Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Your network is your secret weapon: Tip #1

Super Contributor

Greetings and thank you for joining! For this week’s tip, I tapped into the expertise of AARP Work & Jobs Editor Kenneth Terrell. Let’s get started!

One way that previous work experience may help you is through the contacts you have made with people in your industry. Because they have personal knowledge of your skills and achievements, they can recommend positions and employers that would be a great fit for you. And, just as important, they can be your key to the hidden job market — roles that get filled without ever being advertised.

There are many ways to build and use your network successfully. LinkedIn and other social media sites can be an efficient way to reach out to former colleagues. Keep in mind that your younger co-workers may also have valuable advice about strategies for finding jobs today. You can find more tips about how to network successfully by clicking on this article.

About: Kenneth Terrell covers employment, age discrimination, work and jobs, careers and the federal government for AARP.  

Susan Weinstock
Super Contributor

Please join us January 6-13 for Ask the Expert: How to Stand Out in Your Job Search.

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I’d like to join you but I’ll be out of town with no internet access. Will there be a rerun?

Kudos
Views
Retired Community Manager

Hi, @2Papa, thanks for expressing your interest! There won't be a rerun per se. When the session is over, it will be closed to participation but available for reading. That said, we'd gladly welcome a question(s) from you in advance. Feel free to post an early question for Susan to be included during the session. Thank you and enjoy your time away! -Lynne

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP