Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics Iโ€™m interested in like โ€œwhat do you know about long-term careโ€ from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

Hello.  Everyone has such great ideas to enhance their knowlege and their emotional well-being.  Being a full-time caretaker, I find it more essential than ever to take care of myself.  Music soothes my soul.  It is one of the best ways to bring myself out of sadness and enhance my emotional state.  

You see, my husband is in end-stage renal failure.  We both became ill at the inception of the Coronavirus.  He, with kidney failure, and I suffered a pulmonary embolus due to post-operative complications.

It hasn't been easy, many times I cry myself to sleep.  But I remember how many children and animals that I have had the honor of helping.  I was a child therapist for over 30 years. And the powers that be have put many little animals, who needed help, in my path.  Knowing that I put my very heart and soul to this day.

Please remember that your life has and continues to have great meaning.  If you have helped one person or animal to breathe easier, you are a success.  

I enjoy learning new skills such as woodworking, glass etching, quilting, and so much more. The techniques for each help both my mind and motor skills become more refined and I approach projects like a puzzle that need to be figured out.

0 Kudos

A friend of mine just launched this social woodworking application. You might want to try it out if you want to talk to others about your hobby or I think you can get advice on your projects... Learn woodworking at your own pace | Download today! (hobbyhack.com)

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do a lot of reading online. I also read & watch educational videos on the Aarp web site. I also take quizzes from this site. I try exercising some by running up & down the stairs in our home. Not running, walking as quickly as possible. Keeping the blood flowing to the brain helps also. 

0 Kudos

Duolingo daily for over 600 days learning French and Greek. Daily Wordle; at the Y for strength training or Pilates or yoga 5-6 days a week. Eating healthy foods!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To keep sharp, I enter sweepstakes where questions are asked and you get points for entering, as well as for correct answers, just like on the AARP website !

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play a lot of word games and read to keep my vocabulary sharp

0 Kudos

I love stretching, mild exercise. Breathing exercise.. reads, sings and communicate a lot specially with my other language German.. and mostly keep myself busy with my work and do more house chores! Keeps me happy and content spending time with family! I think that helps me lot!

0 Kudos

I keep my brain active by reading books, I love the James Patterson novels.  I also participate in Zumba, I have to really think to learn and remember the routines.  I play word trivia on my phone. I am also in the church choir where it is necessary to learn and remember songs.

0 Kudos

I love to dance!  I take Ballet classes to keep my mind, body and spirit strong and sharp.  In Ballet class we learn combinations, which are steps put together to create a small dance to music.  In the combinations I do turns, change directions, levels, and need to coordinate my movements to the rhythm of the music, while remembering the order and what the steps are in the combinations. This is a great workout for my body and mind!  It also lifts my spirit!  WIN, WIN, WIN!  I highly recommend this to everyone.  It's so much fun!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my mind active by just relaxing, not thinking of anything with the light's  deem ,and followed by a crossword puzzle or word find through AARP app or my own puzzles.

Nothing fancy just relaxing.

0 Kudos

My brain gets a workout every time I spend the day with my 2 year old granddaughter. Trying to figure out what she is saying is a great brain activity!

0 Kudos

I keep my brain active by doing crossword puzzles, quizzes, reading both fiction and nonfiction, (belong to a non fiction book club)Cooking nearly every day from scratch, entertaining friends, walking, concerts, theatre and opera, listening to mainly classical music, and keeping up my Dutch by talking to cousins in the Netherlands 1x week(its free on Facebook messenger)

0 Kudos

I keep my brain active by reading a lot of both fiction and non fiction books, crossword puzzles, cooking from scratch  , entertaining friends, walking most days , concerts and opera and some travelling .I am bilingual in Dutch and English(and some Frisian) and maintain my Dutch by speaking with cousins several times a month.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I participate in the Stronger Memory program sponsored by Goodwin Living and Dementia Friendly America. The program consists of simple reading, writing and simple math activities, practiced 20-30 minutes a day. The goal is to improve brain functions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I regularly do the AARP quizzes and watch the videos. I also do puzzles every day to keep my brain active (Rubik's cube, crossword puzzles, search and find puzzles, etc.). I search the internet to learn more about various topics. I help people with computer related problems and questions. I help to maintain websites which involves learning more of the web programming techniques. I also engage in talking with friends regularly.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use the app Duolingo and practice language learning daily. Itโ€™s easy, fun and very challenging as it sharpens memorization of words, sentences, etc.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I read (magazines and newsletters, mostly), answer trivia and language quizzes, and play strategy and word video games every day.  Twice a week, I meet with family or good friends for interesting, topical conversations, then twice a week I socialize with basic friends.  Plus, my cats love me and I love them.

0 Kudos

I read 3-4 books a week. Whenever I read a review of a book that sounds interesting I request it from the library. Lots of history and science fiction and mysteries!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I am a senior in college earning my BS in Environmental Sciences. I am pushing myself even more with a year left to see my hard work reach my goals. Presently I am maintaining an A average in my courses. I have really enjoyed almost all of my classes, (except Statistics). I have learned so much and  I look forward to using these new skills and knowledge in the real world. 

Hopefully, being a senior citizen will not impede my efforts to help the environment and the planet.

Anita M Endeman

Contributor

I am an avid reader. Usually read 3 books a week on my kindle.  I also enjoy cryptogram word puzzles, and the fill-in puzzles, I subscribe to Penny Press/Dell Variety Puzzle magazines. 
 Both my husband and I listen to music during mealtime.  My husband has an extensive CD library

Let's all keep alert and weโ€™ll!

I definitely keep my mind going by playing tennis and pickleball. When I canโ€™t get outside, I play memory games on my iPad. I try to visit with friends and attend concerts, shows and go out to lunch or dinner with them. Having these relationships not only keeps me happy but helps the memory. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I purposely take online classes that will challenge my thought process. For example, I am not into coding but I registered for one. The other way to keep the brain energetic is to enlist in AARP activities which include reading articles, taking quizzes, and watching videos. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do the AARP Staying Sharp activities, walk and hike, read a lot, do crossword puzzles, and recently got a new computer which uses a different photo editing program and I am setting aside time (like for a class but on my own) to learn it step by step.

0 Kudos

I do the continuing education required for my job. It keeps me up yo date and challenges me to remember new things.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play Words with Friends, Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle pretty much every day, read regularly, take walks, belong to a monthly book club and a women's spiritual group that discusses all sorts of issues. Of course, spending time with the grandkids keeps one active in many ways.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Active gardening, short walks, book reviewing, puzzle solving, news watching, and experimenting with different recipes, photographing interesting scenes, and phoning friends from the past. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

One of the best ways to keep the brain active is to engage in AARP activities which include reading articles, taking quizzes, and watching videos.  To keep my mind creative, I make interactive greeting cards for friends and family which have pop up elements to create movement.  Knowing how to assemble the cards, choosing color palette or coloring parts of the cards, and die cutting is a good exercise for the brain.   I have an extensive collection of crafting tools in my inventory that needs to be kept organized, so remembering where those are stored is a good challenge for my brain.  Exercise and staying fit is my way to keep the body and mind healthy.

Engaging with my 2-year old grandson keeps the mind young.  I make him interactive flash cards to teach color, shapes, and alphabet letters with cute animal die cuts.  To see the delight from a child in learning is very fulfilling.

Periodic Contributor

I try to keep up with the basics of enough sleep, a good diet, and regular exercise, since I find that when I do, it's a lot easier to really engage my mind in everything, whether it be work tasks or leisure activities!

0 Kudos

I am a book club leader, so I am always reading and learning about new things in order to lead discussions. Exercising every day, just walking my little dog (my personal trainer) helps me think more clearly and feel less rusty. It's easy to play Words With Friends and other word games on my I pad.  I challenge myself to play games that aren't word games to work the parts of the brain that aren't natural to me! Number Match, Sort Puz, and Wooden Block all stretch me. Also learning to play Canasta - I think trying new things that aren't already in your natural skill set is important! 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP