Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics Iโ€™m interested in like โ€œwhat do you know about long-term careโ€ from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

I am 69 years, after 2 strokes, I keep busy by watching Jeopardy every day. I subscribe to Brain and Life magazine and listen to Brain and Life podcast once a week. The games I play on line include Lumosity for speed, attention, flexibility, memory and problem solving every day.  Other games include solitaire, mahjong, trivia puzzles and games from AARP.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain stimulated at age 63, I play word games, create crafts of all kinds, mow my own yard, volunteer at my church and am the Director of our Women's Mission Unit. I also help a friend at his scrapyard by performing office duties weekly. I love to stay busy and spread The Word of Jesus! Smiles go a very long way in making someone's day!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I read books, play online games with AARP, I try to learn something new and challenging, something out of my comfort zone

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I keep my brain active in many ways.  First I volunteer with the USO at Hobby Airport 4 times a month and participate in training new volunteers.  Second, I love to do puzzles such as jigsaw, sudoku, word and trivia on a daily basis. Third, I take part in activities in my community several days each week.  And last, I do a lot of reading and crochet which the majority gets donated to charity.  Keeping busy is important.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain engaged, I enjoy all types of puzzles, trivia, various ways to play Bingo and Jeopardy, and Scrabble - what a way to learn about different things that you have not actually experienced.

I have also enrolled in a university program of study for the past three (3) years and I volunteer for several non-profit organizations in the area/community which render services to the entire community.   

Last, but certainly not least, I have explored, registered in the local college, and am still learning Spanish by practicing with co-workers, students, and families in the education arena. 

I am thrilled to continue the learning process to keep my brain engaged.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have learned to play a few old time folk instruments such as the mountain & hammered dulcimers and the bowed psaltery.  The hammered dulcimer group meets weekly and practices for performances at nursing homes, community events and festivals.  Learning new music is challenging and fun at the same time.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been engaged three times, but was never able to "seal the deal". Newly retired, I peruse the AARP Relationship videos and quizzes to keep my brain as sharp as a tack. Maybe I'll stick to dating.

0 Kudos

Games, online and in-person, are you favorite activities for keeping my mind sharp. I am also learning Italian.

0 Kudos

I love to play online word games. Wordle, Quordle, Spelling Bee,and word connect are my favorites. I also enjoy playing all types of games with my family.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do play games online. I like the match 3 games, solitaire, mahjong, and all different kinds of card games. I'm a cashier at Menards and that really keeps my mind sharp. I'm a loner and my job forces me to interact with people which is very much needed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our local Senior Center has an entire page in the N/L each month with puzzles.  Occasionally there is a contest with an entire booklet of puzzles & brain teasers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To keep my brain active & engaged I do sudoku,  wordle, and other games. I also read and teach Science, Technology, Engineering & Math concepts to K-5th grade students. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take group exercise classes.  I play some games.  I volunteer at a soup kitchen. I have a social calendar.  I have a loving family.  Planning some travel.  Do some reading.

0 Kudos
Contributor

@cjr 261                   To keep my brain active is an ongoing daily task that includes weekly lawn care and gardening as my exercise. Stress relief from listening to my AARP videos  Word games such as Word Search  the daily WORDL USA Today puzzle page and also Word Jumbo calendar.  But best of all is when I can not only learn but earn my AARP points for future rewards A complete workout that is fun and healthy 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love working my puzzles in the morning, in particular soduko, word jumble sometimes a cryptogram. I go to the local Y for exercize classes and a swim 4 mornings a week. I love looking through my grocery shopping apps and compiling my weekly deals which is a good brain exercise! It is also a benefit to my wallet. When I am able I do some of the things I mentioned in the fresh air and sunshine. I also garden which clears my mind.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I consistently read the news and any information pertinent to political or the economic growth of the world. I make it a point to stay informed at all times of different things that are happening in my community or neighboring communities and/or the world

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I faithfully play  brain games every morning (after meditation) before anything.  The daily meditation also helps me focus.  I walk for 15 minutes after lunch and again after dinner and have weekly movement classes - TaiChi, Pilates, Moving For Life.  A small group of friends and I go for nature walks, usually where there's water, every Sunday.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

PS I also swim 20 laps weekly.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I trade stocks almost every day which means I must read about the company, understand the financial condition of the company , and read what other analysts say about the company. I am disappointed when the weekend gets here and the markets are closed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love doing word search puzzles and playing hidden object games. I go walking and like to do yoga classes online. 

0 Kudos

I do water aerobics and yoga.  I belong to a book club and I am an avid reader.

0 Kudos

I complete a daily crossword puzzle & play mind games ( Mahjong, Wordmania, etc.) daily. I also go to the health club regularly & join a native American flute circle monthly to stay connected with others.

0 Kudos

I make Seminole patchwork and bead.  Creating patterns for both keeps your brain active.

0 Kudos

I get exercise by swimming daily and spend a lot of time playing with my dogs. They keep me on my toes!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am fortunate. Even though I am over 55, I still have a child who entering high school. She keeps me on my toes. It takes a lot mental brain active. I have to keep up with the extra curriculum schedule. She is in orchestra. I get to listen to her concerts which stimulate my brain functions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I work crossword puzzles,say my prayers when I walk both daily.Also keep active as CDR of Korean War Veterans Assoc.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love reading books, puzzles, board games etcโ€ฆ

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do word games and puzzles everyday.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Teri - I read the AARP articles, watch videos, take quizzes and join Denise Austin on her exercise classes.  Thank you for offering activities to keep us engaged using our muscles and brain.  You have to commit yourself to doing the work but it's not work at all.  It's fun! 

L.P. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I hopefully keep my brain active by running 4 miles a day with my almost age 68 body!   I also have signed up for the upcoming half marathon which will be my second one!   Perhaps a marathon in the future but we all have to keep trying for body AND mind!  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP