Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

save $10 every day

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Forget about using the AARP discount at Denny's and other places.  There are better coupons in the ads that come in your mail.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Getting a divorce is expensive.  Choose your spouse wisely and then nurture your marriage and make it last a lifetime.

0 Kudos

Make more meals at home 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

As we age, most of us incurr more medical bills. It can pay off big time to become a pro at reading medical bills and explanations of benefits. Because medical revenue and reimbursement has gotten so complicated and at the same time more automated, it is easy for your healthcare provider and your insurer to make simple human errors. Question everything you don't understand. Common errors are inaccurate coding and incorrectly applied contractual adjustments.   I worked in hospital and clinic billing for 20 years, and let me tell you that mistakes happen. It is not intentional, its just because we have humans entering data and sometimes humans are fallible. If you don't want to learn it all, the easiest thing to so is to find someone in the billing office that you can help you.If you don't understand why you are paying a bill, as them to explain it, If you find someone that you have a great connection with, remember their name and ask for them everytime it will pay off. 

Know what your maximum out of pocket is for the year. 

Also take advantage of any timely payment discounts your provider may offer. My provider where I currently live gives a 15% discount for cash payments. Since I have a $3,500 deductable, this may add up to a savings of $525 for me this year.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save more. Spend less. Repeat. 😉

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don't read or watch ads unless you are looking for somthing specific. Just buy things when you need them, not when someone else wants you to buy them.

Regular Contributor

find and use credit cards that rebate 5% of restaurant charges

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use Clorox to clean my bathroom especially the tub/shower.  I spray the Clorox and let it sit for a couple of hours then all I have to do is rinse and I have a sparkling tub/ bathroom.  Clorox is a fraction of the cost of most cleaners and it lasts longer so I know I am saving money.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I set up all bills on 'auto payments" so Im never late & dont need to worry about them. I just make sure each month they got paid & were correct.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

exercise at least 30 minutes a day to keep the doctor away and save on medical bills.

0 Kudos
Contributor

If someone is pushing you to buy now (on their terms, of course), then just walk away. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Years ago, I always loved to buy the latest tech gadgets coming out. It was a bad mistake. Computer is one example These gadgets costed a lot but they were soon out of date because tech products evolve so fast. If we were to keep spending for the latest tech products, we would waste our money while leaving our desires unfulfilled. We should only buy items that have all the functions we need. There is no need to buy something with extra options we don't use. Same can be said about latest fashion such as clothing, shoes, and handbags. There is no need to keep up with the latest fashion trend unless we have money to burn.

About investing, we all have a tendency to spend our cash on unnecessary things while neglect important things such as saving for retirement. The best way to get rid of this habit is to "pay" yourself first. We can setup automatic investments on our IRA/brokerage account/mutual fund account by investing a set amount every month. We don't see these money. So it is less likely for us to spend it. That's how I build up my investment accounts.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

SALUTATIONS!.... TO  ALL OF MY AARP/ RFG MEMBERS....

WELL, LET'S SEE...MY SAVINGS TIP WOULD BE ...TO MAKE A LIST OF ITEMS THAT YOU NEED FROM THE STORE....NOT WANT!  UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO DEVIATE FROM THAT LIST.  NOW LISTEN...THIS IS GONNA TAKE SOME REAL WILLPOWER. ..BECAUSE BELIEVE ME, YOU ARE GOING TO SEE THAT TASTY, NIFTY GOURMET SNACK YOU WANT TO TRY...WHICH BY THE WAY, WILL COST ON AVERAGE 3X'S OF ONE ITEM YOU HAVE ON SAID LIST.

THE GROCERS HAVE MARKETING STRATEGIES, AND KNOW EXACTLY WHERE TO PLACE THAT NIFTY BUNDLE OF 'GOODNESS' IN THE AILSE, TO MAKE SURE YOU WANT MISS IT.  CHANCES ARE, THAT ONE INDULDGING TREAT IS COMPARABLE TO TWO HEALTHY AND NUTRITIOUS DINNERS!  

THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BE FORGIVEN IS...IF YOU GET A CALL STATING TO PUT TOILET PAPER ON THE LIST, OR SOME OTHER 'VERY' NECESSARY ITEM.  LOL...NOW, IF YOU DO THIS WITH CONSISTENCY EVERY MONTH...BELIEVE ME, YOU WILL SAVE. AND PAY WITH CASH!!!. !.LEAVE THE CHECKBOOK & THE PLASTIC AT HOME!  FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, ITS JUST WAY HARDER TO GIVE UP $100 IN CASH. THE CHECKS AND PLASTIC SEEM LIKE 'VIRTUAL' MONEY, BECAUSE YOU NEVER SEE IT IN THE STORE.  

NOW, THIS SAVINGS TIP APPLIES TO ALL FACETS OF SHOPPING AT A BRICK & MORTAR STORE. AS FOR ONLINE SHOPPING...WELL, THATS ANOTHER SERIES ON HOW TO SAVE!

UNTIL THEN MY FAB AARP/RFG FAMILY...

'           SWEET SAVINGS!'

'JOANIE'

MS. JOAN ANTOINETTE BURTON
Regular Contributor

Enrol in an IRA account early in your career and start saving for your retirement.

Trusted Contributor

Start your 401k or IRA with the minimum percentage you can afford.  Each year you get a pay raise, bump up your contribution by 1% until you max out.

0 Kudos

Money is a tool for needs, wants and enjoyment, choose each very carefully the results will change your life. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great info!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Make sure you make the full IRA deposit every year -it adds up!

0 Kudos

Smart SAvings Sweepstakes

0 Kudos

At the end of each day, throw your change into a large jar. I use an large empty pretzle container. You'd be surprised at how your change can add up.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do my Christmas shopping now before everyone increases their prices for the Christmas shopping season. I also take advantage of getting 'bonus cards' when getting gift cards.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Enjoy life in moderation to stay healthy and save money

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up an automated recurring transfer from your checking to your savings.  Chances are, you'll never even miss the money moved to your savings!

0 Kudos
Contributor

At the end of the day, we take any $5 bills in our wallet and put them in an envelope.  Some people buy lottery tickets...we save.  We had to get a really big envelope...it is amazing how many $5 bills you collect.

0 Kudos

Enjoy retirement and spend some money. You can't take it with you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

buy a good stock like apple and stay with it, and also look for a high paying dividend stock like century link or att, and live off the dividend checks.reinvest the dividends if you prefer.

0 Kudos

I use my restaurant discount as often as possible.

0 Kudos
Contributor

"Don't save what's left after spending but spend what's left after saving". Warren Buffet

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pack a lunch and make your coffee at home.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP