Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Things to do with elderly

Spoiler
Spoiler
I’d love some suggestions about things to do when I visit my mother-in-law who is 93 years old and getting a little dementia
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi everyone,

This is quite an old article and although it's geared toward dementia patients, I think it's cross-cutting for older adults as well. 

Let me know if you think this is helpful.

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
AARP Expert

Here are a few more ideas! My Dad had Alzheimers, so I geared these activities that way, but most are good activities for those who don't have dementia also! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

0 Kudos
Contributor

Here are a few fun things I've done with my grandfather:

Listen to music from their era( it triggers memories, which lead to a great conversation)

if possible, visit the local thrift store and look around

Short walks

arrange flowers in a vase, pull out a jewerly box and sort the items

make cookies together

All of these I've done before it they enjoyed the activities

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Take a photo album ( hard copy is best ) and reminisce - if this works well, you can do more variations to it - comparing old pics to new pics of the same person.

An older lady (90's) I know use to love to gamble - now we take her tons of scratch-offs.  She has lots of fun with them - just have to remember to have her do her thing on a tray lest there is scratch off dust floating around.  She does win some too which she likes.

As with anybody else, they have likes and dislikes and different abilities - get creative based on what you know about them.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

My 82 year old Dad moved into a 55+ community, but we can’t get him to participate in any of the activities. My husband and I take him out to dinner and have him over for family gatherings, but he complains that he is bored at home. How do we get him to participate with his neighbors?  I have even offered to go with him. 

0 Kudos

My Mom is 91 and moved in with my husband and I 2 years ago. I resigned from my full time job at that time.  Like you, we take her out to dinner and she participates in all family gathers, but she doesn't want to do anything else. I've tried to get her to go,with me, to pool exercises, chair yoga, stretching exercises and Cares, per her doctor's suggestion, no go.  I've lost all my friends and my husband and I no longer have a social life.  I can't leave her for more than 2 hours alone.  Mom only wants me to stay with her, she's not really happy when I go out and leave her with my husband or daughters.  Every caregiver I had come to meet her she doesn't like.  I have a very sweet neighbor who is a certified care giver and has watched her twice, but Mom doesn't like her, but does not have a reason.  

I feel your frustrations.  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I do large piece puzzles with my Dad and we also play bunko (roll the dice).

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP