Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Working Seasonal Jobs

Do you take on part-time/seasonal work for the winter holiday season? If so, what do you do? Do you do this every year? How long have you been doing this?

If you're looking for seasonal work, these companies hire seasonal workers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been working seasonally during Tax Season (Jan-Apr) as a tax professional every year for 30 years and also volunteer for the VITA program for 6 years preparing taxes at a senior center.

Social Butterfly

The wife and I have been working for years doing seasonal jobs for the local department store.  Here's a hint at what the job consists of:  ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿคถ. Shhhh, don't tell the kids!

Regular Contributor

I began working at Christmas time more than four years ago in a seasonal job.  I retired in 2013 and wanted to do different work from what I did in my profession.  I've been working ever since.  I'm in my 70's and meet those my age and those who are younger.  My manager is younger, and we be are a lot alike and have things in common.

I will have to say that working this year on Thanksgiving and Black Friday was a little more difficult than I expected.  One day we work of a morning and the next day we work at night.  It's a little more difficult to keep things at home up to date.  I love Christmas and just began decorating today.  I would recommend working as opposed to being at home.  We need each other!

Periodic Contributor

Macy's part time is the first job I've had since retiring in 2017. I was hired over the phone and scheduling is employee friendly. I didn't want to cashier so I work taking new merchandise out of boxes and processing it as well as straightening and folding floor merchandise. 

Last year I worked for Khols as a sales associate. It only lasted a few months and it was ok. This year I am working at Amazon and I love it, I would like to stay on after the holidays. It is busy work and you are constantly moving and on your feet, but it it a great job that pays well.

Regular Contributor

I've put in 8 holiday "peak" seasons with UPS.  You're contacted each morning by phone and offered a job as a "jumper" - riding (and running packages) with a regular UPS driver.  You'll meet the driver at a pre-determined place and time and stay with him/her all day - or until enough of their load has been delivered.  The work is hard, the weather can be tough - depending on where you live.  If you're a retiree and go to exercise classes - you'll get your daily workout (and how!), and get paid well for doing so.  The job gets "serious" after Thanksgiving, and you're usually done on Christmas Eve.  The work is usually Monday-Friday, but your start/end times will vary depending on the UPS work load.  Believe me, they're busy!

In-person training classes have been replaced by online instruction.  Uniforms are no longer required.  I'm looking forward to Year #9.

Contributor

Ups runner sounds lots of fun

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm hearing that some UPS driver-helpers are quitting because the work is harder than they expected.  Whatever became of our good, old-fashioned American work ethic?  If I can do it at 71, what's with some 20-something calling it quits??!!

Social Butterfly

Fresh out of college and around the holidays, I picked up a seasonal position just to earn some gift money.  Low and behold, it turned into a career for me and now I'm the corporate CEO of that same company.  You never know what your employment future holds!

Contributor

This is my second year working at Orvis as a salesperson and I work only 2 days a week during the holiday season.  It is a great company and they hire great managers so I really enjoy my work. I personally enjoy helping people so this a job that helps me do that. They offer a 60% discount on clothes you buy that you can wear in the store. Everything else is 50% off. This is a company I recommend you check out.

Contributor

Since my retirement as a high school English teacher, I have worked the various local, state, and national elections in my county. It's wonderful seeing democracy work up close and personal. It makes for a long day (6:45 AM to set up the polls until 8:45 to take down the polls). Most people are nice; when they aren't you can just give them the number of the Election Commissioner's office for them to handle. (I've never been at a place  where this has happened.) If you want, there is a chance you can work Early Election as well as Election Day. Early Election usually involves about 2 weeks of working 6 day each week and 8-10 hours a day. The pay level depends on the local government. The real joy comes in meeting such a variety of people, especially young people who are voting for the very first time. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP