Search

Anyone Else Allergic To Cigarette Smoke? 💉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone Else Allergic To Cigarette Smoke? 💉

💥June 10, 2021💥

ASK FOR A HELP TIP FORUM

Hey All!

Been spending way too much $ on battling the nasty smoke smell from my wonderful neighbors who luv to smoke indoors although they have been told by office not to. The apartment buildings are over 30 years old and trust me, way too many holes for smoke to be shared. 😱 I am very allergic to this smoke. 😭 Anyone else? If yes, how do you either cancel out or reduce your exposure? Lol, I plan on moving to be nearer to my only child but until this happens, over it. 😤 It feels like I have returned to work, no longer retired with my frequent need to use air fresheners designed for smoke removal. 🙄 Way too hot to leave my window open (Studio Apartment with one window). Lol, trying to stay out of jail for killing my neighbors. 🤣😂 But some days it is tempting!!! Thanks all, Angela 😁

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh no, @Anonymous 😩 Second-hand smoke is so unhealthy, and I'm sorry your neighbors are so uncaring and disrespectful. My suggestion is to keep letting your building management know. There may be fines they can leverage to get them to stop. If they don't stop smoking inside, I think the issue will continue to persist. I don't know of mitigation efforts you can take besides fresh air, but it sounds like that's not an option. Gotta love living in a building with other folks, huh?

View solution in original post

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm not allergic to it, but after having smoked for nearly 3 decades, I now cannot stand the smell. If I even walk past someone who is smoking and the smoke wafts my way, my lungs tighten up. I try to hold my breath while I walk through the plume, just to keep from having my lungs grab, even for an instant.

When I quit, I lived in a house that was openly accepting of smoking and drinking, where I rented one bedroom and shared the common areas with up to six or seven others. The only time I smoked was when I drank and couldn't stand to be around smokers when I was sober.

After I quit drinking, and the smoking went with it, I quickly searched for another place to live and moved to another apartment where smoking wasn't allowed. I was, again, renting a bedroom and sharing the common areas.

Even if your neighbors moved their smoking to the outside, you'd probably still have issues depending on the prevailing winds.

The best solution would be if you could find a place that doesn't allow smoking. Until then, if it's not one neighbor, it might be another. Good luck.

Stay well.

Lynn

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Free free to add a comment. Angela

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Ugh! So sorry you are going through this. I too am allergic to cigarette smoke, whether in smoke form or in residue left on hair, clothing, curtains, carpet, etc. My sinuses close right up when exposed to it, which then prompts a panic attack. Fortunately, smoking in the workplace, in restaurants, in all public spaces is banned in my state, but occasionally I get a whiff from the overhead or across the alcove neighbors, or repair people I have to let in my place. Ugh.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥June 11, 2021💥

Hey @DeahWA so exciting to have you stop by. Been awhile! Yes, it is also banned here in Cave Spring, Virginia and grateful!!! Angela

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I can't say allergic but I can say I hate it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@postman29 wrote:

I can't say allergic but I can say I hate it!

💥 Me too @postman29 💥

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm not allergic to it, but after having smoked for nearly 3 decades, I now cannot stand the smell. If I even walk past someone who is smoking and the smoke wafts my way, my lungs tighten up. I try to hold my breath while I walk through the plume, just to keep from having my lungs grab, even for an instant.

When I quit, I lived in a house that was openly accepting of smoking and drinking, where I rented one bedroom and shared the common areas with up to six or seven others. The only time I smoked was when I drank and couldn't stand to be around smokers when I was sober.

After I quit drinking, and the smoking went with it, I quickly searched for another place to live and moved to another apartment where smoking wasn't allowed. I was, again, renting a bedroom and sharing the common areas.

Even if your neighbors moved their smoking to the outside, you'd probably still have issues depending on the prevailing winds.

The best solution would be if you could find a place that doesn't allow smoking. Until then, if it's not one neighbor, it might be another. Good luck.

Stay well.

Lynn

Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh no, @Anonymous 😩 Second-hand smoke is so unhealthy, and I'm sorry your neighbors are so uncaring and disrespectful. My suggestion is to keep letting your building management know. There may be fines they can leverage to get them to stop. If they don't stop smoking inside, I think the issue will continue to persist. I don't know of mitigation efforts you can take besides fresh air, but it sounds like that's not an option. Gotta love living in a building with other folks, huh?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP