Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What can I do to help get mother up after a fall?

My mother falls down pretty often, and my back is really starting to bother me. What can I do to get her back up?

0 Kudos
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AARP Expert

Although you canโ€™t abuse the system by calling too frequently, most EMS teams will respond to a person asking for help lifting an ill person back to a chair or bed if you are clear when you call dispatch.  This is you asking for help to lift and clearly stating you donโ€™t need a ride to the nearest emergency department.

Jane

If this response answered your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution. This helps those who might have a similar question find the answer faster.

For more information, see How do I use the Accepted Solutions feature.

View solution in original post

AARP Expert

AARP has a great video: What to Do When Someone Falls! 

Source: Family Caregiving Series: What to Do When Someone Falls - AARP

View solution in original post

Contributor

i HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH FALLING  SO MY  DOCTOR SUGGESTED WE ASK MEDICARE TO GET US A HOYER LIFT. iT IS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD TO USE BUT I SUGGEST THAT YOUR LOVED ONE BE STRONG ENOUGH TO HELP GET THEMSELVES ON IT. WE HAD TO PAY A MONTHLY PAYMENT UNTIL WE HAD 13 PAYMENTS MADE AND THEN IT BECAME OURS. HOPE THEY WILL STILL DO THIS FOR YOU.

AARP Expert

AARP has a great video: What to Do When Someone Falls! 

Source: Family Caregiving Series: What to Do When Someone Falls - AARP

AARP Expert

Although you canโ€™t abuse the system by calling too frequently, most EMS teams will respond to a person asking for help lifting an ill person back to a chair or bed if you are clear when you call dispatch.  This is you asking for help to lift and clearly stating you donโ€™t need a ride to the nearest emergency department.

Jane

If this response answered your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution. This helps those who might have a similar question find the answer faster.

For more information, see How do I use the Accepted Solutions feature.

Contributor

An inflatable bed with an internal pump can be successfully used to get someone weak or heavy several inches up/off the floor, which makes it easier on everybody to manage.

Roll the fallen person onto the flattened inflatable mattress. Turn on the embedded air pump to inflate the mattress. It quickly fills and raises the person and bed, up. Just like that they are on a bed, and closer to a standing or sitting position for whatever comes next.

Judy M Romano
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP