Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

One of my fondest memories was on a trip to the beach with my grandmother before she passed. She was 76. At the ends I helped take care of her alot. She was not that friendly, deffinetly from a different time, but i enjoyed the time i spent with her. I don't go to the beach anymore, but when i think of beaches or the ocean, it think of her. 

Having everything all set up in advance really helps!

very sweet!

My name is Megan.  A quick break we enjoy is spending time outdoors, listening to the birds, admiring the flowers and plants, enjoying nature.

Retired Community Manager

Travel is really a whole other ballgame when you are a caregiver responsible for someone else. It becomes not about enjoying yourselves, but also about making sure that things are in place to accommodate your needs. Bathrooms are important - stop often and carry an Occupied sign.

Contributor

i love taking my mom to dinner and to stay in a hotel and spa with a nice massage

Occupied sign? Where are you traveling that doesn't have door locks?

I highly enjoy giving care! That is all folks.

AARP Expert

@VickiM68 I always looked for the "family bathrooms" so I could go in with my Mom or Dad - but sometimes I just went in the men's room and hollered - "woman in here - helping my Dad!" You can imagine I had some interesting experiences!!! 

Take care,

Amy

Kudos
Views

Traveling is a way of expressing yourself and appreciate life more and learn from life and see the beauty of earth which motivates you to take care of mother nature so that the younger generation can have what we have and can enjoy nature.

Awesome story

Contributor

What great ideas!

Contributor

My mom will be 87 next month and she had a heart attack in April 2017.  She really doesn't like to travel very far from home now; so knowing a good deal of healing has to do with state of mind, I look for local spots I can share with her that bring a sense of joy and peace.  We are fortunate to live in the foothills of the Smokies so these types are spots are numerous.  I take her for short trips to the Cherokee National Park where we can sit by the creek with a waterfall and enjoy the wildlife and wild flowers. I also keep a lookout for beautiful gardens we can drive by.  On days that it rains, is too hot, or she just doesn't feel like getting out, we take time to climb the family tree to check out some of the branches and, hand-in-hand, together we take a stroll down memory lane.

bookign the right hotel seems to be key. i make sure we have ample parking and a roll in shower.

i go to toledo bend to unwind. there is nothing like fishing to take your mind off things. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Of course my entry doesn't count, but wanted to share one: 

We took mom to the beach this year but had to change accommodations to be sure there was a ramp and we rented a beach wheelchair to help get her to the beach.  I had to explain to my kids, that I know its hard because grandma is not her old self but we should spend time with her while we can.  I have such fond memories of this vacation even if there were some challenges!

AARPTeri
Contributor

There have been many challenges.  My husband had a stroke and we continued to vacation the best we could based on his limitations due to his stroke.  We planned ahead to ensure we had an assessible hotel room.  However, one still has to plan by taking other familiar items you utilize at home (i.e., a raised commode seat, mobile chair, brace for leg, etc.).   So, we are on our way to Jacksonville, FL for a book signing and reunion.  After we passed Tallahassee, FL I noticed something blew off the back of the car.  I pulled over and found that the car tag had gone airborne.  We knew there would be problems checking-in and parking at various places since we had a handicapped tag.  We contacted the State Trooper's Office and he gave us a case number, etc. to show if we needed it.  We continued our vacation and later laughed about the incident.  We never received a call that the tag was located.  So, remember to check the screws in your tag if you are planning to take a vacation before getting on the road!

I care for my mother

sounds like fun!

Contributor

I discovered my aunt whom I am close to had dimensia and ealy on-set Alzheimers only after arriving at her home. She refused to open the door because she no longer recongnized me or any family members' names I mentioned. The most difficult part for both of us was transitioning from independent living to a memory clinic. One moment I was a home invader, one moment I was a friend she never liked, one moment I was a cat thief, the next she recongnized me and couldn't believe I would do such a thing as to remove her from her home. Heartbreaking. During my own counseling sessions I learned not to take any of it personally so I could serve as an advocate for my aunt. I learned more about the diseases and how they affect her sequencing. My aunt wasn't leaving the house inappropriately dressed for winter because she was acting out but because she had already thought she had completed the steps we all take for granted when we get dressed. Coat goes on after our shirt. Neurological diseases are just part of being human. Educate yourself so you may educate others.Take care of yourself so you may care for others. You may be the only advocate and care giver for your loved one but you are not alone. Resources are here on the AARP website.  

AARP Expert

@AARPTeri Sometimes those little accomodations make all the difference - and they are so worth it!!! Hope you had a great vacation!

Take care,

Amy

i take a break the same ways,do have a good day

Contributor

That's very nice I know how important experiences with family is. Hopefully, before this season ends I will be able to take my children to a place of their choice.

I love this story - it shows how important it is to include loved ones (and how worth it it is), even when there are some challenges to overcome!
Regular Contributor

Hi. I can't find the new message tab so I thought this might do. I am a caregiver too. Full-time now. I have two clients. One of my clients likes to go for drives and fortunately we live in the mountains so I have plenty of roads to drive. He loves it and it gets me outside too!

we had went to the beach in florida miami. there was this kid who couldnt swim at all and i cant swim but i held me head up and saved the kid. it was a touch challenge but i had got it done. his parents couldnt thank me enough

Although travel takes much more extra though and preparations, in the end, the change of scenery and the adventures to be had are so worth it!

I think it's great that the kids are spending time with her even though she may not be able to do the up and at em activities they might want to do. 

We will also have to get our player cards that morning of the tournament. You have to bring $10 in cash and your ID to get your card on Saturday morning. I am trying to find out more information about what time our first game is on Saturday. Just be sure you print out the the NTPSA form that I have attached and fill it out and bring $10 in cash. Hopefully I will get some more info today. If I do I will pass it along. Thanks. 

Contributor

Good morning  we haa great time this summer at the beach exen though  the water was not very clear it was a great time with my famioy

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP