Community Manager
Community Manager

What would you do with a day off and $200? Tell us for a chance to win!

The pandemic has blurred the lines between work and home making it even hard to disconnect.  But disconnecting from it all is an antidote to stress, even if just for a day. 

We would love to hear what you would do with a day off and $200.  Ten of the of the respondents will receive 50 AARP Rewards Points!

Post your day off idea here between March 1 and March 31, 2021 and you will be entered for a chance to win a 50 AARP Rewards points! 

Have you enter the AARP Rewards Take a Day Sweeps?  If not be sure to visit and enter here:  https://www.aarp.org/getrewards/campaigns/2021tad/

* No purchase necessary. Legal Residents of the 50 United States (D.C.) Ends 3/31/2021. See Rules  including odds, and prize description. Void where prohibited.

AARPTeri
Contributor

I would take the day and  travel around to the places we are considering to retire within the next few years.  

Contributor

While I can think of many things if I win, if kayaking doesn't work out,  I would love to go on a site seeing trip to parts of the Oregon Coast with my husband and son.  The Pacific Northwest is absolutely gorgeous.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker +

I'd spend a long overdue day with my amazing husband. Celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary on April 14th.

He's been holding down the fort since I've been in another state caring for my parents. My Mom was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma back in October and spent a month in the hospital, 3 wks. in rehab, and had several other stays hospitalized for COVID, Pneumonia, Stroke and blood clots in the lungs. I've gotten her through the hardest part (Chemo), and her hospital stays. While taking care of my Dad as well. He has a bad back and doesn't get around as well as he used to.

I'll be returning home March 28th and I can hardly wait to see my husband, grandchildren and my dog. It's been a long time coming. So $200 and a day OFF with my husband would be GREAT!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker +

My husband and I have cared for his 91 year old Mother after her fall just before the Covid restrictions, she had 5 broken bones and still needs round the clock care. We would have someone stay with her and take a day just to relax and spend time away with each other. We have been 4 states away from home for a year.

0 Kudos

Go to a day spa for a massage and then have a wonderful lunch or dinner with my husband!  Buy lunch for a stranger.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Redo my patio area and just sit and read my AARP magazine and do word search books just enjoy the sounds of birds. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

If I were to win, I would love to pick a beautiful, sunny day and go kayaking with my husband and enjoy a picnic along the shoreline somewhere.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spoiler
I would spend a weekend at Lava Hot Springs.

She is diabetic, and she had recently a brain surgery

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

my goodness i hope your wife is getting along better. If your post is for some contest and if i were in it and won i would donate almost all the winnings to you and you wife for her rehabilitation.  we all have crosses to bear but through prayer jesus and your support she will get better

0 Kudos
Contributor

1. Well, I would take that 200 and find a needy cause, food bank, women's shelter, children's charity and surprise them with the gift of 200. This would put a smile on my face and make my heart sing.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Take a much needed short site seeing trip and enjoy the scenery! Maybe stop and shop and enjoy an ice cream!

0 Kudos

Go get the grandkids and go to some places they never been before around where they live.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker +

I would spend the day alone in nature with my binoculars, chair and a book.  Being outdoors in nature, birds singing, frogs croaking is a totally rejuvenating experience. I am my husband's care giver so it is important to spoil one's self and recharge.  I would then pick up my husband for a ride and ice cream and watch the sunset together.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am having to move out of my apartment this month because the rent has gone up $251 in 3 years. I would take the day and the $200 to spend a much needed day exploring areas and less expensive places to live. With $200 I would have enough for travel expenses to be able to drive to an area that would be much more affordable.

Contributor

Since my husband of nearly 52 years passed away in November 2019, every day has been a "ME" day in as much as I can do whatever I please.

I would take myself and the $200 to Athens, TX  to the Henderson County Foodbank and see if they could use my help for the day. I know they can use the money!

Contributor

Spa day!  Haircut, mani, pedi - and give some good tips to those making me pretty!  If there is anything left - I shall have an adult beverage!  

I would take my sister to get her hair done and take her out to lunch. Since the pandemic, she hasn't gotten her hair done and she needs to get out and get some pampering!

Contributor

$200? I would make it a day for a road trip that would entail shopping at local family owned businesses. Discovering new places, whether it's a small retailer or eatery. Giving back to those trying to make it in this pandemic world we're living in. 

Info Seeker

I would order favorite lunches for my daughter, my two grandchildren, and me for a nice picnic at the botanical garden. And with the rest of the money, I would get myself a pair of good walking shoes.

0 Kudos

I would take the day and go somewhere with my family. Make a new happy memory with them with a active outing outside the isolation and stress from the restrictions we all live in now.

Contributor

If I received a windfall of $200 and had a day off, I would go to the fabric store.  I would purchase bolts of fleece fabric in 4 colors Yellow, Maroon, Royal Blue, and a color appropriate for a man. As founder of The Yellow Rose-Strong Oak Society, LLC (a nonprofit), I would then cut the fabric in 1 1/4 yard pieces and take 1/2 of it to have it fabric embroidered appropriately:  Yellow - Yellow Rose (Women 85+); Blue - Blue Diamond Society (Men & Women 80-84); Maroon - Antioch Baptist Church North (members on the sick list); and Appropriate color for men 85+ Strong Oak Society. Finally, I would tie two matching pieces of fabric together to make blankets for these designated groups.

Conversationalist

I would take my wife for a scenic ride along the NH coast and stop at our favorite seafood restaurant for lobster rolls! We would stay in the car and watch the waves while enjoying our meal and spending time away from our home. A pandemic freedom day!

Info Seeker

Postman I like UR idea that is what I would do too. with my friend.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would take my husband out shopping and get some lunch at a nice restaurant.

If I won $200 I would go get a medi pedi and take out dinner and relax at home

Info Seeker

I would spend the day with my husband. We'd go out of town for a local lunch and dinner and explore Louisville all day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I buy  groceries 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPTeri  OK...I’ll go first! In the morning I would get up with my youngest son, who is a senior in high school, and make him his favorite breakfast of eggs, sausage and toast; before he heads off to school or Zoom. He usually just grabs a granola bar. Secondly, I would head north to my daughter’s college, pick her up; and take her to her favorite nearby sub shop for lunch. Finally, I would invite my oldest son (who just got his own apartment) out to have dinner with us. My husband would light up the grill for chicken and we’d have chicken/shrimp fettuccine Alfredo...one of their favorites. The $200 would more than cover the cost of the meals and I would get to spend time with my four favorite people!

I would try snd do nothing for one whole day convincing myself I was getting paid for it since for whatever reason , I can never just relax without some justifiable benefit (which seldom occurs) 

0 Kudos