Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Job searching and networking

My name is Ariana Curiel.  I currently work at a non-profit organization, but I would like to transition to working in a library or library-related job.  I earned my Master's degree in Library Science in 2013.  How do I go about job searching for entry-level positions?  How does one network when not currently employed in the field one wants to work in?

0 Kudos

Ariana @a740905c,

My suggestion to you is to be direct. Go to the library and ask for the manager or managing director about resources for employment. Ask how to best get your foot in the door. Don't be afraid to ask him/her how they got started. People usually love to tell those stories to others. You just may not get an entry-level job but one higher. Present yourself well. Don't be afraid. Have a few copies of your resume ready and in a nice portfolio. Get the person's name and be sure to send a "thank you" card afterwards. Yes, people Remember those little extra touches and it just might get your resume pulled to the top of the pile. One last thing, Google search "librarian professional organizations". There just may be one near you that you could join and network in.

Sharon

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP