Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Lifetime Fitness Hours Limited

As your Medicare Fitness Program Administrator may have shared with you, I am pleased to confirm that we have renewed agreements so members on eligible Medicare plans may continue accessing Life Time clubs as of January 1, 2024.

The new agreements were established based on the rate your provider is paying on your behalf and includes revised club access hours effective January 1, 2024:

• Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Saturday: 2:00 p.m. to close.
  • Sunday: all open hours.
  • Note: Members will have continued access to all ARORA Aqua classes at any time with a reservation and club arrival within 30 minutes of the class start time.
0 Kudos
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Periodic Contributor

This is still not right. Who is "I" as a contributor on this thread? I wrote a letter directly to the Chairman/CEO of LFT. He could not even respond to my letter. It is ridiculous. I was with LTF since it opened its doors here in N. TX. in 2003. I have no desire to pay them more money. We are not interrupting anyone working out at LTF. They do not have to spend any additional money to hire staff. It is just a money making idea. Look at the number of members they lost after the lockdown? All they are trying to do is increase revenue. This is still AGE DISCRIMINATION. This is STILL WRONG. 

View solution in original post

Contributor

You should have several good options for gyms offered through UHC Renew Active.  Also, you can join as many as you want. Why terminate your LT membership?  Itโ€™s not costing you anything is it?  

View solution in original post

Contributor

This change not only impacts seniors to maintain consistent workout schedules but also appears to unfairly target seniors, potentially infringing on seniors' rights to equal access under anti-discrimination laws. This approach seems to penalize members based on age, as the upgraded membership fees are prohibitive for many seniors.

The new policy by Life Time Fitness that restricts the access hours for Standard Medicare memberships could potentially be seen as discriminatory, particularly against seniors. Under the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, discrimination on the basis of age in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance is prohibited. While this law primarily addresses age discrimination within federally funded programs, it sets a precedent for how discrimination based on age should be handled generallyโ€‹ (Findlaw)โ€‹.

Given that other health clubs do not impose similar restrictions on Medicare members, and considering that the rates and restrictions seem to disproportionately affect older adults, there might be grounds to argue that such a policy could be considered discriminatory.

Furthermore, the option provided, the โ€œ65 Plusโ€ Membership at $179 per month for two, appears to offer a better value than the proposed upgrade for Medicare members, which would total $200 per month for a couple. This pricing strategy seems inconsistent and punitive.

It is also noteworthy that other health clubs, such as the YMCA, do not impose such restrictions on Medicare members, suggesting that such a policy is not typical.

Please maintain equal access for all members, regardless of their insurance type, and review your pricing strategies to ensure they do not unfairly discriminate against any group.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ShivJ938734 

I guess I donโ€™t understand the logic here because there are many other plans which are offered by Lifetime Fitness under Medicare plans - each one is negotiated separately with the insurer of the Medicare plan.  Of course, some are better in benefits than others - but thatโ€™s where premiums come in -

It is also an additional benefit not required by Medicare for a plan to have.  But it looks like many of these Medicare membership Life Time plans connected to various insurers have exactly what you seem to be looking for -

or can upgrade to them.

Medicare Memberships at Life Time

Each one is covered in detail at this site.

Now if you have this coverage under a MediGAP plan, read the EOC (Explanation of Coverage) and see how it is described if it is there at all - If changes arenโ€™t specified in the policy then I guess you could have a case of a breached contract - but that would be odd that this would be an oversite.

It maybe stated that they can make changes to these extra benefits, if so, what would this do to the premiums?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I totally agree with you.  I'm 75 and have been a Lifetime member for many years.  I was not on Medicare until this year.  I paid the same as other members and got the same full access.  In other words, there was no age discrimination.  Since going on Medicare and signing up for AARP Medigap, I pay a reduced amount and get full access.  I could pay nothing and get reduced access.  There is nothing about this situation that constitutes age discrimination.  

0 Kudos

I donโ€™t get it. The member is not taking up any extra space. But under the commerce clause, isnโ€™t it a violation to accept federal funds and discriminate due to sex, gender or age?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hmm, it might be discrimination against younger ages not being offered such a great deal.

Seniors have access to a great facility at a much reduced cost.

Seniors are not discriminated against because they are not impeded to simply upgrade.  Still a great deal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

It is discriminatory.  If they had created a tier system which any adult had access to limited hours at a reduced rate and then put the Medicare members in that tier, it would have been fair and legal.  But they created a lower tier based solely on age and/disability.  Its method is also similar to redlining in real estate.  Theyโ€™re trying to pretend itโ€™s not about the person they are supposed to be treating equally.

Periodic Contributor

Does anyone think that we have any Legal recourse?  People who are handicapped (any age) are also affected by this new membership policy since many of them have โ€œSilver Sneakers โ€œ (or One Pass).  They (LTF) are receiving Federal Funds. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Very important to notice they allow you to upgrade, to a pay that is lower than a lot of members.

All my life, gyms had tier system.  Hrs, no access to sauna, etc.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You're missing the main point. The real problem is lack of choice. The "upgrade" of $100 that is "lower than a lot of members" also includes the Medicare supplement that LT is receiving from seniors. If that supplement is (conservatively) a third of a Standard Membership ($129), then LT is getting $140 from seniors in the upgrade, not $100. But, the issue from the start was reduced hours. So, why can seniors not choose where that Medicare supplement is being applied? The "65 Plus" Membership is $119, the Standard Membership is $129, the Signature Membership is $179. Why is the only "upgrade" option, their most expensive membership? It would have been equitable to allow seniors an option in the upgrade process. We really don't need a membership that offers Infant care, or many of the other features of their premier tier. Also, the absence of communication on possible routes for us to follow, I think, is unacceptable for a company as professional as LT. For instance, a married couple of seniors on the Medicare membership, if they wanted to "upgrade," would pay an additional $200 per month. Yet, LT's "65 Plus" Membership would allow them to each have a full membership for $179 total! No one informed seniors about that option. At the end of the day, it seems that no one wants to disclose just how much money Medicare is putting out. I can't get any figures from our Medicare provider, from Silver&Fit or from LT. 

Periodic Contributor

This is a horrible business decision & yet another way to demoralize and marginalize seniors. Most attend the club in the hours you are prescribing and the ones that donโ€™t do not created any kind of overcrowded-ness or issues for other members. This decision isolates a good part of the population you as a business in our community should be supporting. In addition to my Medicare benefits, I pay $200/month for Pilates classes. When I leave the club, you will lose that revenue as well as the other revenue seniors bring. 

Periodic Contributor

It may be horrible.  The big mistake is offering it in the first place.

When they first started, they should have just done a blanket discount, like 10% to any senior over like 60. Unrelated to medicare.  Again a discount, but still much closer to actual membership.

All my life , gyms have had a tier system.  Restricting hrs, no access to sauna, massage chairs, etc.  Often I chose the lower membership , a choice.

Thus:

Very important to notice they allow you to upgrade, to a pay that is lower than a lot of members.

I don't see them loosing much members, full paying, members.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanking Lifetime for implementing the reduced senior hours policy.The lifetime location at garland,tx location is super packed with seniors throughout the day.Sorry if this comment offended anyone.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I don't think this policy makes it any better for someone like you. You clearly do sound anti senior around.

They can arrive at 9:30 and stay all day.

They can arrive at 3:45.

0 Kudos

Texas may have a problem but its not like that in Illinois (Orland Park).  Its not fair for them to do it across the country based on one state!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Their membership tends to be national.   I can travel and pop in all over.

Even with my signature membership, there are some locations labeled higher to which they only let me in once or twice. 

That is fair, I don't pay that membership.

I think it is fair to have a tier system.  I've always chosen lower tiers in every gym, skipping sauna, and massage chairs, etc. A choice.

They should just do a 10% discount to seniors regardless of Medicare.  But that would make the membership closer to full pay.

Contributor

I am saving your response and will send it to you when you become a Senior Citizen.  Then you will be able to determine if anyone (you) is offended or not.  What comes around goes around.

Contributor

I am a "senior" who strongly objects to Life Time's new policy. I am sorry that the Garland, TX contributor is uncomfortable with the number of my peers at their club. If the Garland seniors spend "every single day at" the club, it is clearly a central part of their lives. If so, I suspect that they will adjust to the revised schedule, arriving at 9:30 AM and leaving at 3 PM, so that they can socialize and exercise. They won't go away. My Life Time facility in Ohio has a senior population but I don't know if it numbers 200+. My routine involves exercising between 5-8 AM, every other day, so that I can pursue other interests/responsibilities the remainder of the day. There are very few people- young, middle aged or seniors- at the club when I am there, which is why I take issue with the policy change. The new policy conflicts with my life schedule and, since I cannot justify $100/month for early/late access &/or classes I have no interest in, I will be terminating my Life Time membership at year's end. I will join another national fitness chain for ~$30/month. It isn't as high-end as the Life Time I am leaving, but the locker rooms are clean and the equipment is new, albeit uniquely colored. I just need a place to sweat and moderately stress my heart at the start of my day. 

Contributor

You should have several good options for gyms offered through UHC Renew Active.  Also, you can join as many as you want. Why terminate your LT membership?  Itโ€™s not costing you anything is it?  

Periodic Contributor

I'm a senior.  Not offended, but clearly see he or she has issues.

More to my point.  You can upgrade your plan and workout at 5am.  No problem.

I just don't see the quick complaining.  All gyms throughout my life had a tier system.  Hrs, no sauna, no massage chair, etc.   I chose those gyms because the lowest tier was very cheap.

I like how LTF last year or so changed a lot of memberships to have access to many classes that before were extra.  I don't do a single class, so in a sense I'm subsidizing, but I prefer a more even level.

Again u can upgrade.  Or get more for your money at LAF, or planet fitness, etc.

Periodic Contributor

I agree with you 100% and will be leaving Lifetime as well. This new policy is demoralizing and marginalizing seniors.

Periodic Contributor

I just don't see that.  I workout at 530am most often, sometimes 5:30 pm.  I don't see that marginalization.

Keep in mind a very important thing, you can upgrade your plan.

All gyms I ever been too had a tier systems.  I chose them because their lowest level was very cheap.  Many went out of business.

I joined LTF on first month many, many years ago.  I asked for a lower tier, and they had none.  I still went with it.

This month, my gym at 10am is jam packed with pickle ballers.  Just adapt.

Periodic Contributor

Sad that you would say that out loud. Let alone think it to yourself!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This in "MY OPINION" is discrimination. Why should we have to pay $100 per month when Lifetime Fitness is already receiving money? Everyone thinks that those of us over a certain age just sit home all day and do nothing.  This is wrong. BTW---"Membership offering is based on the rate Medicare Fitness Program Administrators are paying on behalf of enrollees". SO how much are they paid? Is it capitated on a monthly basis or are they paid when an enrollee goes to the gym? 

EITHER WAY--------This in my opinion is AGE DISCRIMINATION. It is wrong and once again "greed" on behalf of LTF. 

I can understand that Seniors may put a strain on the club but Lifetime has handled it is terrible.  A regular senior membership at my facility in Michigan is $115 (no insurance).  The program that was offered to Seniors with insurance is $100 extra.  United Health pays $35 so they are charging us an extra $20 a month.  Limited hours would be okay to have access to the  cclub but they made no attempt to change the times of the Arora classes so that we can pparticipate in them.  Keep your free coffee! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

If we want to continue using the fitness equipment early in the morning (5-7AM), before it gets crowded, we must upgrade to a Signature membership for $100/month out-of-pocket. It appears to be a means of increasing revenue by Life Time. Very disappointing.

Periodic Contributor

Absolutely agree!

Periodic Contributor

I communicated the same to them and did receive and initial response. I did suggest that they offer options that would include early or midday access. My husband goes at 4:00 AM so we wonโ€™t be able to go together. 

Hello Rose. Thank you for your message and important feedback. Iโ€™m sorry for the disappointment caused by these changes. Given overwhelming growth in our Medicare population, this change was implemented both based on the rate Medicare Fitness Program Administrators informed Life Time they are paying on behalf of enrollees and our desire to keep Medicare programs in place for years to come โ€“ versus no access at all.

The solution we have created provides a fair and equitable offering relative to what all other full-rate members pay for access, while Medicare members continue to enjoy access with a significant price advantage. The alternative would have been no contract renewal, nor continued access to Life Time.

Periodic Contributor

IIs it true that Medicare memberships will be completely discontinued effective January 1, 2025? That's what I was told by Silver & Fit. If that's the case, that information should be made available now so that seniors don't adjust to the new hours only to have to pay full or find another facility in 2025.

0 Kudos

I heard that also from another fitness club owner.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP