Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Surviving Spouse benefit choices???

Contributor

Surviving Spouse benefit choices???

Hopefully this is a quick question and response. 

I just lost my wife recently, she was received disability social security because of advanced cancer and was 61 when she passed away.  I am not currently taking social security because I am working part-time and only 63.  Our full social security benefits are very similar.  She was receiving $2,108 before taxes and medicare deductions, mine at 66 and 2 months (full social security for me) will be approximately $2,300 before taxes and medicare.  Would it make sense for me to take my survivor benefits at about 65 years of age and wait until 70 before taking my own?  Especially since the amounts would be so similar? We were both K12 teachers.

I do not need to take her survivor's now and can wait (if I am allowed) but I would take her social security around 65 and then mine at 70. 

Does it work that way??

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@4khansenwrote:

Hopefully this is a quick question and response. 

. . . . . .  Would it make sense for me to take my survivor benefits at about 65 years of age and wait until 70 before taking my own?  Especially since the amounts would be so similar? We were both K12 teachers.

I do not need to take her survivor's now and can wait (if I am allowed) but I would take her social security around 65 and then mine at 70. 

Does it work that way??

So Sorry for your loss -

Yes, it does work that way -

.SSA - Benefit Planner: Survivors

Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age (FRA) as a survivor. If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age.

. . . . If a person receives widow's or widower's benefits, and will qualify for a retirement benefit that's more than their survivors benefit, they can switch to their own retirement benefit as early as age 62 or as late as age 70.

. . . . If the worker ( your deceased wife) started receiving retirement benefits before their full retirement age, we cannot pay the full retirement age benefit amount on their record. The maximum survivors benefit is limited to what they would receive if they were still alive.  

This is a good article:

The Balance 08.08.2017 - Social Security Benefits for Widows and Widowers

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

ok... my wife was disabled at 57 with her advanced cancer.  So she received SS based on her full retirement age and not her age at time of disability.  Does that mean I collect on her full retirement benefit or some reduced benefit based on the fact that she started collecting at a younger age (even though it was the full amount?)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@4khansenwrote:

ok... my wife was disabled at 57 with her advanced cancer.  So she received SS based on her full retirement age and not her age at time of disability.  Does that mean I collect on her full retirement benefit or some reduced benefit based on the fact that she started collecting at a younger age (even though it was the full amount?)

From my SSA link below -

Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age (FRA) as a survivor.

If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age.

As permanently disabled, you wife was drawing her full benefit - 

If you as her survivor start drawing before your full retirement age, there would be a reduction in the amount because of that condition.

If you take the survivor benefit at about 65 years of age (your initial post) and your full retirement age is 66 and 2 months (your initial post), there would be a slight reduction in the survivor benefit amount because you are taking this benefit earlier than your (as the survivor) FRA.

Most likely, in $$ numbers, this reduction will be smaller than what your will be gaining by NOT drawing YOUR own old age benefit until you are 70 years of age and getting the delayed credits.

To maximize both, if possible - take the survivor benefit at 66 and 2 months (your FRA) and then switch to YOUR OWN earnings benefit at 70.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP