Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security for Couples

Are there any long-term negative ramifications for a couple when one spouse (Spouse 1) with a lower monthly SS benefits starts to receive SS benefits @ 62 ($500 per month) and then the other spouse (Spouse 2) starts SS benefits at FRA ($2,800 per month & 4 years after my Spouse 1 started)? This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits). Thanks

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DouglasH148739 wrote:

Are there any long-term negative ramifications for a couple when one spouse (Spouse 1) with a lower monthly SS benefits starts to receive SS benefits @ 62 ($500 per month) and then the other spouse (Spouse 2) starts SS benefits at FRA ($2,800 per month & 4 years after my Spouse 1 started)? This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits). Thanks

I believe, if I am understanding your post correctly, that this will answer your question:

AARP: Can I file for my Social Security at 62 and switch to spousal benefits later? 

However your last sentence is incorrect.

You said: 

This assumes that Spouse 1 with the lower SS benefit, starts to receive full spousal benefits (50% of the Spouse 2 benefits).

Because Spouse 1 had already filed for their own benefit at age 62 (early retirement) when they switch to the Spousal Benefit after Spouse 2 starts receiving their retirement benefit at FRA, Spouse1 will get a reduced Spousal benefit based on when they filed (early).    In other words, Spouse 1's Spousal benefit will be reduced by whatever % that their own benefit was reduced at the time they filed early for their own benefit - so the Spousal Benefit will be less than 50% of Spouse 2 benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP