AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 51 of 662

Have an app on your smart phone that tells you the gas prices in the area so you can go to the cheapest one that is close by.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 52 of 662

I am going to start growing my own food in container gardens.  Vegetables cost a fortune at the Grocery store.  You can grow your own vegetables - - freeze, pickle, or can most of it, and also can store many (example: potatoes) for months inside.  This will save tons of money.  Most vegetables produce pretty quickly!  Container gardens don't take up much room and are easy to tend to.  

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 662

GasBuddy

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 662

Keep it simple!! Save !! Save !!! Save!!

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 662

I save in multiple savings accounts.  Each month I put a deposit in each and let them grow. 

Info Seeker

Message 56 of 662

Saving for a rainy day....a penny saved a penny earned...my mom was right saving is important and I am working harder to save more.

Info Seeker

Message 57 of 662

To save $$$ in and for retirement you can:

visit local area library websites for interesting music, theater and art workshops, hear lectures, learn skills and interesting discussions on current topics and some have museum passes that allow you to visit for free!

rent DVDs from the library for a low cost evening at home- they usually include recently released DVDS, catch up on a TV/Cable past season episodes, learn a skill or scope out an upcoming vacation spot

visit county websites for summer music and plays usually held in county parks in the evening - bring a picnic basket, enjoy the evening!

visit hospital websites as many offer community outreach programs which provide information about a wide range of health topics, senior programs, mediation/yoga etc

look up free museum days, free garden days, national park service events, and free art museum days all for things to do that are fun and save $$$

Info Seeker

Message 58 of 662

Ditch cable television and save big bucks. Plenty of free video viewing available on-line and antenna T.V. Buy a used antenna at a thrift store, check out DVDs at your local public library.

Conversationalist

Message 59 of 662

Ditch cable-checkout Roku as an alternative.

L. Fitzpatrick

Info Seeker

Message 60 of 662

I have a full and part time job with pay dates on alternate weeks. $5.00 from each check is direct deposited into my savings account.  Savings grow quickly because I forget about it.