Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Want to take your career to the next level? Ask a Career Coach!

Message 11 of 62

As a retiree, I have started a non-profit that serves senior citizens.  Is it possible to obtain mentorship, sponsorship and advocacy through AARP relating to gerentology?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 62

Approximately 2 years ago, I was injured and although surgery helped a lot, I am left with presumably permanent limitations with fine motor skills in my fingers.   I am trying to move and learn assistive technology skills but have made no progress in finding assistive technology that includes calculating functions.  

I wanr and need to work again but am a total loss to figure out how to move on focusing on my strengths.   Among my expertise: forensic accounting,fraud investigation (plus developing training materials and teaching continuing education for certified fraud examiners and CPA’s

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 62

Hi, @DouglasF182890 -

Thanks for reaching out!  

As you'll know from looking at previous messages on this thread, I don't believe in recommending specific kinds of jobs for people.  I believe that particularly after all of your experience, somewhere inside you, you have the best idea of what that job is that you want to do that's going to fill you with a sense of meaning and purpose.

My five-step process for figuring this out starts with your willingness to review and reframe any outdated or limiting beliefs about what you're good at, what you can or can't do, or how the world works. 

Then, talk to the people who know you well (and for a long time) and drill down into how they perceive you, what you have done best (and worst) in your work to date, and what possible ideas you could or should pursue. 

Then, I encourage you to confront any baggage you may have around the work you've done to date - all of the wrongs that have been done to you, the disappointments around missed opportunities, deals gone wrong, bridges burned etc. etc.  It's time to forgive all that (including yourself) for the past.  Everything is a lesson, and you've got to be able to bring a positive attitude and a beginner's mind to your next act.  If you don't, any lingering hesitation or bitterness or cynicism will be felt by those around you.  And you don't want that happening in a job interview!  

Next step is to "workshop" the career ideas you're thinking about.  Do your research, immerse yourself in this new area (or areas if you're trying to narrow it down).  Meet the people, take notes, make plans, run spreadsheets, get domain-specific advice (e.g. from the Small Business Administration if you're thinking of launching a new business). Create mind maps, vision boards - anything to capture all the pros and cons of the prospective job, career, or business you're considering.  Share it with your close friends and trusted advisors.  Make it an iterative process to figure out where and how you'll be happy in your new career.  Sit with it until you've dispelled all the doubts and are crystal clear about what it's going to look like.

Finally, use your network to make it happen.  Don't think that sending out resumes is going to get you a job. That's the biggest mistake you can make (just look at the people on this thread who have been stymied by that approach...).  Know the value proposition that you're bringing forward, and how the role or the business you're contemplating can make clear dollars-and-cents impact (i.e the "ROI").  The more clear and concise you can be about what you want to do, the easier you're making it for friends, colleagues, and connections to help you find the employer, partner, investor or other connector to get you where you want to go.

Yes, it's a lot more involved than saying "I'm going to look for a job as a Marketing VP in the golf industry."  Good luck on that approach.  You'll be competing with younger and likely cheaper candidates who will get the nod before you do (ageism is an unfortunate reality...).

The bar has been raised for older job seekers.  Think of yourself as a consultant providing value to a client vs. an employee taking direction from a boss.

What is the special synthesis of everything you've learned and loved about your work in real estate?  Jot it all down on a white board and imagine how it could be portable to other businesses or industries.  Again, your network is the key.

Hope that's helpful!  Let me know if you have any more questions.  And if the five-step approach sounds interesting, check out my book, which goes into all the details.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 62

Hello,

I want to make a career change.as I'm tired of not making money on a regular basis.

Currently, I'm a Realtor for 6 years, and have a background in finance, insurance, investments.

I'm 63 years old.

Any suggestions?

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 62

Wow @ColorMyWorld72  -

Let me get this straight:  your boss has worked with you successfully for 28 years, and yet is so jealous or petty that if you leave to do something else, he's going to play the victim and cross his arms and not give you a recommendation?

Well, I guess there are some small-minded people out there - although that's scant comfort for you at this point.

