Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

IF YOU HAVE SENT A PRIVATE MESSAGE?????

Honored Social Butterfly

IF YOU HAVE SENT A PRIVATE MESSAGE?????

If you have sent a PRIVATE MESSAGE to someone in THE COMMUNITY and it seems that there has purposely been NO RESPONSE, how would you read that?

Would you read that as being ignored?

Would you read that as the recipient being rude?

What do you think??????

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@nctarheel 

hey nc,

You have to consider who these forums serve...a bunch of elderly people. Who knows, your correspondent may have died or be in the hospital at this point.

Has the correspondent made posts at dates later than your message? Had you corresponded with this party previously? Did they reply to you?

If you replied "yes" to the above then maybe they just don't want to carry on the conversation. Maybe they even blocked private messages from you. It's called being "ghosted"; you can google for that.

Alternatively, maybe there was a technical hitch. You might try sending another message, apologizing for intruding and you just like to hear directly what the scoop is. The results may not differ.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@nctarheel 

Want to add:   the AARP Profiles have a feature that shows the "last login" for the profile you're viewing. So you know when they've last been around...for whatever reason you might want to know (I do want to know on occasion). But the thing seems not to work half the time! 

Anyway, if that feature works for your correspondent's profile you could check if they are around and logging in.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

(1/4/23) @nctarheel I am stepping away and I will NEVER respond to any of YOUR THREADS moving forward.  🥳 Nicole 🙂

@Anonymous,

I am confused. If you meant your statement above, then why are you giving my post a "kudo"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous, Thank you.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous,

It seems that you certainly enjoy responding to a MULTITUDE of messages throughout all the different forums.

I have my settings set so when someone responds to one of my posts, I get a notification. You have responded to some of my posts that were very old,  from 2015 and 2016.

I even forgot what they were about until I received my notification of your response.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

They may not know about the private messsages or how to access it.

Karyn
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Karyn8, Yes, the recipient is well versed in the use of the PRIVATE MESSAGE.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Possible very busy posting a reply in a thread, or attending to other matters that require their full attention with the intent to reply later.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BillD916633,

I appreciate that you give "the benefit of the doubt" to the person or persons to which I have directed a PRIVATE MESSAGE, but, after two weeks have passed, I find that an "intent to reply later" is no longer a valid excuse.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Maybe they just don't want to respond.

You might find it rude, but maybe they simply don't want to engage, or you've said something they don't want to respond to.

It's not compulsory, so maybe just move on and don't dwell on it.

just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

It's happened to me in other areas.

Silver Conversationalist

@nctarheel 

No mention of the two week time frame. I agree with @b163043p 

just move on and don't dwell on it. It has happened to me also. Life is just to short.

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I find it interesting that all the responses I have received basically make an excuse for the respondent's lack of response.

That seems to be what has affected our society in recent years... that people are "forgiven" for not taking responsibility for their actions.

From maybe they were "too busy", to "they don't know how to use the system", to "maybe they'll reply later", to maybe "they don't want to"....... each and every excuse takes the side of the respondent.

That speaks volumes about society today and why excuses are made for all sorts of societal problems.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There is NO way I could respond to all the PMs that I was receiving via this board a while back.  So I just turned off the little envelop in my settings.

This is a discussion board so if there is something to be talked about, this place is as good a place as any to discuss it.  What is discussed could help others if they care to read it. OR others can just ignore it.

If AARP powers want to contact me about something, they can override my settings since they have one of my many email accounts. 

So, just talk here if appropriate - if not appropriate maybe it doesn’t need to be said at all under any format.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1,

Why were you receiving so many PM's?

As far as forums go, these boards are almost barren. It is generally a very small group of people that post to AARP's boards at all and they are usually the same people over and over and over.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Most of them were asking for more info from a conversation that started on one of these boards - mostly Medicare and Insurance or Social Security boards.

Some had detailed specific unique problems, again mostly with SS or Medicare + some VA benefits problems.

Got a lot during PHE years and some of those special paycheck programs that came about.  

I just got tired - I have been here since 2008 but AARP changed from the old program and now my date shows 2012 - either way, it is a long time.  

SSA and CMS have now gotten back to in-house work as opposed to remote working.  However, they have lost a lot of previous employees who either retired or sought work elsewhere so the CS is still rather lacking.  

Yes, this AARP community board has changed al lot - seems they are more involved in making it a game/music/benefits/rewards board.  Seems to be the direction they are moving rather than anything that involves discussion topics.  Nothing political as you know but sometimes they do leave up various discussions of proposed legislation as long as it stays away from political discussion.

Look at the order of topics in the drop down box - this indicates their priorities now - which is fine; it is their community.

Yes, the population here does seem to be dropping and changing - others, like myself, don’t reply or post as much anymore - although I would like to know what happened to some of the ole timers - 

Silver Conversationalist

@nctarheel 

Maybe all the members sending @GailL1 those PM"s were just lonely LOL

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Then they should have picked a better listener - by nature, I am pretty much an isolationist, recluse, loner - 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP