Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Holiday Savings & Budget Contest 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Holiday Savings & Budget Contest 2022

Share how you use the Rewards Catalog to support your holiday giving and budgeting for a chance to win one of eight (8) $50 gift cards.  

One example from previous year's posts:

I purchase the max amount of Build-a-Bear gift cards for two months and use them as stocking stuffers for my grandchildren.  

Runs from 9/27 - 11/23/22. Click here for rules

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

I use the gift cards that I have collected across the year (either from contests or discount purchases) to bring little joys to the entire holiday seasons. Starting around thanksgiving, I send my kids dunkin or other coffee gift cards so their Black Friday shopping runs are well caffeinated. Then across the weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas, Iโ€™ll send IHOP for a breakfast out, other restaurant cards for weekend treats, etc. 

im also notoriously hard to buy presents for, so I collect lowes cards, buy my own gift and let my spouse wrap it for me.  I get specialty tools I want from Loweโ€™s, on sale and at a discount. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I usually need all the financial assistance with holiday gifts as I can get. I have gotten some gift cards for loved ones using points. I have also gotten a couple of items which were discounted. I just wish the discounts were more significant. I got a chopper for veggies that I've really enjoyed and a few gift cards for gifts, but I've never gotten a really great deal as of yet. Every little bit helps I guess.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Holiday shopping to me has always meant Black Friday shopping!  Waking up early on Friday morning with my sisters and friends, waiting in line at Target in the cold morning hours and hoping the toys and gifts I have on my list will still be available when the doors swing open and the flood of people rush inside.  The excitement of shopping on Black Friday has always made that day, one of my favorite days of the year!  Scoring on the best gifts possible with rock bottom prices was the ultimate rush!  Staying on budget was less important in those days, but those days are over and so is the one day Black Friday!  Budgeting is extremely important in retirement, and with inflation at the highest I have ever seen, saving on holiday shopping is a necessity and a talent I have mastered in the past few years with the help of AARP.  AARP Rewards has played a big part in my lowering my out of pocket costs on many items, including restaurants and retail stores.  I check the Daily Deals preview posted weekly, and purchase the ones I want with a 30% savings.  I then use coupons to stretch the savings and try to purchase mainly sales item and use rebate apps.  I purchase restaurant gift cards as well and try to match up the Near You restaurants for maximum savings.  I join the restaurants and stores loyalty programs and check their websites and emails for maximum savings.  I play the instant win games everyday and have been lucky to win quite a few times!  I watch the videos and take quizzes to earn points and purchase 3 gift cards every month.  I choose the GCs I know I will use in the future and keep them in a 3 ring binder so I can access my gift cards easily.  I try to choose the same ones to maximize savings  AARP Rewards has made an impact on me and has saved me a lot of money, and that is  how I save on holiday shopping and budgeting with the help of AARP.

Regular Contributor

The AARP Rewards program has added a lot of โ€œHappyโ€ to my holidays and has been a great help with staying within my budget! Last year I was able to use Boston Market gift cards to purchase my Thanksgiving dinner with very little cash! I was also able to purchase a $100 sweater that my daughter wanted for $25 thanks to the REI gift cards that I got from the rewards program.

This year I will have enough gift cards to take my daughters to Panera Bread for lunch (for free) while we are out shopping for gifts and we will also be able to stop at Starbucks for a treat! I will be able to use the gift card that I got from an Instant Win to purchase a candle from Yankee Candle to use as a hostess gift for my friend when I go to her holiday party. I try to collect all of the Amazon gift cards that I can during the year so that I can surprise my husband with something special on Christmas day. I save up the Sephora and Ulta gift cards to purchase luxury items for stocking stuffers for my daughters. I also use various retail gift cards that I have gotten from instant wins or purchase with points to reduce my cost for gifts. All of the gift cards really add up and allow me to splurge over the holidays! Thank you AARP!!!

Conversationalist

A lovely warm coat for my granddaughter and a hot hoodie for my grandson; my total expense: $5. How, would you say? With $50 worth of for points Old Navy * gift cards from AARP Rewards combined with Black Friday early sales! Abracadabra, and the $120 purchase costs me only $5. Thank you, AARP Rewards: more money left in the budget for books and toys which will make the kidsโ€™ Christmas a magical one.

*and associated brands, all saved all year long

Regular Contributor

I get the maximum points every day by doing the Rewards games and watching videos and quizzes. Then I use the points to buy gift cards for things I need or plan to gift to others. I've also won a few gifts cards so that's been really great.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I have 2 shopping bag designated to collecting items for those in need.  One is for food pantry ,the other is for toy drive.   I coupon and sale shop all year.

Periodic Contributor

I bought a Landsend e-giftcard at a discount from the Rewards Catalog and I bought a much needed winter coat.

Trusted Contributor

I accumulate toys all year long to donate to local toy drives at Christmas time for presents for families in need.  An example is Toys for Tots but there are many local charities sponsored through community, church groups etc that I enjoy contributing to also. Each month, throughout the year, I diligently check availability for AARP gift cards for points looking for department store gift cards in my area like Macyโ€™s, Burlington, Target, etc.  I immediately go online to find toys and combine the gift card with sales and other coupons the stores may offer.  There are often percentage off offers even on sale items and the savings can really add up using the AARP gift card and sales and coupons!  I have accumulated a nice variety of toys this year.  Thank you AARP for your contribution to all of this through the points for gift cards I was able to redeem.

Contributor

We saved over $200 on our recent Carnival cruise by purchasing discount gift cards thru AARP. Awesome to save money on stuff youโ€™re already planning to buy. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My finances are really tight this year so I am using any gift cards that I can earn using points as gifts for my children and parents this year.  I have been saving them up.

Contributor

I plan on donating the gift cards I have earned/purchased,  to my community center's Christmas Bingo as prizes!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I plan to purchase numerous gift cards and save on each purchase.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I plan to save money on my Christmas card budget by using my points to purchase some of the Christmas cards offered in the AARP Rewards Catalog. I like the fact that you can personalize them, which makes it a little more special when sending to family and friends. You can schedule the mailing in advance, so I get a jump on my Christmas card list. As an added bonus, AARP e-mails the card, so - no stamps!

Trusted Contributor

I have teenage nieces and nephews that love to shop for themselves, but instead of just giving them cash for Christmas presents, I include a $5- or $10-dollar gift card that I purchased from the AARP Rewards Catalog with my points. Big favorites are Old Navy, Game Stop, and Banana Republic. That way, I can reduce the amount of cash I give them, but actually increase their spending power. For example, instead of giving them $30 cash, I'll give them $25 and a $10 gift card. They have $35 to shop now, and my $35.00 gift cost me $25.  It's a win-win!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I plan to give gift cards to my daughter who is a nurse, that way she can give gift cards to her co-workers and patients 

Periodic Contributor

It's so exciting to see "Lucky You" come up on the Instant Wins! I look forward to trying for them every day. I've given the gift cards to friends and family and use some for gifts and some myself.

Contributor

I love to buy gift cards to Walmart and Target and use them to buy gifts for the Salvation Army Christmas Angel tree or purchase food for a holiday meal for our elderly residents

Contributor

I like to use the gift cards as prizes for family games when everyone comes over for thanksgiving dinner 

Contributor

I know this comment will not get me an entry into this contest and I don't care because I hardly visit this section of AARP anymore. Points now expire so there's no need to try and save for an item requiring a lot of points, the discounts you offer on gift cards are pathetic, I can find higher discounts at Kroger AND get 4 x's gas points! The daily deal you used to offer was worth waiting for every day, now I can't even find the link to BUY one of your daily deal gift cards. The rewards site is just not worth my time even to learn from the activities. I can read a quick article somewhere else on AARP and get better informed on the same issue in less time.

Trusted Contributor

yes i agree, the rewards are limited so you might come back to it next day and it is gone.  discounts are terrible but free is free even if it is only $5.  But $5 at a local restaurant gets you little.  They had some free daily offers but of course even if you logged on at the exact moment it starts you would have little chance of actually scoring it.  someone gets it but not most of us.  and now you can only get one of a kind per month.  I saw they had the options for the 1-800 baskets which includes about 9 companies.  so I thought if I get these over the next few months it would be a nice gift to give someone, several $5 off.  turns out some of them are once in your lifetime so my thinking where I would get one this month and one next month, right out the door on that one.

Trusted Contributor

I see where you're going with the 1-800 Baskets, but first check the sites. Those companies listed only accept 1 gift card per on-line order, no matter how small the amount on the card. I think if the person calls customer service, they can use more than one, but they have to call. Also, if you look close, Cheryl's $5 gift card is quite a few points cheaper than 1-800 Baskets but lists the same companies. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

yes all true.  I discovered after using points for the least one and got the second one for more points, wondered about this especially when it is all the same basic company.  went to the site and found out about using one and only one (all of $5) discount when the stuff is overly expensive anyway plus shipping etc.  I went on their chat and they told me about calling in order, could use something like a hundred cards.  but why AARP is limiting this redemption to one per lifetime is beyond me.

Trusted Contributor

one time they offered a discounted card to some donut place and it was full price.  It was advertised at a discount but said it was worth $10 and cost $10.  Even $9 for a $10 card is too high.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't have a clue how to use anything like this on here. Could someone help me out?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

One you log into AARP, click on "Rewards" at the top of the screen. First you have to earn points, so change "Discover," to "Earn" and then filter by what method you want to earn them: quizzes, videos, etc. After you've earned points, then then go back and change "Earn" to "Redeem." It will bring up the catalog, showing you what's available to buy, or take a chance on instant win, or enter sweeps. Also, in the "Discover" section, scroll down to see videos and quizzes you have to take if you want to unlock those choices. Keep in mind, you have to be an AARP member to get those.

Trusted Contributor

you can earn points doing everyday things like watching videos, taking simple quizzes, etc.  log into your account and look under rewards.  click on the item that interests you and watch or quiz or game.  After completing the task you get points.  you can get 5000 points a day, if you are a member you get 500 points a day.  Each activity has a varying amount of points.  Some activities you do once, once a year, once a month, once a week, or daily.  you pick what works for you.  You can do the same activities every day or change it whenever.  after you earn the max for the day come back the next day and repeat.  Every month you can get up to three items for free or reduced price depending on item.  use your points for these items.  you have the potential for about 220K points a month.  Keep earning every day or use them as desired.  Points expire a year after you earn them.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

FYI very hard to find this link.  Please make it easier for others to hit reply asap not have to go through chat to figure this out.

I earn the max points daily and as a result need to spend or lose points so I enter any sweeps that is worthwhile to me.  sometimes I win the instant prize which I print then use at the holidays for others.  I also spend my points on the three items I can redeem per month, usually a gift card.  sometimes to places I frequent but sometimes places i think others may enjoy.  Then at the holiday gathering I tell everyone to indicate their first , second, and third choices of the given cards and then pick the lucky winner(s) by raffle.  At least by asking others which vendor they want I do not give them a promo for a place they may not frequent. sometimes I have enough gift cards for everyone (8 people and counting) to get something.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I use the Rewards catalogue to buy gift cards for that one person who has everything!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP