers. And FaceTime for same, although sometimes camera 🎥 s off - 24/6/365 on-call not good.

Skype not since the 2016,2017 & 2018 hacks🤣, removed app from phone.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Conversationalist

Whatsapp is the best for me. Can be setup for iPhone, Android cell phone. With a little manuvering, tablet and PC. You can chat (text) with individuals or groups. Voice calls and video calls between members. Very easy to send photos and videos and many types of attachments. All for free anywhere in the world except it is blocked in China.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

My wife likes to use Hangouts when she's at work. She works in a higher security building where she is not supposed to carry her cell phone, but she does have a computer from which she can contact my cell phone through Hangouts or she can even call me on VoIP through her computer if she needs to discuss something with me immediately.

My daughter-in-law seems to prefer either text messaging or Marco Polo if she wants to communicate through a video and include our 2-year-old grandson. My son will usually contact me by text message.

My two brothers still prefer calling directly, but the one just older will use text messaging with me if he just has a simple question and doesn't want to discuss whatever subjects we might dream up in a phone call. I use these methods with them in the same way.

My two sisters keep in touch with me mostly through Facebook; although, we do talk on the phone sometimes, especially for more important matters.

For my contact with friends and family outside my immediate family, I mostly use Facebook.

Merry Christmas to my friends on E Street NW and to all my fellow AARP members. We might have to spit out a moth or two along the way, but may this season start a new and happy time for all.

Enjoy!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP