Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Computer advice

We need a new PC tower.  Use it for email, web research for eBay stuff to sell, watching sports, and some very basic games like solatire and tile matching.  Prefer to avoid buying unnecessary bells and whistles.  NOT tech savvy.  Please recommend.  Thank you

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Best Budget Desktop Computers for 2020 | PCMag.com
https://www.pcmag.com โ€บ Reviews โ€บ Desktops

Best Computer Buying Guide - Consumer Reports
https://www.consumerreports.org โ€บ ... โ€บ Computers & Internet โ€บ Computers

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

If you want to watch sports on it then make sure you have enought RAM, a powerful enough processor and a good internet connection to watch them.

I now have a Dell XPS Desktop, 2 yrs old and a new Dell 15 inch XPS Laptop with 4K display. I do just about everything possible with mine though.

Honored Social Butterfly

Second Catow on Ram and connection. My laptop is I5 and I9 with 6 Gb and 32 Gb respectively, both accept HDMI inputs or VGA.

One's a Lenovo the other is custom built will never mention that brand on AARP, only sell in quantities of 10-100. Kept that oath for 12 years here (or longer if memory is correct).

One has BlueTooth the other not. Both will allow input from most LED/LCD TV's, I tend to casting from Laptop to 48-70" TV's, aging eyes. Reason to mention BT and/ HDMI port.

Smart or Dumb TV's accept both, via DVD / DVR or WiFi signal.

I5 was originally a Win7 upgrade to 10 .

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Put it this way If buying new would check out a brick and mortar like Frys or Tigerdirect.

If refurb would buy from manufacturer guaranteed repairs for one year, relatively late models on clearance or deals page.

I still like IBM and Lenovo laptops since my first Butterfly keyboard , still works.

Give a look at this link not recommending any read the description and warranty information.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?IPromoID=LEN251549

End of year sales still exist in both Windows 10 or Linux variants, with even Desktops and all-in-ones.

My personal opinion on mini-desktop or all-in-ones, some can be a royal PITA to repair of upgrade when you need to.

Gripe of moment is my microscope and re-work station just took a hit.๐Ÿคฌ

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Take a look at the "all-in-one" models offer by many manufacturers. It consists of a big screen, keyboard and mouse. No tower. The cpu is with the monitor. I personally would not buy the one recommended by AARP which is running with some sort of Linux operating system.

0 Kudos
Contributor

How would you rate this one?  

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

What you want to do is not very demanding on computing power. I think it should do the job. There is a 256 Gb SSD, it should boot up quick. If you need more storage in the future, you can alway add an additional hard drive. You may want to look for an i5 processor in case you need more computing power in the future.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP