Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask The Expert: Upskilling/reskilling in a Competitive Job Market

Retired Community Manager

Ask The Expert: Upskilling/reskilling in a Competitive Job Market

This event has come to close, however, remains open to viewing. Thank you!

Join Susan Weinstock, AARP Vice President for Financial Resilience, for a discussion on strategies to help reposition your career and job search in a competitive job market.

We understand the challenges that the 2020 coronavirus pandemic has had on the working population and we want to help address the specific challenges of the 50-plus.

Through its various programs and offerings, AARP helps experienced workers put their best foot forward when looking for a job or to those seeking to remain competitive in their current careers. From job search tips to how to better showcase your skills, you can count on our experts to help you navigate your job search or career journey.

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos

Hi, @Susan, before we wrap things up, will you share with job seekers which AARP and other resources are available to help?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks @AARPLynne! AARP has lots of resources that can help job seekers. Please go to our Job Board at www.aarp.org/jobs. You can also see the over 1000 employers that have signed our Employer Pledge and affirmed the value of older workers at www.aarp.org/employerpledge. These employers also have a special logo on our Job Board to show users that they are interested in hiring experienced workers. Also, if you want to get a free critique of your resume, go to www.aarp.org/resume. We held an Online Career Expo last week and you can view the webinars on demand at www.aarp.org/onlinecareerexpo. Finally, for general content about remote work and changes because of Covid-19, go to www.aarp.org/work. Thanks and best wishes to all of you in your job search!

Susan Weinstock

Many thanks, @Susan, these are some terrific resources for participants take home.

Thanks to everyone for your excellent questions and to our AARP Expert, Susan Weinstock, for all her time and consideration. You're invited to join the conversations any time in the Work & Jobs forum and/or start a new topic of your choosing. Best wishes to all! 

0 Kudos

UPDATE: Good morning to everyone who joined us for Ask The Expert: Upskilling/reskilling in a Competitive Job Market!

Please join us January 6-13 for Ask the Expert: How to Stand Out in Your Job Search. We hope to see you there!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I already repositioned my career to the retirement couch!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you offer any classes on how to install a webcam and use Zoom?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here is some information on Zoom that might be helpful: 

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/personal-technology/info-2020/how-to-use-zoom.html

Susan Weinstock
Social Butterfly

Thanks anyway but I’m retired.

0 Kudos

Good morning, @Susan, can you share why it's important for workers to explore new skills or update new ones? What's a good way to get started?

0 Kudos
Contributor

@Susan I am curious about other members. I have begun some education online in digital marketing. It seems to fit nicely into a retired lifestyle. Providing additional income potential with the flexibility to do it when I feel like it not when some boss needs or wants me to. Do other retiree members here work in digital marketing now? If so are you finding any Success With It?

A point I've often felt strongly about is that younger folks are considered digital natives. But when I entered my first serious career is the year that IBM really came out strongly with PCS and they began to dominate offices. We plugged floppy disks in and out of Dos machines. A few were Mac users but not very many. So the meme that folks over 60 have no digital confidence or competence is simply false. Do you agree with that?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@AARPLynne, I'm so happy to join this discussion. Covid has really hurt a lot of workers, especially women who have had to balance working and caregiving. For those who have lost their jobs, now would be a great time to think about upskilling or reskilling to stay relevant in the job market.

Have any of you taken a class online? How was it?

Susan Weinstock
Contributor

I am curious about other members. I have begun some education online in digital marketing. It seems to fit nicely into a retired lifestyle. Providing additional income potential with the flexibility to do it when I feel like it not on some boss needs or wants me to. Do other retiree members here work in digital marketing now? If so are you finding any Success With It?

A point I've often felt strongly about is that younger folks are considered digital natives. But when I entered my first serious career is the year that IBM really came out strongly with PCS and they began to dominate offices. We plugged floppy disks in and out of Dos machines. A few or Mac users but not very many. So the meme that folks over 60 have no digital confidence is simply false. Do you agree with that?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I completely agree!! For the first time in history we have 5 generations in the workforce. We know that a multigenerational workforce is more productive, more engaged and lowers absenteeism. 

If a company is building a mass market product or service, they would be well-served to have diversity in their workforce, gender, race, ethnicity and age are all important. 

Folks who developed many aspects of the internet are now older workers and are still engaged in this work, so "digital native" is kind of a misnomer in my opinion.

And let me say, good for you for reskilling! This is a great time to be doing that - lots of online classes that folks can take. Go to the website of your local community college - they offer very affordable classes (sometimes free depending on your age) and you can take a course or earn a certificate that you can add to your resume and LinkedIn profile. 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

Hi, @Susan, along those lines, I know a lot of people after recent job loss are not sure they want to go back to a full-time "in-person" job during/after the pandemic. How can job-seekers go about exploring flexible, remote or part-time opportunities?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

AARP's Job Board is a good place to start. Go to www.aarp.org/jobs to see jobs posted by employers interested in hiring older workers. Also, go to www.aarp.org/work and you will see lots of articles and information about remote work, part-time work and the like.

I'll also mention the Online Career Expo again. You can register here: www.aarp.org/onlinecareerexpo 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

AARP is hosting an Online Career Expo on January 28 that will include lots of great information on finding part-time, full-time and work from home positions. Here's the link to register: 

https://onlinexperiences.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowUUID=96E9A4CB-A2AD-4035-8...

Or go to learn.aarp.org and scroll down to see information and the link to register. 

Also, www.aarp.org/jobs links to our Job Board which has lots of positions for older workers and our Resume Advisor will give you a free critique of your resume - www.aarp.org/resume

Hope this is helpful!

Susan Weinstock

Good morning and thank you for joining this important discussion with AARP Expert Susan Weinstock. @Susan, let's get started with a question we often hear. In your experience, what are some realistic steps a person can take to have an edge over the competition during the job search process, especially in these times?

Note to anyone who may be joining us for the first time. To participate, please log in then click "reply" to post your question below. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I know it's hard to believe given all of the online jobs we see posted, but most people find their jobs through good old-fashioned networking. I know it's hard to do while in the midst of a pandemic, but it's worth it. Of course, networking these days will need to be virtual. Take a look at your LinkedIn profile and see if it needs a refresh. Then check the friends of friends to see if there's anyone you'd like to talk to. See if you can get an introduction from your friend. Try your alumni association, community groups, church/synagogue etc. All of these organizations are places where you can meet people and learn about what they do and see if they have any job openings.  

Susan Weinstock

Hello, everyone! We're getting started on Monday. However, please feel free to leave a question in advance. Thanks for being here!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP