Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

No more icons to deal with the fonts?

Honored Social Butterfly

No more icons to deal with the fonts?

I have noticed that now on the reply section you cannot deal with the size of the font of color have they taken out those functions.

no name
Kudos
Views
Replies
Silver Conversationalist

Roxanna, how were you able to set the size and color for the font in your original posting? The Red letters and the larger font size I mean. I took a screenshot below. I'm just curious as to how you were able to do that.

Screenshot (133).png

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Because when you star a thread you have the opition to deal with changes in the font area and color

no name
Silver Conversationalist

Roxanna, I took a screenshot with my iPhone and I think I am seeing what you describe. I tried also requesting the desktop site instead of the mobile site but there was no change. On a laptop it works fine but it evidently is something that they didn't plan for for mobile access. You're welcome to forward this to the AARP tech team but I don't know of any way around it on a mobile device. Boop boop a doop!

Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 2.16.07 PM.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

I have already told them about this also they say that you can ut your threds into a chronological way but it doesn't work also. have told them that but no answer yet.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks gang, tried, but no dots! Will keep working on it. 
This seems to be a case of...it worked fine, then they tried to fix it. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I have changed in my preferences the following. I can now see the posts as they are being posted. in chronological view.
Go to prefereces, display linear and then your will have on how you see the responses. no more hunting aroung

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Ocean, sure your advice is good, but I donโ€™t have 11 icons, or 4 dots. Perhaps there are other settings. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

William, if you don't have exactly as the Reply pic Gail has kindly posted, I find that weird and it should be fixed for you.  Kind of not fair, at all.

Honored Social Butterfly

Well some of us do not see what you see. no dots in the reply section at all

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Will check the suggestions, not sure that anything has been fixed...time, date sequence is out of wack...no topic subject in posts...moving posts is overly sensitive...among a couple of items. 
No cigar on the toolbar text. 
Have iPhone, different formatting?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Right, william39198 - I see no expanded tool bar on this reply which I am doing from my iPhone

Still on iPhone- trying stuff

ok on the iPhone/iPad  you, the user or the poster. can control bold, italics, underline by tapping the word twice and it will highlight and bring up an edit box 

for choices.

I will use this word as an example

HELP

HELP

HELP

HELP

You can do this in any combination or you can drag over to highlight and do a long list of words   Example:  iPhones are great but to make them work for you, you have to study and apply functions.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail  now you understabd  what you see in your I phone is what I see in my  ompuer

no name
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Yep, I do. On my iPad though it shows the expanded options. It might be because of the width of the screen. What are you using to access AARP? Do you use and iPhone or do you have an Android phone? I have an article that says the desktop version can be displayed on Android mobile devices. But if you only have an iPhone I think you may be stuck because of the screen width. 

Hereโ€™s a link that describes it in detail, how to request the desktop site for a webpage

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In the Reply box top right corner, clicking the .....  line of dots expands the toolbar and then you'll find them appear again.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry how do you expand the tool bar?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Click on the three ... to the right of the text box as Oceanedge posted.  Then 'A' for font color 

Honored Social Butterfly

Here is a screen shot, Roxanna35  - see the little dots on the right hand side - if you put your cursor over them it says "Expand Toolbar"                  

right here  โฌ‡๏ธ -expand toolbar little dots

Screenshot_2020-11-01 Re No more icons to deal with the fonts .png

Honored Social Butterfly

Maybe AARP should consider their audience when designing new features.  Not everyone is as intuitive as the Gen-Xers and millennials!  Many here probably are accustomed to manuals, directions or diagrams.  Ya think?

If you routinely express intolerance, please consider the definition of "bigotry".
Trusted Social Butterfly

Right. They could send out a format for vote. That would be democratic.

Us oldies are still getting used to the old format.

We don't like new things where you have to stand on one foot, face north, put foil over your head and sacrifice the towns dumbest pregnant virgin just to get a message across.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

For as long as you live, you will have NEW things that creep into your life whether or not you want them to -

When you stop learning - learning new things - other things stop or you cannot participate because you don't learn the new things.

It is this way for, it seems, just about everything. 

• I bought a new stove top - had to study and study, same thing with a new coffee maker
  • Guess I might have to break down and buy a new car and then study up on how stuff works

Keep that ole brain hoppin' - at least for as long as I can.

Yea, I often tell people - don't give me any electronic gifts cause I don't want to learn anything else new - but they do anyway and then I have to learn it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail  we bought a new SUV  in April and I am still trying t figure out lots of things. i have to read the manual for basic things.  LOL

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Agree!!!  AARP should design and program the forum for the targeted group instead of for the IT people.  Not making too many points with this configuration, instead turning people off.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TxGrandpa2 

I don't think that they are trying to turn people off - it just takes a while to understand where everything is - it takes awhile to iron out the bugs - like the Flooding error message that many of us were having - think that has now been fixed.

You and I both know that people just use to what device they are using and many don't every learn the full scope of the device. 

I am gonna say that all of these AARP community forum formats have been geared for PC users.  The older ones and this new one - But even me with my limited knowledge knows that today we have many more browsers, many more types of devices - each of these has different settings which the user controls for their needs or enjoyment.

On the iPhone / iPad many of these personal choices are either in the settings as options or you learn how to do them - like taking a screen shot on an iPhone or iPad - definitely not the same as doing it on a PC.

So AARP has designed this current version to be compatible with a PC using several different browers -  but maybe not all of them especially when certain things can be controled by the user.

If the user wants to read, post, maneuver using an iPhone or an iPad - they have to learn how to perform certain functions on an Apple product which is different than a PC - Windows product.

I have heard people complain about going from an iPhone to an android and vice versa - it is all about learning of the HOW - cause basically you can do the same things on them - but you have to learn HOW on the specific device and sometimes the specific browser.

This also works on a PC

• To make text bold, select and highlight the text first. Then hold down Ctrl (the control key) on the keyboard and press B on the keyboard.  BOLD
  • To make text italic, select and highlight the text first. Then hold down Ctrl (the control key) on the keyboard and then press the I on the keyboard.   ITALIC
  • To underline - yep, you guessed it - UNDERLINE

To change a font size or change the whole view - a couple of ways:

press and hold the Ctrl key then move the mouse wheel up or down. - bigger to smaller

OR

press and hold the Ctrl key, then press either + or - (plus or minus) to increase and decrease the font. All browsers also support pressing the Ctrl key and 0 (zero) at the same time to reset the font back to the default size.

Honored Social Butterfly

Gai  I happen to to be an MCp amd am MCSA  for Microsoft believe me I do know computers. 

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well I changed Browsers  now I am on Opera  no dice no changes no deal

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Tex  do you feel that perhpad there is an issue with the compatibility of browsers?

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail  When I am replying there are no three dots at all for me to put my curser  the curser only appear after I reply

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Roxanna35 - What kind of device are you using?

So when you hit "REPLY" and the reply/post box opens up for you to type in your reply.post, you have no icons at the top of it that looks like the screen shot that I posted?

Honored Social Butterfly

"... you have no icons at the top of it that looks like the screen shot that I posted?"

That's what I understand William is also saying.

Are we old dumb bunnies or what?  Good grief.  IF that is the case, yes - a ton more consideration would be nothing but appropriate.  KISS~  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP