Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

I'm 65, and I'd like to do something else as a job

Contributor

I'm 65, and I'd like to do something else as a job

I have worked since 1985 as a freelance editor, proofreader, and translator (German/English). I've loved working on my own for a variety of publishers. I'm 65, and I have some health issues that are very painful. Stress really exacerbates my conditions. Publishing work can be very stressful, due to deadlines, authors who may be difficult to work with, and so forth. And in addition, I've done this for most of my working life. I'd love to be doing something different--and part-time and preferably from home (the last is not an absolute requirement).

I have a B.A. (German and English), an M.A. (German Literature and Linguistics), an M.S. in Ed. (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; the degree was no help whatsoever in learning to teach English), and a J.D. I have taken--and flunked--the Florida Bar Exam, and I don't have any desire to take it again. 

Other jobs and/or volunteer experiences I've had: bookseller at bookshops; working in libraries; working in veterinary clinics, animal shelters, and animal rescues; in-house legal editor; volunteering for a hospice; teaching and tutoring German; making and selling knitted projects and jewelry at an art cooperative (no longer in existence). I have no objection to going back to school for a program that doesn't last too long (two years' maximum). 

I love knitting, reading, animals, the beach, traveling, learning new arts and crafts.

If anyone might have any suggestions for me, I'd be eager to hear them. Thank you so much for your help!

Hazel

Hazel Blumberg-McKee
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP