Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are People with Dementia a Risk to Public Safety

Contributor

Are People with Dementia a Risk to Public Safety

Last week, came the horrific news that a man had been shot and killed during an argument over a parking space.  The victim leaves behind a widow and 3 young children, a household of loved ones with significant special needs.  I didn’t think there could be anything that would make this story worse.

But then came the news that the next day, the 74 year old killer was in court with his lawyer pleading some form of incompetence based on being “very sick with dementia.”

If the shooter is indeed, one of the thousands upon thousands of Israelis living with dementia today, there are obvious questions that MUST be addressed and addressed now. Let’s start with:

Why does a person “very sick with dementia” have a valid gun license and access to a gun?

Why does a person “very sick with dementia” have a valid driver’s license and access to a car?

We have laws to govern these matters. So what happened or didn’t happen that leaves us with a 74 year old (and he could have been 35 or 45 or 55 as we are becoming more and more aware of Young Onset Dementia affecting people in Israel as young as 30) driving, carrying a weapon and neurologically impaired enough to shoot and kill a man over a parking spot.

Where were the professionals, doctors, social workers, etc who had contact with him over the period of time since his incompetence became obvious – and with dementia there are noticeable changes in behavior, language and cognitive abilities that develop over time?   Where were those professionals when it was time to help this man, and his family,  face the harsh reality that his medical situation required significant changes to his lifestyle and if he was unable or unwilling to relinquish the tools he would later use to kill, why didn’t one or more of these professionals step in?  It is rare that someone suffering from dementia willingly gives up the tools, especially the driver’s license, that signify independence, health and wholeness in our society.

IF the lawyer has documents to prove his client’s incompetence due to dementia, it is critical for the sake of public safety that the signatories to those documents be brought forward and questioned in court about what steps they took that would have mitigated this horror. Moreover, if they did not advise the relevant authorities (Dept of Defense and Transportation Authority) about their patient’s condition, we need to know why not…..and when the penalties for putting the public at risk will be enforced.

To family members dealing with dementia, I ask as one of you, please get the help you need to keep your loved one, yourselves and the rest of the community safe.  Taking away a person’s freedom, by forcing him or her to relinquish a driver’s license (or gun license), is incredibly difficult and painful. I know. I chose to take my husband's license and car keys from him, at age 52, when his cognitive decline made me question his competence behind the wheel, even though his doctor at the time preferred not to confront him. I knew that I was causing my husband unbearable pain. The hurt and anger that ensued, the rage directed at me day and night, lasted for months.  This SHOULD be in the hands of doctors who can be the "bad guys" and leave family members to the other challenges of daily care. Much as the professionals SHOULD do what is right, ethically and legally, if they don’t take responsibility, then please do what has to be done.  Taking away your parent’s or spouse’s freedom and independence is a terrible burden, but it can’t compare to the pain of facing a bereaved family that should be enjoying an everyday activity like a trip to the local mall.

Are people with dementia a threat to public safety?  Absolutely, when those involved in their care shirk important responsibilities.

AARP Expert

Hi Susan,
What a terrible thing that happened to that man and his family. What i think about is, why are guns so easy to get, period. But I appreciate your point of view: where were all the people who knew this man, interacted with him, took care of his medical care, etc.

We all need to take care of each other.
Jane
Contributor

Couldn't agree more. Grandmom was VERY mad when she got her license taken...but she could have killed herself or others. If you choose to be a danger to yourself it's one thing --- but hurting others is not acceptable. It's like driving under the influence -- you risk harm to yourself and others. And if the person is not responsible enough or even able to tell that they can cause harm - then the doctors need to make sure they do no harm. If they refuse to listen to doctors then law enforcement has to pick up enforcement. It's sad but just a true fact of life and aging. I myself would hate to lose my driving license, but if I could be a danger to others, then I should, end of story,
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP