Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Barclays AARP Master Card

Now that I have received my first statement, I find that Barclays charges interest even if you pay your full balance off every month. Chase did not due this. So tell me how this benefits the elderly.

Regards;

Mr. Pine  

Retired Moderator

Hi there, here to help. You should have received a Change in Terms letter from Barclays before the conversion. That letter states, under the 'Paying Interest' section: "Your due date is at least 25 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month."

If you have been charged interest, it could be a mistake due to the transition which Barclays understands. Please contact Barclays at the number on the back of your credit card or at 866-564-3674 and an agent will be glad to remove it for you. If you run into any issues with this, please give AARP a call directly 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) and we'll be glad to contact Barclays on your behalf. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I just cancelled my Barclays card today...  waited this long only because I was waiting for a return credit to post... I already have a replacement card thru Chase, thereby joining a lot of other folks who have dumped Barclays and gone back to Chase...

postscript today 11/1/21...

I messaged Barclays and asked how to cancel the card and account. I got this message back:

Thank you for contacting us about your AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays.

We’re sorry to learn that you are considering closing your account.

In order to comply with this request, we’ll need some additional information. To make sure we close the right account, please respond to this message with the last four digits of the account number you wish to close.

Once the account is closed, we will not be able to reopen it. Although we would hate to lose your business, an email response is enough for us to complete your request. You may also contact our Customer Care Department to close your account. Our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at <<Insert Number>>.

After we close the account, we’ll send a confirmation letter to the address on file, which should arrive within 7-10 business days. You’ll continue to have online access to our website, including viewing your statements, for up to six months from the date your account is closed and has a zero balance.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Care

success!!!    (silly me!)

Then, this AM I got the following message:

Thank you for contacting us about your AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays.

We apologize as we have provided misdirection on how to assist you of your request to close your account.

In order to provide you with the most individualized service possible, we ask that these requests be made through our Customer Care Department. Please contact us at 866-677-1563. Our agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to discuss what options are available on your account. We apologize for the confusion, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Care

So I'll be hanging out with my phone for however long it takes to get thru to a person in their call center in whatever country... just hope they speak and understand english since I'm fluent in only that one language.   

Success (really!)   Took my wife about 5 minutes to get the account closed...

Honored Social Butterfly

Yep sounds wrong / mistake? - but who's mistake?

Look at the statement to see if it shows a previous balance.  It may only be the 1st statement THAT YOU SAW. 

OR most likely this >>>>> did your payment post AFTER the payment due date of the statement.  Your payment can miss the official due date but still show up on the statement because the statement date is after the official due date of the payment.

OR Sometimes if you pay online or by phone the payment does not post until a scheduled date after the action.

Barclay Credit Card US:  Credit Card Payment Posting Timeframes

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

Previous balance was paid in full. Payment posted on 10/05. Paid full amount on card. Due date was 10/12. They charged interest on standard purchases @ 14.25%. This is totally unacceptable. Can you explain this.

@WP723033 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPLakeisha” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@WP723033 

Can't Explain it but might be able to give you some possible explanations for you to check out.

This is the disclosure for a new AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard - your disclosure might be different cause the interest rate you quoted also differs.

Terms & Conditions (barclaycardus.com)

I don't have this card - thank goodness!  

But this is from their disclosure:  

https://www.barclaycardus.com/applycontent/TnCs.jsp?tc44371 

How We Will Calculate Your Balance: We use a method called "daily balance (including new purchases)". If you are a resident of Iowa at the time the account is opened, we use a method called "average daily balance (including new purchases)".

It also says that they give a 23 day grace period:

How to Avoid Paying Interest on Purchases

Your due date is at least 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month.

Course NO grace period on cash advances or things that aren't direct good purchases. 

What were the date(s) of all of the purchases? 

What was the date of the statement?  (the one you paid from)

You said the payment posted on 10/5 and the due date was 10/12 so you have those dates now look at the others (the above questions)

IF it is wrong - it is wrong and you may not be the only one.  Sorry, without knowing all of the detail, I can't help you in any other way except the way it is suppose to work. 

Here is how credit card "daily balance" finance charge calculations are done -  sure sounds like they are calculating something that was already existing on the account.

Daily Balance Finance Charge Calculation Method (thebalance.com)

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP