Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 321 of 9,918

Just read Wilde Lake by Laura Lippman.  Fantastic read!  Currently reading I almost forgot about you by Terry McMillan

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 322 of 9,918

Great to see you again Diane!  Of course I knew you didnt stop reading.   I try hard to not let this thread die, as it really is my favorite.  Sue (Doglover)  is a prodigious reader so she is instrumental in keeping us going.  I will endeavor to keep you and Pam around by hook or crook haha!

A friend gave me Love is Eternal by Irving Stone,  about Mary Todd Lincoln.  It appears Stone is out of fashion right now but his historical novels are a joy to read in my opinion.  I have ordered several books from the library and will report when I get them.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 323 of 9,918

@nyadrn   I just did a little internet search to learn more about books by authors Karen Harper & Jenny Milchman.  I will be looking for some of their books at library - thanks for mentioning them.  At the moment, Jenny Milchman's "Cover of Snow" particularly appeals, as a possible good read.

Karen Harper does historical novels, which generally appeal to me, especially if written by a female author. I don't like that I favor female authors when reading fiction, & I do try fiction by male authors.  But I end up reading fiction almost exclusively by females.  (Think I've previously mentioned one male author that I do read, Bill Pronzini, who writes the "Nameless Detective" mystery series.)  

I may pursue "Justice For Bonnie".  Can only take so much of that type topic/tragedy.  I read & then step away - the actual family & friends of such victims don't have that luxury, of course.

Thank you for the kind remark about the summaries I do - took me by surprise!    Pam

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 324 of 9,918

@gatorgorilla wrote:

I recently read "Alligator Candy:  A Memoir", by David Kushner.  In fact, I read it through several times, as it took place in the area of Tampa where I live.

"Alligator Candy:  A Memoir",  is the non-fiction account of how the author & his family dealt with the senseless, brutal murder of his older brother in the fall of 1973, by a pair of psychopaths.  One afternoon the older brother rode off to the nearby 7-Eleven, taking an often-used path through the woods, to get to the store.  He never returned home.  His abandoned bike was found within 24 hours.  His brutalized body was found a week later.>>

Though my situation was "at a distance" since it was not with a family member, but with a former student,  reading Kushner's book was helpful & enlightening to me, and I am surely glad he chose to write the book.  I am also glad I chose to read his book.   Pam

It is really scary how many books there are about this type of tradgedy.  You never realize how much really goes on and how many families are affected.

You always do a great summary!

I just read "Justice for Bonnie" which I actually purchased while on vacation.  It is also a true story of a mother's search for justice in the murder of her daughter.  It was in a local bookstore that we stopped in.    Written by Karen Foster and I.J. Schecter

Also recent reads:

"Down to the Bone" Karen Harper

"Cover of Snow"  Jenny Milchman

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 325 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Hi Gator,

I would like to read  these,  the Rougue series that is, which one do you recommend starting with?  BTW it is good to see you posting here.  I must ask Diane to visit once in a while, I love her book selections.

Hi and thanks : )

I havn't been here in awhile.. not sure why but you know I havn't stopped reading.  It keeps me company everyday on my commute to and from work on public transit as well as lots of other times !

Nice to see that this is another of the groups that are still active!   and I am always looking for good book ideas!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 326 of 9,918

I finished the Anne Tyler book" A Spool of Blue Thread" really enjoyed it.

The book I've just started is by another author I've never read,Annie Dillard. The book  contains 3 of her books in 1 volume "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek,An American Childhood,The Writing Life". Our minister at church has mentioned Dillard a couple times in his sermons,he likes her writing. He got me hooked on 2 other authors,Anne LaMott and Fred Beuchner Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 327 of 9,918

The book I'm reading now is "A Spool of Blue Thread" by Anne Tyler. I've never read any of her books before,so far its good. The book is about the Whitshank family,Abby&husband,Red,their 4 kids.The book is set in Baltimore,MD. I  recognize some of the places she has mentioned so far in the book. I say this because for 2 yrs when I was a teenager,I lived with my aunt&uncle in suburb of Baltimore,Lutherville. I could write a book about that unpleasant experience. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 328 of 9,918

The book I'm reading now is "Top of The Rock: Inside the Rise and Fall of Must See TV" by Warren Littlefield. He is the former NBC President of Entertainment from 1980's - early 90's He was originally hired in 1979 by late Brandon Tarkitkoff,then vice president of programming at NBC. Warren became responsible for turning NBC around from last place network to #1 during those yrs,  The "Must See TV Slogan" refers to the powerhouse shows such as "Cheers,Seinfeld,ER,Friends,Mad About You,Will&Grace". The book has interviews with writers/producers/directors & stars of these shows,how the shows came to be on the network schedule.

I've already found an interesting fact,Ted Danson wasn't the network's 1st choice to play "Sam Malone" on "Cheers'. The head honchos thought Fred Dryer,the ex LA Ram football player turned actor would be good in the role,he audtioned with Julia Duffy. The writers/producer&director of the show thought Ted&Shelly Long's audtion was funnier than Fred&Julia's,rest is history. Dryer went on to star in cop show "Hunter' which ran from '84-'91. What I've read so far is fascinating. Sue

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 329 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita    Yes, it is good to be busy, but not so busy that you don't find time to enjoy a bit of reading!  The days can really get away from us - always seems to be something needing attention/doing.  My reading gets put aside more often than I would prefer.  Hope we both find some time to read in the days ahead.  Smiley Happy     Pam

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 330 of 9,918

Pam thanks for all the great recommendations & information.  I need some light reading. 

Regarding the story of your student who was mudered, actually that sounds uncomfortably close, especially as details must have been given in the media.

Another hectic day awaits.  I have had no time for reading the last few days.  It seems that by the time the chickens turn in it is almost time for me to turn in.  Then I spot something on TV that interests me and I do not read.  I have been trying to watch Mary Beard's Ultimate Rome series and cannot get one  uninterrupted hour to do do.  Its good to be busy I suppose  Woman Happy.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views