Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Survivors Benefit Question

I was married to my ex for 10 years and we have 3 children I am 59 and recieve social security disability. . His current wife is going thru a divorce after 12 years and has kids from a previous marriage but no kidd with my ex. So my question is if he passes who receives his survivor benefits?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Stoneye wrote:

I was married to my ex for 10 years and we have 3 children I am 59 and recieve social security disability. . His current wife is going thru a divorce after 12 years and has kids from a previous marriage but no kidd with my ex. So my question is if he passes who receives his survivor benefits?

Maybe both of you if eligibility is met - at least up to the maximum that can be distributed under the workers record for survivors.

SSA.gov - Survivors Benefits 

or

SSA.gov - Survivors Benefit - pdf booklet publication

But what about when he retires but before he dies since you are disabled and on SSDI - if your SSDI benefit is LESS than what you would receive as his divorced spouse, then it may warrant have the SSA taking a look at the numbers cause as a divorced DISABLED spouse you could get these divorced spousal (as differing from survivors) benefits starting at age 50 - especially if the kids are younger than 18.

This option would just depend on your specifics.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

potentially both spouses. has nothing to do with who was married the longest as long at you where married 10 yrs and 1 day you can be eligible for survivor benefits from a ex spouse. hope that helps

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP