Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Conversationalist

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 91 of 660 (1,534 Views)

I agree. I started when I was 30. Not only placing a small amount into a savings account (which I still own) but I also designated a large, water cooler bottle, since I was 35 and have emptied and rolled more than a thousand dollars over the cours of 25 years. My plan was to simply deposit any quarters out of loose change, into the bottle. It's now a ritual and until the bottle is filled to the top, nothing comes out. When full & emptied, I roll every quarter and then deposit into my savings account. Over the years my wife and I have enjoyed special ocassions just a little bit more, thanks to my water cooler bottle!

Info Seeker

Message 92 of 660 (1,534 Views)

My fiancee and I have been couponing for a few years now. It takes a little preparation before you go, but when you can get $150 worth of groceries for $30or $40 it is well worth it.

Info Seeker

Message 93 of 660 (1,534 Views)

Combine your errands into one trip to save on gasoline. Partner with a friend or neighbor to carpool to save even more! Drives my husband crazy, but it works!

Info Seeker

Message 94 of 660 (1,534 Views)

Collect all of the small change in your pockets at the end of eacd and deposit it into savings at the end of each month.

Info Seeker

Message 95 of 660 (1,534 Views)

I use coupons for shopping and I started to pay myself first before I would pay my bills.  I made sure  what I would pay myself would still leave me with enough money to pay my bills.  I gave up going out to buy coffee at starbucks and lessen the amount of times I'd eat out.  I would also make sure my car was operating well.  I would utilize the internet to see who had the best price on gas before filling up.

Info Seeker

Message 96 of 660 (1,533 Views)

This has probably been said, but throw all your change in a jar at the end of the day.  By the end of the year, you'll have a nice little nest egg to either use or keep saving upon.

Info Seeker

Message 97 of 660 (1,531 Views)

Be consistent, put away the same amount each week or month, without fail.

Info Seeker

Message 98 of 660 (1,531 Views)

I always ask myself these questions before I purchase  

1. Do I want it...well of course!

2. Do I need it...well not really!

So I dont buy it!

Info Seeker

Message 99 of 660 (1,531 Views)
All states have some "529 Plan" that allows grandparents to save money for their grandchildren's college education. When setting one up the grandparent, not the parent, should be the holder of the account for the benefit of the grandchild. In some cases the value of the 529 Plan would be included in "means testing" if the parent is the named holder.
Info Seeker

Message 100 of 660 (1,530 Views)

Try using cash instead of debit cards.  It hurts a little more to use physical money.