Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Beware of August 2019 Windows 10 Update

Message 1 of 21

@janetw128 

Already discussed in - 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Computer-Questions-Tips/Win7-EOS-1-20-2020/m-p/2207201#M4047

If nervous about upgrade back up your present documents, pictures, drivers to a memory stick .

Did the upgrade a while back, 3-5 days after it came out. Have done a few for customers months ago.

Only issues were some drivers for devices were unhappy. And a few updates for AMD and Intel CPU's. Some came from computer manufacturer others from CPU maker.

Some software by pc maker may also stop working, my fingerprint reader for laptop Lenovo I5, needed to be upgraded with newer device, talk about too many screws to access one device.

Backup your older data and go for it. Unless it becomes a brick, you always can just pickup a refurbished computer. **EDIT-99% no problems on the upgrade to Windows 10 .**

And prepare for many starts and stops during the installation where it only appears like things are no longer working.

IT IS a long update but, it's still worth it.🤣 

And have a second memory stick of at least 8 Gb to create a Win10 repair/installation disk.

Would like to give you an easy answer but, in most cases no issues. Sometimes you just end up cussing. 6 Gb of Ram no problem, just 2-3 hours of multiple reboots and finally it worked magically.

If capable and you haven't cleaned your PC/laptop in 5 years give it a clean before. And don't do it during a blizzard when power may go.

Catow has a video on cleaning on his YouTube channel mentioned in his post. Link above post. 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

I have no choice but to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since support, and updates are ending. I found this on youtube, and considering 2 way to upgrade. I have also considered buying a refurbished windows 10 tower from walmart. I bought a refurbished windows 7 five years ago, and very happy with the purchase, or I can take it to some one who will charge me to upgrade from 7 to 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2cpyAa7yj8 or https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key...
Any input will be helpful. I'm trying to read all the info I can get about upgrading myself.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@aruzinsky 

Always been a right clicker from way back.

And shortcut keys😎. Lost on laptop, will post when I haven't been up for days.

As far as passwords strongly believe in them, even if you're the only one that uses the computer.

Same as a second one just to ensure access does happen if computer takes a dump, it happens.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@cat0w wrote:

@aruzinsky   In Windows 10 if you right click Start and place you mouse arrow over Shutdown or Sign Out then you can choose from the four selections, only two clicks.

AARPWindows10Shutdown.jpg

For the second part, after sleep the start screen is automatically up, have you checked Settings.

Below is how I have mine set up. Under Require sign in, from the drop down menu you can choose, Never.

AARPWindows10Wake.jpg

Thank you for the first part.  The second part doesn't apply to me because I don't use a password.

SignInOptions.png

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

@aruzinsky   In Windows 10 if you right click Start and place you mouse arrow over Shutdown or Sign Out then you can choose from the four selections, only two clicks.

AARPWindows10Shutdown.jpg

For the second part, after sleep the start screen is automatically up, have you checked Settings.

Below is how I have mine set up. Under Require sign in, from the drop down menu you can choose, Never.

AARPWindows10Wake.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@Frozenoem wrote:

Only other note I can give is - I loved 7, hated 8 & 8.1. Windows 10 should have been what followed 7 as far as ease of use👍.

In Windows 10, it takes 3 mouse clicks to shut down/restart/sleep your computer, whereas, in Windows 7, it takes 2 clicks.  And, unlike in Windows 7, in Windows 10, after sleep, the start screen is automatically up, which requires an extra click to get rid of it.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

@ss11943859 

You might like to read this article published today on ZDNet, re: Win8.1 and upgrade to 10.

Your results may vary, I just read on-line a minute ago.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-free-windows-10-upgrade-offer-still-works-heres-why-and-how-to-ge...

It tells of success and failures doing the free upgrade path, past the cutoff date for free upgrades.

I honestly have only done two upgrades during the free period, so can't say whether it works or not🤣, during the expired offer (in theory).

Only other note I can give is - I loved 7, hated 8 & 8.1. Windows 10 should have been what followed 7 as far as ease of use👍.

8 and 8.1 , I'll always think of as a vista or ME in terms of being pita's to run.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@FredSmif 

Wise man on ME and Vista, they were crap OS’es. Sold a grand total of 2 ME’s and Vista’s .

the Vista’s had a choice of alternative installation XP disks in the box, if someone realized that there wish was bad.

I’ve always thought that 7 was great and 8 & 8.1 never were that great. Still need to carry cheat sheets to use them. When M$ offered an upgrade path from 7 to 10 , Think it took a total of week to try it on my personal Lenovo and Thinkpads with no issues. My builds were the same .

Windows 10 is the best OS to come out of MS in awhile. Yeah, the updates/upgrades are sometimes with issues but, no blue or black screens lately.

Sure there may be driver issues but, every OS has them. High CPU use in latest patch was fixed with next.

In rush to fix one problem, they may create an old one. But the next patch will fix what they broke.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@ss11943859 

I think your at end of life, already. Last update will be 2023 perhaps.

https://betanews.com/2018/01/10/windows-8-1-enters-extended-support/

Best you upgrade, when ever. You will get major updates for security only (subject to change).

Windows 10 home or pro will be in your future🤣. If your computer will handle an upgrade path.

The “if” part means I do new builds only, and I have no desire to re-read the terms of M$ products during my lifetime - again.

You can google search the legality of a new Windows 10 dvd/ memory stick and setup on old hardware.

I think the upgrades for free, ended in 2018. But, M$ may allow you to buy Win10 home and pro still from them, for your 8.1 WINDOWS.

Not screaming typing on iphone😇.

Google might also point you to Win10 media you can buy from resellers for your brand of computer, your results may vary.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

Now in my own experience, I got suckered into having Windows ME (Millenium Edition) on a Dell laptop a long time ago. That was awful.

Then I got a really nice Sony Vaio laptop that I used for 10 years, really liked it. Unfortunately, "fool me once, ...etc", that laptop came with Windows Vista, another fail.

Windows 10 is great compared to those two.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors