What can I do to help get mother up after a fall?

Caregiving Tips

Guidance on how to properly care for your loved ones as they navigate through the aging process

Image for$ {text.format(titleTextKey)}
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What can I do to help get mother up after a fall?

Message 1 of 4

i HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH FALLING  SO MY  DOCTOR SUGGESTED WE ASK MEDICARE TO GET US A HOYER LIFT. iT IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD TO USE BUT I SUGGEST THAT YOUR LOVED ONE BE STRONG ENOUGH TO HELP GET THEMSELVES ON IT. WE HAD TO PAY A MONTHLY PAYMENT UNTIL WE HAD 13 PAYMENTS MADE AND THEN IT BECAME OURS. HOPE THEY WILL STILL DO THIS FOR YOU.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

AARP has a great video: What to Do When Someone Falls! 

Source: Family Caregiving Series: What to Do When Someone Falls - AARP

View solution in original post

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Although you can’t abuse the system by calling too frequently, most EMS teams will respond to a person asking for help lifting an ill person back to a chair or bed if you are clear when you call dispatch.  This is you asking for help to lift and clearly stating you don’t need a ride to the nearest emergency department.

Jane

If this response answered your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution. This helps those who might have a similar question find the answer faster.

For more information, see How do I use the Accepted Solutions feature.

View solution in original post

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What can I do to help get mother up after a fall?

Message 4 of 4

My mother falls down pretty often, and my back is really starting to bother me. What can I do to get her back up?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.