Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Think twice (at least twice) before you buy almost anything.  Do you really need it? Can you do just as well without it?  You will be surprised how much more stays in your pocket when you do this on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Find the Dollar Stores in your area.  The savings are incredible...especially on cleaning supplies!

0 Kudos
Contributor

A little money early, increases to good money later!

0 Kudos
Contributor

cool
0 Kudos

Everyone's a Winner with AARP!

Best,

Dana

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

There are less expensive cuts of beef that are of good quality that you can buy instead of ribeye etc.

Chuck-eye is a tender cut of good quality which is less expensive.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We  keep and maintain our cars for years so we can save on insurance, excise tax and auto loans. I would much rather drive my 2005 slightly dented van that is paid off than a new expensive car with a loan!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Buy Low & Sell High

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Always spend less than you take in after accounting for your expenses and dedicated amounts to save for your future.  Do not borrow for anything other than house/car.  If you do that, you can stick to use of cash-back credit cards to purchase only what you can afford to buy and pay off fully each month for a nice reward over time.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do not borrow money from anybody: you take somebody's money  for a (short) term but you return your own money and forever.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay yourself first!

They say it takes 21 times to develop a habit.

Let that habit be paying yourself first.

Start small and increase to a comfortable amount

If you need to make a withdrawal, you need to lower

your deposit amount.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Use coupon apps to save from your phone.

0 Kudos

Sure would be nice to win can really use it . I need a starting point that will allow me to add savings 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Check out mystery shopping as a means to either make a few extra $ OR get reimbursed for things you would otherwise have to pay for such as haircuts, restaurant dining, auto service, etc.  Every $ you don't spend, you can add to savings!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Turn off lights when not in rooms.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Always pay yourself first.  The amount can be anything, just pay yourself first. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great ideas! AARP!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Brown bag your lunch

0 Kudos

I buy used cell phones online so that I am not under a contract with my service provider.  The average surcharge on a 2 year cell phone service plan is $25 per month ($300 per year) if you have bought the latest and greatest new phone.  So, buy a used phone (good quality units can be bought for $50; I've done it numerous times) and put the $250 difference in the bank.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Review small daily purchases: such as coffee, cigarettes, smoothies, candy bar or newspapers.   Stop one, even temporarily, and put that money in a jar.

also look for alternatives; read the papers in the library. Applaud yrself on savings and aim to do something similar permanently.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

"Ladder" certificates of deposit, so that you can take advantage of higher interest rates and CD special offers as they become available. And shop around at your local credit unions and banks for those special offers.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Looks like a lot of options in the Smart Savings.

0 Kudos
Contributor

pay yourself first

0 Kudos
Contributor

set a limit, when shopping.
0 Kudos

When using att as cellphone service get AARP member discount. It can save up to ten percent 

0 Kudos

I try to save in any way I can. 1 way is to by generic whenever possible, 2. Look for different sales in stores, 3.  Purchase items at thrift shops.. sometimes you hit the savings jackpot at these places! 4.  Ask myself.. 'do I really need this at this time?'  put it back & maybe purchase it at another time, if at all.  5.  Sales online.. compare shopping on websites.  I have other ways, but gotta keep this short for now.  Good luck to all in your savings venture, & the contest!  (But, I hope I'm the winner! LOL).  ~Kathy~

0 Kudos
Contributor

Remember the song "Put your chewing gum on the bedpost overnight"?  Part of the song said, "a nickle is a nickle, a dime is a dime" (I'd sing another chorus but I don't have the time.)

Well, if you save those nickles and dimes they will add up to savings at end of day, week, month and year.  The savings will allow you to do special things:  vacation, purchase x, etc.

At days end, put your change in a container, and forget about it.  When the container is full, pat yourself on the back and admire your accomplishment.  t's like compounding interest.

Note:  I've been doing that and still working on my first million dollars!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Have your pay day go to a savings account. Transfer the amount needed. Leave the rest in savings. My son payed off his auto loan by using this method.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My wife and I have used a process that when we buy something like a car, land, other expensive item we shop and then wait 24 hours until we buy, this has saved a lot of impulse buys that we would have regretted.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP