Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Spousal benefit

This one is like a trivia. I have attended few SS seminars and has not received, correct answer. I have tried to simply the question by trying to create a make believe case. Male A - marries at age 25, wife is B. Divorced wife B and married to wife C at 35. Divorced wife C and married to wife D at 45. Divorced wife D and married to E at 55. He divorced from E at 65. Thus, male A married to four times, each marriage with wife B,C,D and E lasted full ten years. Assume ideal condition that none of wives is remarried and had no Social security contribution, meaning they cannot receieve any benefit based on their own contribution as there is none. Now when Male A reaches full retirement age of 67 and starts his social security benefits, assuming that he receives $1000 monthly benefits, what would be the spousal benefits for his divorced wives B, C, D and E. Would each receive $500, or $125 (which is $500, divided by four)?
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

mp70559584 wrote:
"I have attended few SS seminars and has not received, correct answer."
My reply,
Have you ever looked at the SS website, https://www.ssa.gov/ , to see what it says? Look at the FAQs.
Have you visited your local or closest SS Office and asked them?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Has done both.

There is no specific answer...provides general rules and it is a guess work. Local SSA  rep.s gave conflicting answers. One say all of them get half, other say the half of spousal benefit gets divided into four.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP