Contributor

Social Security for Couples

Are there any long-term negative ramifications for a couple when one spouse (Spouse 1) with a lower monthly SS benefits starts to receive SS benefits @ 62 ($500 per month) and then the other spouse (Spouse 2) starts SS benefits at FRA ($2,800 per month & 4 years after my Spouse 1 started)? This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits). Thanks

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DouglasH148739 wrote:

Are there any long-term negative ramifications for a couple when one spouse (Spouse 1) with a lower monthly SS benefits starts to receive SS benefits @ 62 ($500 per month) and then the other spouse (Spouse 2) starts SS benefits at FRA ($2,800 per month & 4 years after my Spouse 1 started)? This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits). Thanks

I believe, if I am understanding your post correctly, that this will answer your question:

AARP: Can I file for my Social Security at 62 and switch to spousal benefits later? 

However your last sentence is incorrect.

You said: 

This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits).

Because Spouse 1 had already filed for their own benefit at age 62 (early retirement) when they switch to the Spousal Benefit after Spouse 2 starts receiving their retirement benefit at FRA, Spouse1 will get a reduced Spousal benefit based on when they filed (early).    In other words, Spouse 1's Spousal benefit will be reduced by whatever % that their own benefit was reduced at the time they filed early for their own benefit - so the Spousal Benefit will be less than 50% of Spouse 2 benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Put on your boogie shoes for the Daybreaker Live: Saturday Morning Fever: A Disco Dance with AARP! Shake your groove thing to live performances featuring Sister Sledge and Indigo Girls on June 26, 2021 at 11 a.m. ET. Register Here AARP Daybreaker Live: Saturday Morning Fever

Members Can Earn Cash Back

Earn 3% cash back rewards at gas stations and drug stores with AARP Membership. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Join Us For a Concert!

Celebrate Black Music Month and learn more about the powerful connections between music and health during an AARP virtual performance featuring R&B singer Raheem DeVaughn on June 28, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. EST. Register Here.

AARP Concert Series