Still, do you think there's a way of salvaging this?  Could you take him to lunch and acknowledge him for being a great boss (he had to be at least "OK" or you probably wouldn't have stayed with him for 28 years, right?).  If he feels like you really appreciate the relationship, and his leadership and guidance, he might not feel so hurt that you want to leave.

Explain to him that this is not against him or against the company.  It's really about you wanting to grow more as a person and as a professional, and since he has (ostensibly) supported you in that process over all this time, he's got to be able to see that maybe after 28 years, it's time for you to "go to grow."

Ask him what his biggest concerns are.  If he is afraid of the problem he's going to have in replacing you, what about reassuring him that you'll work with him to find and train your replacement?  Maybe there's already someone at the company who he already knows who would be the right fit for your position (that would make it even easier).  Is he concerned about confidentiality and trade secrets and you "stealing" ideas or maybe clients/customers?  You can reassure him that that is not your plan or intent. 

Explain to him from the heart what you want to do and why it is so important to you.  Again, make it about you growing, not about you being bored or dissatisfied with your current job.  The more he understands your motivation and hopefully empathizes with you, the less he'll be upset with you.

If all else fails, and you can't get him to budge, it's not the end of the world.

Over these 28 years, you've got to have developed some great relationships, both in the company and with vendors/suppliers/partners.  Ask them to write recommendations for you on Linkedin on your profile.  To make it easy, do some research on what goes into the best-written LinkedIn recommendtions, then write a draft of each recommendation that the individuals can each customize by adding their own personal details or style to the text.  Once they've agreed to do the recommendation (and let them know you'll help draft it to make it easier - a good incentive for them!) send them the draft in an email and let them revise it and paste it into the LinkedIn recommendation interface.

The fact that you were in 3 positions at the same company over 28 years is in itself a recommendation.  You don't have to get your boss' recommendation to be validated.  Actually, the recommendations of colleagues and external people you did business with may carry more weight because they're actually more transactional.

By the way, to do all this, you already have to be connected to your recommenders on LinkedIn as 1st-level connections.  So if you're not a LinkedIn user already, you should get busy building out your profile (see other messages on this thread).  You'll need a good LinkedIn profile in any event as you embark on your next act.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 62

testing

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 62

I would like to know what to do if I don't have any job references. I have had my same boss for 28 years (3 different jobs). I have told him I want to leave to do something different. He said if I leave he won't give me a reference.

Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Re: Want to take your career to the next level!

Message 18 of 62

Hi, Olif @Olif  -

We're only conducting public conversations regarding career questions.

I encourage you to post your questions here.  Please also review the other questions and responses on this thread for helpful information!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Want to take your career to the next level!

Message 19 of 62

I wish to inquire about a number of concerns regarding to career change.

Please forward all replies directly to me. I will reply accordingly

Thank you.

Olif Spear

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 62

Thanks, Tim - @tw38214439 

Well, you've certainly picked a very high-end way to go.  All of the tools work well, but they are expensive (esp. Clickfunnels), but they do work.  My only concern is that you're investing in the big guns before you have the audience or the proof-of-concept for your program.  Better to start smaller and cheaper and develop your audience, find out through direct feedback what they actually need, want, and like.  Paid ads can deliver these people to you, but unless you've nurtured them with your content and engagement, you're going to get a really low conversion.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your ads are selling your program, not signing people up to your list.  From my understanding of digital marketing, that's risky.  

I get that you are indeed an expert in your field, and that can go a long way towards driving conversion.  But that also depends on your price point.  Testimonials are also key, so if you don't have credible clients who've been through your training, you're likely going to lose conversions.

I can't stress how important your content marketing is to this process (blogging, articles, interviews, social engagement).  You have be perceived as an expert not only by your b.g., but by the content and detailed information that people can get from you that supports your program.  It's the premise that you have to basically give away a large proportion of your content to persuade people that the remaining 20% (or whatever) has got to be worth the hundreds of dollars you're asking them to spend.

Wishing you all the best with this!

Kudos
Views